Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which method of changing oil is better?

Options
  • 23-01-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

The guy in the past used to change by loosening the bolt under the sump and let the oil flow out.

My new guy puts a rod into the place where you check your oil and sucks the oil out.

My question is, is one method better than the other or are they much of a muchness?

Thanks in advance JD!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would have thought the old fashioned way would be better as it would flush out any gunk in the bottom of the sump. I may be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Definately the old fashioned way of draining from the sump is better, you get rid of all the oil

I have to use the dip-stick method on my boat, only gets about 3/4 the oil out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you might want to shorten the service interval a small bit if your using the dip thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote:
    I would have thought the old fashioned way would be better as it would flush out any gunk in the bottom of the sump. I may be wrong though.

I totally agree. Also, a lot of cars have a 'magnetic' sump bung which attracts fine particles of metal. Its a good idea to remove the bung and clean it once in a while. A 'Dalek" will suck the oil out, but is less likely to suck out oil that has gone 'sludgey' or any metal shavings on the bung.

If the manufacturer thought that sucking was sufficient then they would have ommited the sump bung.......................

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

crosstownk wrote:
    I totally agree. Also, a lot of cars have a 'magnetic' sump bung which attracts fine particles of metal. Its a good idea to remove the bung and clean it once in a while. A 'Dalek" will suck the oil out, but is less likely to suck out oil that has gone 'sludgey' or any metal shavings on the bung.

If the manufacturer thought that sucking was sufficient then they would have ommited the sump bung.......................

Ya, I throw an engine flush in every couple of services too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks to all who replied, I might ask him to do the old method or discuss it with him.

Thanks JD!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

don't discuss it - tell him! If he continues to suggest the suction yoke then walk away as he then knows sweet fa about engines!

Advertisement