Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car "off the road" permanently

Options
  • 23-01-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I inherited a car from my mother almost 3 years ago. It has been taxed, insured, and NCT'd up until now, and driven on an occasional basis by my father. I don't drive. My father will now no longer be driving the car, and neither will anyone else. I don't imagine I'm likely to have much luck selling it - it's 15 years old, and while it's been very reliable up to now I think it's in its last days. Starting driving soon and buying a new(er) car with the gf. The old one will probably end up being scrapped.

I've just had a reminder saying it's due an NCT. The tax and insurance will be up shortly. Do I need to do something to declare the car "off the road" permanently? There's no point paying for tax/NCT/etc as it's not going to be driven again, but the reminders threaten dire consequences if they're ignored.

Had a look on Oasis and Department of Transport (with half their links broken) websites but couldn't find anything appropriate. Any suggestions of even who to contact about this would be welcome - should the motor tax office be my first point of call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sell it as scrap on buy & sell, and get a couple of hundred euros for it.

Better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What kind of car is it? Alot of people like to buy dirt cheap cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Mitsubishi Colt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm looking for a car to fiddle around with, i'd be more than willing to take it off your hands, name a price? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Mitsu Colts are incredibly desirable - you'll shift it no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

White Bishop motors have "bangors for cash" deal where they knock €2000 off of the proce of a car from them in return for your "bangor"...

id go for something like that... its a change to be able to screw over a car dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

youll never screw a car dealer, you might think you are, you might want to ,you might like to, but the average joe soap will never ever screw a car dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

old boy wrote:
    youll never screw a car dealer, you might think you are, you might want to ,you might like to, but the average joe soap will never ever screw a car dealer.

haha got the t-shirt on that one...

had on old volve 340 that i wasnt using... my cousin was buying a golf... the 340 was getting gear box problems not worth fixing for what the car was worth but still not noticable to much yet(unless your a mechanic)...anyway i signed the car over to him...

the dealership he went to had a trade in offer like white bishops one...

they gave him 1800 off a new golf... for a car that was ready for scrap(unknown to them)...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

hobochris wrote:
    haha got the t-shirt on that one...

Eh, as per old boy's post: nope ;)
    hobochris wrote:
    they gave him 1800 off a new golf... for a car that was ready for scrap(unknown to them)...

He would have got 1800 off with no trade in

Advertisement