Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ads ever be a thing of the past?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Obviously I dont mean rid the world of ads [i wish]
    But does anyone think they'll ever sort out the problem of 5 4min Ad breaks in the middle of TV shows?

Its the worst thing ever!

1: It kills a shows continuity, particularly with a drama
    2: Each set of ads is usually the exact same real, zzzzzzzz
    3: Lots of people will watch somethin else til the show they're watchin starts back, but sometimes forget abt it, and miss it [worst thing ever!]

Why cant they just stop bein stingey baxtards and cut down the air time of the ads, or even show them all together. I'd rather have 20 mins of ads between shows and have the show play through fully

wha y'all think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

of course you'd rather 20 mins of ads, you wouldn't watch them then.. which would kind of defeat the entire purpose.

ads = money . if you want them to stop using ads, give them bucketloads of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you dont want ads? pay more. problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

"Sky+" here and "TIVO" in the U.S are putting a curb on adverts but it is not something that the majority has access to at the moment.

Adverts are part of T.V cullture, yes they are infuriating but on the majority we've learned to live with them. However Sky Digital are just taking the mick by lumping on all the ads at the same time as all other channels.

Tbh OP do yourself a huge favor and dont go to the good oul U.S of A, a T.V is basically an ad-box with a program on for time to time. I counted for every 15 minutes of a T.V. show there was 15minutes of ads, carve out your eyeballs frustration!

Ads believe it or not actually aid us in our daily lives too, by doing what they do best......advertise. They inform you and us of new products and services that will at some stage be relevant to you, the problem lies in the fact that 99% of the ads are irrelevant to 'you' and here is where the hate stirs!

I hate ads but after spending the summer in the states.....we dont got it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Personally, I don't think there will ever be an end to ads. They are, after all, one of the main ways televisions stations gain their revenue.

Wasn't there supposed to be a channel on TV where it showed nothing but ads?? I'm unsure whether it was on SKY or on american tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

abetarrush wrote:
    3: Lots of people will watch somethin else til the show they're watchin starts back, but sometimes forget abt it, and miss it [worst thing ever!]

He He.

I always laugh when i hear someone say that. i dont channel surf i might txt someone or maybe do a quick check on any DL's or boards. I might make tea or even throw on a bit of munch. Always something to do during ads.

And to answer the OP's question yes there will always be ads but i will do my best to cut them down as much as possible when i try to take over the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Without ads, tv stations don't make money...... Hang on, the BBC manages through it's license fee, what's RTE's reason?

Essentially there's not enough people in Ireland to only rely on license fee alone, making TV costs a lot!

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Kojak wrote:
    Personally, I don't think there will ever be an end to ads. They are, after all, one of the main ways televisions stations gain their revenue.

Wasn't there supposed to be a channel on TV where it showed nothing but ads?? I'm unsure whether it was on SKY or on american tv.
    Yes, there was a TV channel on Sky dedicated to adverts, though I think it didn't survive long, even with all the ads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Without ads, tv stations don't make money...... Hang on, the BBC manages through it's license fee, what's RTE's reason?

The BBC have 1.5 billion to spend on TV but lets not go down that road again.

RTE don't show that many adds they can only show 9mins of adds every 60mins ditto TG4. The commercial stations are allowed show more adds I think 12 mins but could be wrong.

I think it is policy to average it out over the day hence more adds during primetime.

I like adds, I like to take a break every now and then. ;)

I hate the way BBC news insists on pretenting to have adds. Coming up on BBC news....... only to have the news report read out in full 2 mins later. :rolleyes:

If i am a fan of a TV show I won't turn over during the ads. No one touches the remote we're watching 24 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

they're essential for toilet breaks :). Was waiting a while for an ad break to go the toilet during a film on christmas day, could have been messy :p

Advertisement