Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Fans gettin all the credit

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the UK gettin most of the credit for makin 24 so big?

Any interview I've watched [which woulda been on a UK channel] with Kiefer, he says 24 never really started out great in the US, but was a hit in the UK, and constantly says the UK specifically

And the whole CTUagent.com comp is for the UK only
    [UK mob number needed]

I'm sure they're a big part, but not the only part. Its clear 24 is a hit all around Europe, with the boxsets in other languages, its even on RTE!

Anyone else feel this way?

Needless to say, its still the best show I've seen in years. yay 24!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Meh. But we can make this the biggest 24 forum in Europe if we try. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

abetarrush wrote:
    Anyone else feel this way?
    No. It was the UK that made it a hit.

It started on BBC2 (Sunday nights i think) well before RTE. And there was lot word of mouth of it in the UK and became something of a sleeper hit for the BBC.

(I didn't dip in till episode 3 after orders from a cousin in Scotland :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Been watching since minute 1!
    Seen the trailers and the whole "Real-time" thing caught my attention. The fact that Kiefer was in it helped too. Great Actor.

Think the UK puts pressure on a lot of American shows these days including Lost, Sopranos and Prison Break.
    If there is a break in these shows the largest outcry usually comes from this side of the atlantic.

That said it is important to know when to STOP making the show and NOT to make spin offs!
    (Imagine a spin off alá Joey except it would bve called Chloe!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Gillie wrote:
    That said it is important to know when to STOP making the show
    It's already past that point. Duh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you are obviously mentally not sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

SofaKing wrote:
    No. It was the UK that made it a hit.

It started on BBC2 (Sunday nights i think) well before RTE. And there was lot word of mouth of it in the UK and became something of a sleeper hit for the BBC.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened so I reckon it's a fair and accurate statement by Kiefer. Okay, yes, we were able to watch it in this country too on the BBC so technically he should also have given the Irish BBC watchers a nod as well but, in reality, he's American (well, Canadian to be exact. Well actually, to be even more exact, Anglo/Canadian having been born in England. Okay, okay, enough already, you get what I'm trying to say! :D) and probably didn't know that the Irish were also able to watch the British Broadcasting Corporation, so I think he can be forgiven for forgetting about us Irish viewers, can't he? ;):D

I only started watching the show towards the end of series one (when there were about 3 or 4 hours left, I think) on the recommendation of friends and people on some British message boards who had been watching on BBC. They were all raving about it so I thought I'd give it a look and I've been hooked since. So for me as well, I have to say, it was also the BBC showing of it that got me into it.

And Gillie, you're spot on I think about how the UK viewers and networks now do seem to have a lot of sway over some of the US shows at the moment as well. I read somewhere a few years back that one of the reasons why Fox decided to start broadcasting '24' in January instead of September or October as they had done with the first few series' was because of the fact that they used to have to stop the show in the middle of it's season run for a few weeks due to the American television "sweeps weeks". This then meant that there was a delay before the season was finished and that then meant there was a delay before it could be shown in it's entire run over here. Hence why the first 3 series or so were about 4 to 6 months behind over here. With the move to January, and the edition of a few double episodes during the series, they could then show the series in one long, continuous run until the finish with no breaks of a few weeks or whatever and it meant there was no longer a need for a 6 month wait over here anymore. This, then, has of course now lead to the fact that we now have Sky showing '24' just a week or two behind the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

24 did start on the BBC by about 2 weeks before RTE.

RTE passed out the BBC during the first few weeks of the show by showing double episodes.

RTE where ahead of the BBC during season 2 also.

RTE where actually a head of Sky for series 3.

and then they when and ****ed it up by scheduling it on Tuesday, no wait sunday, no wait friday no wait ahhhhhhhh, for season four which sky had first.

Then they where miles behind sky for season 5, I stuck with them for the 5 season.

I don't think the OP was trying to suggest that it was only the Irish what he was trying to say was that it was just as much a sucess in every other area of europe not just in the UK.

However as Kiefer has pointed out the BBC didn't show adds when they had the series, and this was a major part of its success in the UK.

Also it became the first TV serial to keep a Major Motion Picture DVD out of the number one position when released in the UK....... Lord of the Rings. :)
    Hence why the first 3 series or so were about 4 to 6 months behind over here.

Lost is currently going out on RTE and Sky just as close as 24 is in the US.

I would say that it had more to do with continunity more then anything else, I don't like the long breaks that they put on US shows on US TV. I prefer to have 22 or so full weeks of a show.

General speaking since we start showing US shows in JAN/FEB of the following year we catch up with the US by the summer months, the only break noticed is in the US.

I couldn't wait for 24 to start over here I remember looking at the Fox website at the time and the 24 page, it was far better then I ever expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

True, i feel Ireland kind of lags behind when it comes to tv scheduling in that regard!:rolleyes:

Does kiefer HAVE any Irish Relitives, has he ever visited Ireland, does he even know people here love the show? sky one have irish opt-out for ads, so its kinda scabby when they play out a compitition for uk only....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

touche..........to be honest i kinda wish i ;ed waited till sept for the dvd,in stead of watching on sky 1 with7 minte ad breaks, x 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

True, i feel Ireland kind of lags behind when it comes to tv scheduling in that regard!:rolleyes:

Does kiefer HAVE any Irish Relitives, has he ever visited Ireland, does he even know people here love the show? sky one have irish opt-out for ads, so its kinda scabby when they play out a compitition for uk only....:mad:

Sky couldnt care less about viewers in Ireland, only the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Didn't Julia Roberts feck off to Ireland with Jason Patric when she dumped him
    years ago. Maybe he has blanked us out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

sweetie wrote:
    Didn't Julia Roberts feck off to Ireland with Jason Patric when she dumped him
    years ago. Maybe he has blanked us out?

Well, considering he was over here just before Christmas 2005 promoting a gig that a band* he's the manager of were playing in Whelan's, I think it was, it think it's fair to say that he hasn't completely blanked out Ireland! He at least knows we exist anyway and has been here to prove it! ;):D

And did Julia Roberts feck off to Ireland, as you say, when she (practically!) dumped Kiefer at the altar all those years ago? It seems to ring a bell alright, I think I read somewhere years ago that she ran away to here alright but I wasn't completely sure or if I had just imagined it or something. Seems from what you said there that it wasn't just my imagination playing tricks on me after all then! :D

*(Rocco De Luca and The Burden is the name of the band, just so you know. And if you haven't seen it already, try and track down a copy of the accompanying documentary following their European tour called 'I Trust You To Kill Me'. There's some great footage of Kiefer getting drunk and going nuts........ including his infamous "takedown" of a hotel Christmas tree! ;) He comes across as someone who'd be a great laugh to go drinking with! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

*(Rocco De Luca and The Burden is the name of the band, just so you know. And if you haven't seen it already, try and track down a copy of the accompanying documentary following their European tour called 'I Trust You To Kill Me'. There's some great footage of Kiefer getting drunk and going nuts........ including his infamous "takedown" of a hotel Christmas tree! ;) He comes across as someone who'd be a great laugh to go drinking with! :D )

Lol, they should get him on the late late.

Advertisement