Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exempt from VRT?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Sorry for starting another thread... As some of you may know I just bought a car in the UK, so will have to register it when I get over here.

I just got to thinking.... I have been renting and living (Mon-Fri) in the North since September, and will be doing so until next summer so in total I will be living in the North for just under 12 months. Would I be exempt from paying VRT when I move back down to the Republic after the summer if I can prove that i've been living in the North for over 6 months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/practical-issues-when-travelling-to-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland/?searchterm=vrt

You are excempt as long as you can prove that you have owned the car abroad for at least 6 months. i.e. If you are just after buying it now you would have to wait untill July to register it in Ireland.

They are fairly strict on it so you will need some fairly solid proof that you were living up there.

One catch is, if you register the car without having to pay the VRT, you cannot sell the car on to someone else for at least 12 months.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Slightly off topic, but while we are on the subject, are any um... minorities exempt from vrt? I keep hearing that from people and I didn't really believe it as there's nothing on the government sites that I could see about no vrt for members of the travelling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What BnA said ^^

@OP, do you have a northern bank account? Did you make regular ATM withdrawals? Have you utility bills in your name that will cover Jan-July of this year? Keep it all as you'll need it

Just to make BnA's point clear. You bought it at the end of January '07. You can register it at the end of July '07. You can't sell it until the end of July '08 unless you pay VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm planning on keeping the car. The only proof I have is the rent book that I get the landlord to sign, all bills are included in my rent. I don't have a Northern Bank account though, I do all my transactions in the republic as I study at IT Sligo during the week. The car will be left at the property in the North during the week as I get a lift to college. Only driving it get's is when I visit my father in Galway some weekends, but i'm living and paying rent in the North.

JohnCleary wrote:
    I'm planning on keeping the car. The only proof I have is the rent book that I get the landlord to sign, all bills are included in my rent. I don't have a Northern Bank account though, I do all my transactions in the republic as I study at IT Sligo during the week. The car will be left at the property in the North during the week as I get a lift to college. Only driving it get's is when I visit my father in Galway some weekends, but i'm living and paying rent in the North.

I don't think that's enough, but could someone that has tried it themselves please share their experience?

• Advertisement

As unkel said, if anyone has any experiences from legitimate VRT exemptions i'd like to hear them. Not interested in trying to con the revenue, but the way I see it, I spend 9 months of the year living up the North, and will continue to do so until next year when I move back to the Republic permanently

JohnCleary wrote:
    I spend 9 months of the year living up the North

And so you should be able to avail of the free VRT! Now we need to find out exactly what "evidence" you need to produce to prove your residency

Or is it in somewhere in this link from the sticky:

Importing from the UK - Definitive Guide

unkel wrote:
    And so you should be able to avail of the free VRT! Now we need to find out exactly what "evidence" you need to produce to prove your residency

Or is it in somewhere in this link from the sticky:

Importing from the UK - Definitive Guide

unkel - I'm going to go into the VRT office and get it in writing tomorrow to be sure. I will post up here when I get a definitive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I can't find the details online at the mo, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the exemption does not apply to someone living abroad for the purpose of studying!

So for you living in the North and studying in the Republic I would expect that your chances don't appear good...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I brought 2 cars from Australia last year. The MercML was mine for 6months prior to leaving - I had to have proof of residence for over 2 years - electricity bills, bank statements, I also had to have proof that the car was used in Australia - insurance and roadtax statement (saved about 30K less shipping). I also brought a classic car- porsche 911 that because was over 30 years old there was 50 euro VRT, but because I owned it less than 6 months I had to pay VAT and duty (3000 euro).:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Section 134 of the Finance Act 1992 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA9Y1992S134.html states that the address must be your "normal residence". You may have a bit of difficulty convincing them that, while in NI for 9 months or so, it was your "normal" residence as you only stayed there Monday to Friday.

Section 134 of the Finance Act 1992 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA9Y1992S134.html states that the address must be your "normal residence". You may have a bit of difficulty convincing them that, while in NI for 9 months or so, it was your "normal" residence as you only stayed there Monday to Friday.

I stay there most weekends, but ever 2nd or 3rd weekend I go 'home' to my Fathers house.

Thank fo rall the info - I'm going to call into the VRT office tomorrow. I have allowed for VRT in my budget, but why pay something if you migh tnot have to. I'm 99% that I WILL have to pay it, as mentioned above, i'm living in the North studying, not working

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Certain you have to reside abroad for 12 months at least. Think studying does not qualify. You have to have documentation to prove your residency - payslips, rent receipts, utility receipts etc. Check www.revenue.ie where you will get all the regulations. No need to call to the VRO.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement