Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new diesel Hatchback - need advice

Options
  • 22-01-2007 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going to be doing a lot of mileage in a new job ( 20-25k miles/yr)
    I've been advised to get a diesel.

I have a golf 1.4 petrol, worth about 14k to trade- and I dont want to spend more than 14-15k on top.

Im looking at the ford focus 1.6 , golf 1.9 and might take a look at the new toyota auris . Anyone got any advice as to who makes the most reliable diesel engine?

I do think that the build quality of the cabin in the golf is better than the focus. But the VW is at least 3k more expensive and very much on the edge of the budget.

Do you reckon a diesel hatchback will be hard to sell on in 3yrs with 75k miles on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

So you have in the region of €28-30k to spend?
    Considered the Leon 2.0 TDI S - €29,600
    or if you could find a few more quid the
    Leon 2.0 TDI FR 170BHP - €34,180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I hadnt really considered Seat
    I dont know anything about them - are they fairly reliable, hows the resale value? the lower priced one might be worth a look alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Seat have VW parts, with better quality control than VW these days! Resale was always only meodicre on the Leon, but the new model is getting popular, which should mean that it'll hold its value reasonably well.
    You should consider the Mazda 3 1.6 diesel. Excellent engine (same as one in Fords).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should also consider the Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi. With a budget of €30k you should be well able to pick one of these up with a nice spec. The 2.0 TDi Ambiente is around €27,500.

The Octavia is also based on the Golf/Leon platform, interior and boot space on the Octavia is fairly big.

Thanks for the options.

i looked at the mazda 3 when it came out - and bought the golf instead! Just couldnt warm to the interior.

On the flip side, the octavia has an almost identical interior to the golf. I may take a look at that, but that octavia body has been around ages now, there must be a make-over /redesign coming soon on that.

I've been to 2 ford dealers so far, they both thought it was a bit weird to be buying a diesel in this class. I reckon most diesels sold are usually bigger cars.

Shame that civic hybrid is too damn expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

What about a peugeot 307 1.4 or 1.6hdi?I used to drive a 1.4hdi.I couldn't fault it although a little underpowered for overtaking.Other than that a very economical and quiet diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Moanin wrote:
    What about a peugeot 307 1.4 or 1.6hdi?I used to drive a 1.4hdi.I couldn't fault it although a little underpowered for overtaking.Other than that a very economical and quiet diesel
    nah, the Pug 307 is getting old and is not the most reliable.

I'd say Golf or Octavia or Focus......

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i think the focus has a common rail engine so its 1.6 will be stronger and a lot lighter on fuel then the 1.9 golf, and cheaper to tax

vw aren't going to sell common rails until jan 2008

Dundhoone wrote:
    On the flip side, the octavia has an almost identical interior to the golf. I may take a look at that, but that octavia body has been around ages now, there must be a make-over /redesign coming soon on that.

Octavia is around since 2004 which is around the same time your Golf came out. The current Octavia just looks very similar to the previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

bazz26 wrote:
    Octavia is around since 2004 which is around the same time your Golf came out. The current Octavia just looks very similar to the previous model.

Am with Buzz on this one, Octavia all the way 1.9 TDi for €26000 or a little less. How could you turn your nose up at that.

Theres alot of taxi drivers in Ireland that would agree with this as well, as the buggers have most of them pre ordered.

My gf's parents have an 06 Octavia 1.4, while its slow its drive and feel is very impressive, better VFM IMHO.

Seen a new 07 Octavia RS drive down my town the other day in Arden Blue and it looks very nice indeed, defo the car for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I agree 100% - nothing beats the Octavia in that price range for value and spec plus you could fit a small African village in the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Lots of people mentioning the Octavia, which is an excellent choice.
    However, if you want negligible depreciation, then I'd look at the Toyota option.

You will have people queing up to buy it from you in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

It depends what you want:

Keep up with the joneses: Golf
    Decent car to drive: Focus
    Small capacity engine: Corolla
    Jack of all trades: Octavia

The Octavia is very bland, inside and out, the engine is well outclassed, and it isn't all that cheap anymore. I almost bought a new one 12 mths ago, but in the end I am glad I saved 15k and bought a 3yr old Focus TDCi (with Fords own 1.8 engine). It is an OK car though.

The 1.6 Focus is only availabe here in 90bhp, which really isn't enough for a person doing serious mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I personally would not buy a VAG 1.9 TDI 105 bhp as I think they're old hat now and will be less popular in the future as small diesels start to take over. In terms of reliability I don't believe VAG are any better than other European makes although the resale values of VWs are generally good.

How about the new KIA Ceed, AFAIK it will have a 1.6 litre diesel. Will probably cost about 22-23k and has a 7 year warranty which puts all other manufacturers to shame. Same size as a Corolla and looks no worse IMO. edit: looks like the Ceed diesel isn't availabe here, maybe it will be introduced later

eamon234 wrote:
    I agree 100% - nothing beats the Octavia in that price range for value and spec plus you could fit a small African village in the boot!
    Nothing except the Mazda 3 saloon... similar space, nicer looking car, better engine, better spec!
    Shame the OP doesn't like the interior, which I think is not only better than the plasticy looking 6 interior, but more exciting than the VAG group (skoda included) interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Biro wrote:
    Nothing except the Mazda 3 saloon... similar space, nicer looking car, better engine, better spec!
    Shame the OP doesn't like the interior, which I think is not only better than the plasticy looking 6 interior, but more exciting than the VAG group (skoda included) interior.
    Very hard to sell on and bad residuals, a friend had an immaculate, low mileage year old for sale and couldn't get rid of it, it was the 1.4 petrol version. He had to keep dropping the price and took a big hit on it in the end. If your worried about residuals then my advice would be to avoid the Mazda 3.

yellow012 wrote:
    Very hard to sell on and bad residuals, a friend had an immaculate, low mileage year old for sale and couldn't get rid of it, it was the 1.4 petrol version. He had to keep dropping the price and took a big hit on it in the end. If your worried about residuals then my advice would be to avoid the Mazda 3.
    A 1.4 octavia won't exactly be a goldmine either. I reckon see what the diesels loose first, then compare.

maidhc wrote:
    It depends what you want:

Keep up with the joneses: Golf
    Decent car to drive: Focus
    Small capacity engine: Corolla
    Jack of all trades: Octavia

The 1.6 Focus is only availabe here in 90bhp, which really isn't enough for a person doing serious mileage.

This sums it up nicely.

I'd consider the 1.4 corolla diesel....but that new Auris is about to be launched...and i think without a diesel option.

Got a good price on a new 105bhp golf .....so the focus 1.6 90bhp and golf are going to cost me the same money to change.

Octavia ruled out as its nearly a golf but not quiet. Im going with my snob side on this one, I've put the accountant back in my pocket:D

Can I get some basic advice on diesel engines?
    Am I buying it because it does better mpg or do they hold value better at higher mileages?

Everyone just says - lots of miles to drive = diesel!!!

Not sure if the economics of whats saved on fuel purchase over 3 years is greater than the increased cost of the car. Is it a false economy? (damn I let that accountant out again.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

If its your own money would you not consider buying a second hand car, you can get a 01- 02 C220 CDI coupe for 20k less if you import, the older shape C class with that engine is supposed to be great also.

Let someone else take the hit.

I would rather have the 2.0 TDi Octavia over the 1.9 TDi Golf anyday. The 1.9TDi engine is now past it's sell by date and the badge on the bonnet or nice plastics on the dashboard will not change that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The 1.9 is better on tax, insurance and returns better MPG, it will be easier to sell on than the bigger 2.0. I haven’t had a drive in the 2.0 but have had a van with the 1.9 PD (105bhp) and even in the van it was quiet and refined on the road, this is where the OP is going to be spending most of his time.

Its certainly not past its sell by date, another thing is common rail diesels (1.6 etc) have yet to be proven as far as reliability/longevity is concerned.

The 1.9 is better on tax, insurance and returns better MPG, it will be easier to sell on than the bigger 2.0. I haven’t had a drive in the 2.0 but have had a van with the 1.9 PD (105bhp) and even in the van it was quiet and refined on the road, this is where the OP is going to be spending most of his time.

Its certainly not past its sell by date, another thing is common rail diesels (1.6 etc) have yet to be proven as far as reliability/longevity is concerned.

I cannot see how there is much of a difference in running costs between a 1.9 and 2.0 litre diesel. If you can spend €30k on a car, surely a few more euros on tax is not going to break the bank. It seems to be only a mental block with some people not wanting to go to a 2.0 litre. Most of the French diesels have now moved from 1.9 to 2.0 diesel. Also the 2.0 litre is more refined and performance is way better than the old 1.9 litre. The 1.9 TDi is a good unit but has now been surpassed by the 2.0 TDi and other diesels out there. Have a drive of it in the Passat and you'll see why, I reckon the only reason they offer it is because of lower VRT.

Regarding how durable common rail technology is, well it has been around now since the late 1990s (introduced by Fiat) and there have been no problems with it to date to my knowledge. Most car makers are now moving to common rail diesels these days.

bazz26 wrote:
    Regarding how durable common rail technology is, well it has been around now since the late 1990s (introduced by Fiat) and there have been no problems with it to date to my knowledge. Most car makers are now moving to common rail diesels these days.
    Even VW in 2008!

Diesel Smeesel !

Im going to debunk this diesel myth once and for all. I'd welcome you diesel loving folks comments on my new thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045494

Advertisement