Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€6000 Budget. What Car?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My girlfriend has just got a new job and our working hours differ by about 1.5 hours so we are thinking of getting a 2nd car. We currently have a 99 Polo 1.0. We are also buying a house this year so the budget available for a 2nd car is pretty slim but we can afford up to 6000 euro.

We live about 30 minutes from work so im not really looking for a city type car, something around 1.4 - 1.6. What do you guys recommend ? I'm not overly worried about looks but reliability is a high concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I would highly recommend the old model Nissan Almera saloon. The new model came out in 2000, however, you should be able to pick up a good '00 of the older model for around €5,000.

From personal experience, ( I have one, 100k plus on the clock & not a days trouble with it ) & from speaking to mechanics they are one of the most reliable cars out there & the old model is more reliable than the newer one.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A couple of options tbh.

I'd immediately suggest a Honda Civic.

Other than that, a Ford Focus is decent, I've had mixed reports back from Opel Astras, and haven't heard a bad thing about Skoda Octavias.

Of course you could stick with VW and go with a Golf or Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A nice clean Civic saloon should be attainable for around the €6000 mark. Honda are number 1 in the reliability stakes! Mazda 323 would be a sound buy also, or as mentioned the Almeara. The newer almeara has a 1.5, and really is a sub-standard engine coming from Nissan. Might be better off with an older shape 1.4 and save on the tax! A corolla might find itself within that budget, but is usually dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I suggest one of these. You will get a lot of change to which yopu can put to your new house. There good looking, very reliable and have tonnes of toys.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=526821

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

connundrum wrote:
    and haven't heard a bad thing about Skoda Octavias
    Haha you can't be serious. I know of one where the engine actually FELL OUT. Literally on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm with Gary the Great on this one, but I'd reccomend the newer model 323
    98-03

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Skyuser wrote:
    Haha you can't be serious. I know of one where the engine actually FELL OUT. Literally on the ground.

I don't think that is actually physically possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'd highly recommend a honda civic

Advertisement