Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there more pressure on an SOHC exhaust?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Is there more pressure on an exhaust system from an SOHC engine, compared to a DOHC engine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That depends on the exhaust system and not the type of valvetrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The engine has a 140hp output and the cat converter is attached directly onto the engine block.
    It's the new honda 1.8 civic engine ,with lift technology.

I'm getting a sound from the exhaust system and I can't help thinking theres movement between either the block and the converter or the converter and the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Ohhh... you asking the right person there (JHMEG) _Brian_ !

Care to elaborate on the noise (growl, rattle, groan, etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Its like a dry groan/growl and it's mostly between 1700-3000rpm.
    Regardless of whether I take off or sit still.

It's like when the valves are wide open I get the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Isn't that as a result of the variable timing? You can normally hear such "groans" as the cam-phase or valve timing is changed (well you can on i-vtec CR-V and vtec Civic).

Also isn't the new Civic drive-by-wire? You won't know what the engine timing is really up to...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Just had a look at pics of that engine (have never seen on in real life). Interesting in that it's SOHC and therefore doesn't have cam phasing and therefore also does not qualify for the original definition of i-VTEC, but i-VTEC can mean anything now.

Looking at the valve train the VTEC operation is on one intake valve only. Other valves are not affected.

As jayok says it is possible you are hearing the differences between VTEC on and VTEC off. It's more likely tho that you're hearing this through the induction system than though the exhaust (as VTEC is on an intake valve). On previous SOHC VTEC engines this change is very subtle and can't be heard too easily. (DOHC is easier to hear as the exhaust valves are also affected)

According to Honda VTEC is "on" (in this case for economy) between 1000 and 3500 RPM on this engine (your rev counter may not be 100% accurate).

PS. I wouldn't describe the VTEC sound as anything other than a change in engine note! ;-)

Advertisement