Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought my UK car :) - Quick question

Options
  • 21-01-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Well I won the eBay auction woohoo, so hopefully i'll be the proud owner of a 2002 320 diesel.

Quick question re V5. What exactly is the story here. The owner will have the V5. I sign at the bottom of Change of Ownership I presume? And do I keep a section of it? Sorry for the silly question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Take the full V5 - except for a small section he sends away to Swansea to say the car is being exported permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks KD. Wasn't too sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

JohnCleary you didn't strike me as a BMW driver - you seemed like a sound sort of a bloke !

Best of luck with it anyway Niall

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Wana give us a link to the ebay auction?

Noel - Out of the way a$$hole ;) Only kidding. I'm not a BMW head at all, when I see BMW I think "w4nker"... I better not look in the mirror too often! I was actually very close to buying a golf GT TDI but I can get the BMW for about the same price. Thank you for the good wishes, give me a bell next weekend you're in Galway

fletch - Will do once I complete transaction

Attached is a picture. Xenon lights, 74k miles, FSH, full leather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

@ OP, best of luck with the new wheels. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The seller if unfamiliar might try to keep the V5C to send to the DVLA and give you section 10 as would be the case for a UK Sale. This is not the correct procedure.

It is:

5. Q. I am selling/transferring my vehicle privately to someone that does
    not have a GB address. What do I need to do?

A. You should complete Sections 6 and 10 with new keeper’s name and address details. You will need to ask the new keeper to complete the V5C with the date they intend to export the vehicle and to sign and date the
    declaration. You should then detach Section 11 only and pass the remainder of the V5C to the new keeper. You will then need to notify DVLA in writing that you have disposed of the vehicle. The notification should contain the following details:

• Vehicle’s Registration Mark
    • Vehicle’s Make and Model
    • Date of transfer and
    • Full name and address of the new keeper

You should return Section 11 and your letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD

5b. Q. I am selling/transferring my vehicle privately to someone who does
    not have a GB address. What does the new keeper need to do?

A. The new keeper will need to complete Section 11 with the date they
    intend to export the vehicle and to sign and date the declaration. The
    new keeper should take the remainder of the V5C with them to aid
    re-registration in their home country.

More details of UK Vehicle Registration can be found in this leaflet:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

HTH,
    Mac P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

OP best of luck with your new motor. Looks to be a very nice colour. :D

Lads fairplay to ye, ye're a great help altogether :)

And thanks for the well wishes - I've bought boats from the UK before but never a car hence the questions. Plan on collecting next Saturday, i'll get some proper pics when I get her home and washed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear, JohnCleary!
    JohnCleary you didn't strike me as a BMW driver - you seemed like a sound sort of a bloke !

:eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Well done OP! Best of luck with it - make sure to post pics when you get her home.

Always browsing cars on ebay myself but thought it a bit dodgy to buy one on there. Changed my mind now - great to see a few people on boards doing it without problems - will be an option when the time comes to change my car!

The savings over the OMSP are massive even after VRT. The seller has said that when I come over if im not happy I can just walk away.

The truth is that the auction ended for less than he wanted (he never set a reserve) but he doesn't want to get bad feedback because he has a LOT of 100% positive feedback. I think he's hoping I won't buy it :D

So since I drive a BMW do I get to drive in my own lane, ignore traffic lights, be a snooty pr1ck and run old ladies over? :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well wear John, fair play for buying on Ebay, what cheking did you do on the buyer and car may I ask?
    Have contemplated it but was a bit unsure of ebay.

What sort of money did you save?

yop wrote:
    Well wear John, fair play for buying on Ebay, what cheking did you do on the buyer and car may I ask?
    Have contemplated it but was a bit unsure of ebay.

What sort of money did you save?

Did a HPI, asked the usual questions. Then rang him to confirm a few things, he said any inspection/test drive was welcome. He also said that when I get there if i'm not happy I can walk away (Only 8 miles away from Heathrow so just get a taxi back to the airport). Also gave me the registered address of the car and his home number (Rang him on that to check). Also rang up the place where it got it's last service, they said everything was in order with the car. Has an MOT and tax aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

everything sounds good. How much did it set you back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That sounds good John. Did you spend much time looking on ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

With all that info before you go you can be more confident than buying the same model here. Alot of the time asking about a service history in this country the salesmen would look at you as if you had 2 heads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

JohnCleary wrote:

So since I drive a BMW do I get to drive in my own lane, ignore traffic lights, be a snooty pr1ck and run old ladies over? :p

You'll miss the indicators,not fitted to BMW's :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Best of luck with the new bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

macplaxton wrote:
    The seller if unfamiliar might try to keep the V5C to send to the DVLA and give you section 10 as would be the case for a UK Sale. This is not the correct procedure.

It is:

5. Q. I am selling/transferring my vehicle privately to someone that does
    not have a GB address. What do I need to do?

A. You should complete Sections 6 and 10 with new keeper’s name and address details. You will need to ask the new keeper to complete the V5C with the date they intend to export the vehicle and to sign and date the
    declaration. You should then detach Section 11 only and pass the remainder of the V5C to the new keeper. You will then need to notify DVLA in writing that you have disposed of the vehicle. The notification should contain the following details:

• Vehicle’s Registration Mark
    • Vehicle’s Make and Model
    • Date of transfer and
    • Full name and address of the new keeper

You should return Section 11 and your letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD

5b. Q. I am selling/transferring my vehicle privately to someone who does
    not have a GB address. What does the new keeper need to do?

A. The new keeper will need to complete Section 11 with the date they
    intend to export the vehicle and to sign and date the declaration. The
    new keeper should take the remainder of the V5C with them to aid
    re-registration in their home country.

More details of UK Vehicle Registration can be found in this leaflet:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

HTH,
    Mac P

Be careful with this John, I rang the VRO office a few years ago when I did what you are doing now, They insisted on the Full V5 document, not a part of
    It. And heres the catch 22, how are you supposed to VRT the car in 24 hours when it can take weeks for your name to appear in the V5?

If you can, try to get the whole V5 off the seller if he will allow it(you can fill in all the parts mentioned above in macplaxton thread, but get the seller to photocopy it for himself.

If he doesn't agree to this, you might need to get a certificate of permanent export so that you can show this to the VRT people the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any chance of a link to the closed auction?

Advertisement