Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4 Fuel

Options
  • 20-01-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just bought an Isuzu Trooper 3L turbo.Didnt think it was going to cost €75 to fill it though.My last van only cost €45 to fill..i have a mate who has a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5L and it only costs him €55 to €60 to fill...
    Does anyone know the best and cheapest 4x4 to run on diesel?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just because it costs more to fill the tank doesn't mean that it is less economical - it just means that it has a bigger tank.
    However, given the recent debates about 4x4s and fuel economy and how they are killing the planet etc surely you did some research before buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

True...don't feel too good on what any car or jeep that contaminates the air.They can make cars tomorrow that run on water or carbon.But the greed of rich countries rely on oil for their rich economies..I would like to buy a hybrid car/van i think they run on electric mostly but haven't got the money for a new one.I think diesel isn't so bad on the planet as petrol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also depends on how much is in the tank when you fill it.

My car has a 70L tank which should cost €70 to fill, usually takes €60, the difference depends on the petrol gague and the design of the filler system and when the pump clicks off. i.e how full it is when full.

A Hybrid 4X4 would be comparable in consumption with a diesel. The difference would be a slight saving on fuel but the performance of a V8 petrol.

Lexus market the RX 400h on performance not on fuel efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What it costs to fill the tank is irrelevant. Whats more important is how far it travels between fills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

crosstownk wrote:
    What it costs to fill the tank is irrelevant. Whats more important is how far it travels between fills.

My lawnmower costs 5 Euro to fill, but it never travels anywhere!
    Is the fuel evaporating? What's that in miles per gallon?

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

peasant wrote:
    My lawnmower costs 5 Euro to fill, but it never travels anywhere!
    Is the fuel evaporating? What's that in miles per gallon?

:D:D

That was just silly. You could actually work out what economy you get from a lawnmower by working out the area it has to cut and then comparing that with how much fuel it uses. And it does travel, around your lawn, unless you dont actually cut any grass wit it....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The cheapest 4X4 to run is probably something quite small and weedy. Like a Daihatsu Terios or something equally ghastly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That was just silly. You could actually work out what economy you get from a lawnmower by working out the area it has to cut and then comparing that with how much fuel it uses. And it does travel, around your lawn, unless you dont actually cut any grass wit it....:p
    lawnmower consumption would be dependent on grass height and moisture content. Tall wet grass will seriously reduce economy from a normal 2-3km/h down to maybe a few hundred m/h.
    Climate will also play a small part - if its very sunny & hot like many times last summer then the operator will require several rest stops for liquids, etc.
    The type of mower also will also affect fuel consumption. If it has a grass box then lawnmower travel will be interrupted to empty it. Fuel will be used during the se frequent interruptions even though the mower isn't moving.
    Lastly, you can have neighbours who persist in interrupting you to stupidly discuss the fact that you are cutting grass or something similarly stupid (like the 'will you do mine next' comments when you are washing your car). These interruptions will increase consumption as you reluctantly entertain your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

geez, starting to think there might be a market for hybrid lawnmowers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i looked at this a while ago, my criteria was the highest MPG in a vehicle rated to pull 2.2 tonnes
    The answer is a 99 on frontera 2.2 diesel.

second is a 99 on discovery diesel manual

drop the weight down to 2 tonnes and the freelander and bmw 530d are also in the running

the trooper comes in at 27 mpg officially

but yeah, the size of the tank is the only determining factor in how much a car costs to fill.

and wait till fuel prices rise again, and a fill will be costing you €80 or more. it's a dose, i run a range rover and know all about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

2 questions... isn't the trooper a 3.1 litre? And if mpg was a concern, do you really need a 4x4?
    The bigger ones (pajeros, landcruisers, troopers etc) are quite heavy on juice. 2 and a half tonnes plus a heavy transmission to turn...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

older Troopers were 3.1, but this was replaced by the nototiously unreliable 3.0

Advertisement