Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got any classics yet

• 22-01-2007 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

I checked out the argos on Childers Road in Limerick. Only classic they had was Prime, which I bought. Anyone seen Grimlock Megs or Screamer yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Picked up Classics Megs in WoW in Carlow tonight, priced at 30 quid, nice toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have Astrotrain, Mirage and Prime. I recommend them all.

Id just like to add something. Now some people have been voicing concerns about the price of Transformers in this country compared to the US. Its simple really. The cost of living for EVERYTHING here is high. The rate of VAT here is 21% while in America its only 6 or 7 (and remember they have to add the extra tax on top of the prices displayed in shops making products appear cheaper than they are.).
    Don't forget that the minimum wage in this country is about €7 (thats $10) per hour. In America the minimum wage is much much lower. So pricing is relative to income, not just for transformers but for goods in general.

xanthor wrote:
    Logic? Reasoning? Begone with you!
    Im sorry, you just gave me my first legitimate laugh of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well they got prime and megs in smyths in tallaght. seen em today on me way home, DONT have much stock though. decent enough looking toys but to be honest i think they shouldve gone for a european original for megs. just cause the yanks cant tell the difference between a toy and a weapon is no reason for the rest of us to be punished. the damn thing looks stupid.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Don't forget that the minimum wage in this country is about €7 (thats $10) per hour. In America the minimum wage is much much lower. So pricing is relative to income, not just for transformers but for goods in general.

I don't think it evens out at all. Remember we pay higher taxes for poorer services.

Plus, there's no reason why the markup HAS to be so high.

Much of Toybiz's stuff was sold closer to US Prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭padimus

I've picked up Prime and bumblebee. Both are well worth the money. I'm not too sure about Megs though. Is he worth getting?

roll on Jetfire, Grimlock and Starscream

xanthor wrote:
    Are you sure that toy guns in realistic colours aren't frowned upon in any European countries?

dont think so, not in ireland anyway. you can still get pretty realistic looking M16's and Uzi's in smaller toyshops. at least it looks like ya can considering all the little feckers running around with em in my estate. plus it didnt seem to stop me getting my reissue of original G1 megs a few years ago. think it was toymaster on talbot street. that said that was about a decade ago (needless to say i was delighted to get me hands on that one:D )

as far as i know most countries that dont allow their citizenry's to buy leathal weapons remarkably dont have a problem with toy guns looking real ;)

yup, kinda like a european exclussive thing like overlord. prehaps tied to the asian market depending on their policies on it too.

theyve done it already, the USA never got the reissue of G1 megs that i got (and there was much gnashing of teeth and wailing about that one i can tell you !) i really do have to go up the attic and check out when that toy was for sale, should be on the box somewhere. (the disadvantage of old age, you'd swear its only a year or two ago and find out its 10!:D )

it could work, the UK ireland and france alone would make it profitable, factor in the rest of the EU and you'd be set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

xanthor wrote:
    Turbomasters/Predators - designed in the U.K.

Ah that explains why they looked like crap

• Advertisement

not to mention the really powerful spring firing mechanism. you litterally could take some ones eye out with them. :D

i thought the reason overlord didnt make it to the US was because of the "shatter" test they have. cant see him surviving a large fall at his size

some of the more "dodgy" shops in ireland got in on that. they were flogging pretender monsters in heatons, though individually ,and i never saw the entire line up. the parts were there to form monstructor but not the full members of the team so i let em slide.

places like "apollo 1" that used to be on o connel street sold skylynx and trypticon. never seen em myself but my neighbour bought em. pretty cool bots. i never found out how these really small shops managed to get these fairly exclusive toys but credit em for some of the jewels of my collections, such as devastator and the respective bot and con clones (the cons in particular are damn cool!:D ),paddy barrets on henry street was a goldmine for that.

pity theyre pretty much all gone now.:(

last thing i remember getting in one of em was the decep clones in paddy barrets and that was around the same time G2 megs was released so thats what 92?

in regards to the drop test, you have to laugh at it. anyone that would drop fortress maximus from that height would have me more in fear of the fecker chucking it at me than stabbing me with brittle shards :D

incidently was arseing around on play.com and if you go to the gadget section and type in transformers you get 3 pages of classics:D ok theres some minicons and cybertron stuff but a surprising amount of new gear on display. most of which you cant get till august off em. they even have a listing for masterpiece megatron (bloody expensive too at 155 euro, primes alot cheaper! still its out the 30th of march)

just thought it be worth checking out if anyones interested :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

incidently was arseing around on play.com and if you go to the gadget section and type in transformers you get 3 pages of classics:D ok theres some minicons and cybertron stuff but a surprising amount of new gear on display. most of which you cant get till august off em. they even have a listing for masterpiece megatron (bloody expensive too at 155 euro, primes alot cheaper! still its out the 30th of march)

just thought it be worth checking out if anyones interested :D:D

I don't think Play deliver anything from the Gadgets section (or Electronics , for that matter) to Ireland though.

I picked up Classic Jetfire and he more than fills the gaping hole in my life left by G1 Jetfire. A must have IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

meant to say was in smiths in tallaght today and they had one jetfire in stock. have to admit he's bigger than i thought he'd be. im holding out for a grimlock myself but must admit its a lovely looking toy , could be tempted yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Galvasean wrote:
    I picked up Classic Jetfire and he more than fills the gaping hole in my life left by G1 Jetfire. A must have IMO

Yeah, shame his articulation kind of sucks though. Most of the classics are the same... I bitched about Ball Joints a lot but now I realise why they were there :(

I was hoping Jetfire could do some kick ass Macross/Gundam-ish poses, but sadly not. It looks weird that his thighs are ALWAYS facing the front.

It's the best Cla Voyager though, with Megs not too far behind.

Advertisement