Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen cover for chips?

Options
  • 23-01-2007 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if I can get my windscreen replaced under my glass cover due to chips? Theres a big-ish one right in my line of view that's driving me mad.

I suppose what I'm asking is, are the glass replacement co.s loyal to the insurance companies that pay them, or the customers who give them the work?

On a completely unrelated topic. Has anybody accidentally broken/cracked a windscreen? How did it happen? Was it as simple as, say, pouring a kettle of boiling water on it tomorrow morning when it's frozen? Or was there a better, more reliable way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am actually sitting here waiting for a windscreen replacement as part of my policy. Some chips and a crack in the windscreen. There is no excess unless stated. Autoglass apparently have a system where they can fill in some windscreen chips. In short contact your insurance company. You could also contact the glass replacement company as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A guy I work with called out a firm to replace his chipped windscreen (on his insurance). When the guy came out he told my mate that by rights, given the size of the chips, it was company policy to just fill them. But he replaced the windscreen anyway.

So I suppose there's some flexibility, if you're lucky.

Update: From the Autoglass website:

"As a rule, if the windscreen chip is smaller than a €2 coin, we can usually repair it"

[ http://www.autoglass.ie/ > FAQs > Repairing Windscreens > Do I have to replace a chipped windscreen? ]

As for accidentally cracking a windscreen, I've seen it done with a petrol lawnmower that hit a small stone hidden in a lawn. Your chances of successfully re-inacting that incident are pretty slim, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭maidhc

milltown wrote:
    Was it as simple as, say, pouring a kettle of boiling water on it tomorrow morning when it's frozen? Or was there a better, more reliable way?

A hammer will probably do the business. They fall accidentally sometimes.

Advertisement