Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins on Newstalk

Options
  • 21-01-2007 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Should be on at about 11.30. Listen live here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*ck, I gather I missed it.

You know what show it was on? Was it just to promote his book? He end up debating?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hopefully someone recorded it. It would be interesting to see if he has improved his debating skills since this first interviews on Tubrity and the Late Late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I recorded it. I'll u/l it tomorrow. Haven't time now.

Cheers adam

Thanks! Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

You get a chance to do that today mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dawkins hasn't got much of warm reception from anybody in Ireland even those that nominally support secualarisation I don't think the article in the times weekend supplement was that good and the village has article was says his book is full of opinion and little science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Never realised what a plank Karen Coleman is until I heard Dawkins have to explain for the fifth ot sixth time that just because the thought of god or an afterlife might give you comfort dosen't make it true and still Coleman didn't get it. Fair play to him for calling the texter who said he must believe in hell because he said "hell of a lot" an idiot..Dawkins - the mans a martyr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

any sign of this going up on the interweb?

?

• Advertisement

Sorry lads I'm having a couple of problems with it. Hopefully be up in a few minutes.

Thanks for this, sorry for causing so much trouble for you!

Here you go: http://www.filefactory.com/file/f7db24/ (just scroll down to
    "Download for free with FileFactory Basic")

Sorry for the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

thanks. will listen to this tomorrow!

Cheers mate! What do ya think about sending the link in to richarddawkins.net? I can do it for you or you can, but it'd be good to share it with the world either way! :D Most of his RTÉ appearances are on that site already.

EDIT:

Just finished listening, he did very good :) Came across very well and answered everything fully.

I agree, good interview, he got his point across clearly. Some of the comments form callers were terrible tho. There are too many nut jobs rather than the moderate religious commenting. At least that guy asking about hell was rightly called a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

haha. really enjoyed that. interesting, entertaining and concise as ever.

I just dropped RichardDawkins.net an email with the link so maybe they'll put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Thanks adam.

Was intersting listening but unfortunately the questioning was the same old rehashed stuff that every other interviewer manages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

stevejazzx wrote:
    Was intersting listening but unfortunately the questioning was the same old rehashed stuff that every other interviewer manages.

That's the probem. It's always the same tired old questions every time, that he has already answered if people had bothered to do any research before he came on. It would be nice to see an interviewer actually ask him some challenging questions or probe his views from a different angle. He must be fed up having to explain the same things to people who just don't get it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Thought he was good. Some very good answers to difficult questions (e.g. why are people good?). Concise and articulate. Well done Richard.

The funny thing is there are plenty of atheists and agnostics here who would give Dawkins a really hard time in a debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Here's an mp3 of adam's upload. I made this to play it on my mp3 player:
    http://www.zshare.net/download/richard-dawkins-interview-on-newstalk-106-2007-01-21-mp3.html

stevejazzx wrote:
    Thanks adam.

yeah, did he make any comments on Ireland itself in any of his Irish interviews, he seems not to enage in local issues, did everysee him lecture infront of a 'normal' womens college and jerry fawells chrisition university, one of the girls asked him about jerry fawell and he avoided making much comment on hi, I would have like Dawkins to go up against a Irish politician or two.

Well we don't really have any really hardline Christian politicians, the ones we have do as they're told by the bishops because it keeps the majority of voters happy. It would be interesting to see him or Sam Harris for that matter on a really morally sticky issue like abortion tho with the religious and some politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks for the uploads.

She was totally out of her depth in that interview. Seems like she was just handed a fact-sheet minutes before the show and instead of putting her own well-thought-out questions to him, relied on listeners comments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ugh, hard to listen to the stupid comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

PiE wrote:
    Thanks for the uploads.

She was totally out of her depth in that interview. Seems like she was just handed a fact-sheet minutes before the show and instead of putting her own well-thought-out questions to him, relied on listeners comments.
    I would agree with that. I used to think she was an excellant journalist and gardually changed my opinion before the Dawkins interview. The interview was a complete farce, no complicated questions or depth to it.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote:
    Well we don't really have any really hardline Christian politicians, the ones we have do as they're told by the bishops because it keeps the majority of voters happy. It would be interesting to see him or Sam Harris for that matter on a really morally sticky issue like abortion tho with the religious and some politicians.

it doesn't need a hardline christian of the american type and it would be interesting to hear what a irish (generation gap,catholic status quo lover) politician would have to say.

Advertisement