Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Automatic Options

Options
  • 22-01-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

The wife is looking for a small (cheap) automatic, for tipping about the city.
    I can only think of the Punto Selecta but even they are rare.

Any ideas anyone or anyone know of one for sale ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diamonds&cream

How about an Opel Corsa auto/easytronic/tiptronic. comes in 1L/1.2L depending on the year. What year are you looking for/budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Civic, Yaris, Micra or Colt ...... stick with the Japs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Budget of only 2-3k I would say.

Neither of us are keen on Jap cars to be honest, they forget to add a soul !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

RobAMerc wrote:
    Budget of only 2-3k I would say.

Neither of us are keen on Jap cars to be honest, they forget to add a soul !:D
    At that kind of money I would only concern myself with reliability. What use is Italian soul if the car is parked up, at the side of the road. The Auto gearboxes in older budget european cars are notorious for giving problems and are very expensive to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

The wife is looking for a small (cheap) automatic, for tipping about the city.
    I can only think of the Punto Selecta but even they are rare.

I could'nt think of a worse car than this ... never mind someone actually thinking it has a soul
    At that kind of money I would only concern myself with reliability. What use is Italian soul if the car is parked up, at the side of the road. The Auto gearboxes in older budget european cars are notorious for giving problems and are very expensive to put right

Agreed, a Jap is the only way to go on this budget. Although small autos can be difficult enough to find as their quite popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm a big fan of automatics, but I wouldn't be too inclined to buy an auto in a car less than 1.6 - preferably 2.0. Smaller engined autos seem to be very sluggish compared to the manual versions.

Most small autos tend to be ex-rental cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Jap Import Mitsubishi Colt Auto with air con and electrics if you can find one.
    Very reliable and more pleasant than all the rest of the similiar jap stuff.

I could make a case for a manual Punto if you were on a budget but not the Selecta under any circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Barr wrote:
    I could'nt think of a worse car than this ... never mind someone actually thinking it has a soul

Do you have experience of one ?
    Did it give trouble, not drive as you like?
    crosstownk wrote:
    I'm a big fan of automatics, but I wouldn't be too inclined to buy an auto in a car less than 1.6 - preferably 2.0. Smaller engined autos seem to be very sluggish compared to the manual versions.

I aggree and would consider this were this not a strictly a city car. It will sit in traffic most of the time where the small engines lack of grunt wont be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I agree with the other posters, for that low a budget I'd get a Nissan Micra 1.0 with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Slow as a dog but should be fine for city traffic. Reliable, cheap to run and there are plenty (mainly Japanese imports) around. You'd probably get a '98 or '99 low mileage one for your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Do you have experience of one ?
    Did it give trouble, not drive as you like?

Not me luckily enough..there was a girl at work who had one ,gave her constant trouble with gearbox and engine.
    The cost of the repairs in the end were more than the value of the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

unkel wrote:
    I agree with the other posters, for that low a budget I'd get a Nissan Micra 1.0 with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Slow as a dog but should be fine for city traffic. Reliable, cheap to run and there are plenty (mainly Japanese imports) around. You'd probably get a '98 or '99 low mileage one for your budget
    My wife had a Micra 1.0 with NCVT and it was dog slow. But in the city thats not going to be real problem. It was perfectly reliable.

Advertisement