Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ebay, these can't be legit?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Firstly a 2005 BMW M3 for sale
    but the description is a little vague on no. of owners and registration (is it an Irish car). Anyway who would by a car like this off ebay? Oh yeah, and the seller has no history...

Secondly a 2005 range rover
    again vague on owners & registration. Even worse, half way down the ad it has "Please do not bid I will sell this car for only 10 000 GBP. Contact me fast".
    And again a seller with no history!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

fake fake fake. total fake.

Typical 0 feedback. Basicly:

You win auction
    They get you to pay for it, price includes 'shipping'
    Never arrives

I know because i'm currently looking for a car and have seen this on ebay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

all looks real to me...

is there a western union office anywhere in cork

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw another one. I was looking at a TOMTOM GO 910 navigation system. there was one seller with good feedback that was €50 cheaper with a buy it now price. I looked at the items that the feedback was on and he purchased 10 99p items mainly mobile phone sims and credit.

Did not keep track of the auction to see how it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Kinda funny that the Range Rover says they'll sell it for £10,000, yet there's currently 31 bids going up to €24,500 which is over £16,000 :D
    Also, it looks very dodgy that they're talking about pounds yet are allegedly Irish (plus what normal person writes "GBP"?), both those cars have UK plates on them, and they won't specify where in Ireland they are - they just put in "free" and "ifd" for the locations.

The scary part is that the current highest bidder for the M3 actually looks like a real person based on previous purchases (front parts and a wing from a Rover 75, other misc. car parts and a genuine sounding Honda Fireblade).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

never heard of places called "free" and "ifd" in Ireland :D plus, who has yellow regs in Ireland? (Southern of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

antodeco wrote:
    who has yellow regs in Ireland? (Southern of course!)

I have and I often buy cars off e-bay, you can go and look at them before you buy you know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Another one: http://cgi.ebay.ie/1998-Toyota-Supra-TRD_W0QQitemZ150083135454QQihZ005QQcategoryZ18290QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pics and specs stolen from http://www.cardomain.com/ride/266541 (I tried Googling a sentence from the description and there it was :) )

Another one: http://cgi.ebay.ie/1998-Toyota-Supra-TRD_W0QQitemZ150083135454QQihZ005QQcategoryZ18290QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pics and specs stolen from http://www.cardomain.com/ride/266541 (I tried Googling a sentence from the description and there it was :) )

thats just lazy... if you plan to steal 10k GBP at least write your own fake ad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Tbh, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to send money over to somebody to pay for a car that they have never seen and if they do then they deserve to get caught.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

:confused: Also he says it is RHD and if you look at the pictures it is LHD. Also the pictures look like an american neighborhood. Those houses would never last long in the damp weather in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

hmmm will have to pass them on to a mate who works there.. see what he thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

jhegarty wrote:
    thats just lazy... if you plan to steal 10k GBP at least write your own fake ad....

Not to mention the fact that the Toyota Supra in the photo definitely isn't in Ireland note the mail box fire hydrant and palm tree! Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

dingding wrote:
    Also the pictures look like an american neighborhood. Those houses would never last long in the damp weather in Ireland.

Nah, looks like Co Roscommon. I believe it has its own weather system and palm trees grow real well in the tropical climate down there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Be careful- a current scam is as follows:

The seller won't accept payment over ebay- and/or you go to view the car in person. You turn up with bank draft/cash, you meet up with a friendly guy, being the law-abiding individual he is, he says the car is down the road at his house, he didn't drive it as he is not longer insured. What a nice chap.

You arrive at a somewhat unscruplous destination and alas, there is no gleaming automobile hulking on the tarmac. Just some men. Men who appear when you have exited your money. Men who look like they are not employed for their intellectual capabilites.

You find yourself short one bank draft/your life savings in cash (cash out which ever is not applicable).

Despite my somewhat colourful description, this does happen. Hence why I reccomend you a few of the "boyos" view ebay cars if you are ever in such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dont eBay have a responsibility to protect punters from patently obvious fraud attempts :confused:

Grrrrr :mad:

C.D. wrote:
    Be careful- a current scam is as follows:

The seller won't accept payment over ebay- and/or you go to view the car in person. You turn up with bank draft/cash, you meet up with a friendly guy, being the law-abiding individual he is, he says the car is down the road at his house, he didn't drive it as he is not longer insured. What a nice chap.

You arrive at a somewhat unscruplous destination and alas, there is no gleaming automobile hulking on the tarmac. Just some men. Men who appear when you have exited your money. Men who look like they are not employed for their intellectual capabilites.

You find yourself short one bank draft/your life savings in cash (cash out which ever is not applicable).

Despite my somewhat colourful description, this does happen. Hence why I reccomend you a few of the "boyos" view ebay cars if you are ever in such a situation.

how would they go about cashing a stolen bank draft ?

jhegarty wrote:

That's what I was thinking - Just ring the bank and cancel it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The scam probably involves cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bbbbb wrote:
    Secondly a 2005 range rover
    again vague on owners & registration. Even worse, half way down the ad it has "Please do not bid I will sell this car for only 10 000 GBP. Contact me fast".
    And again a seller with no history!
    What have they done to it in this picture? It looks more like a hatchback than a Range Rover

http://i1.ebayimg.com/06/m/000/78/5d/a40a_19.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

jhegarty wrote:

You might be in no position to do so, I'm sure they could occupy you for half an hour. It only takes a few minutes to cash a genuine one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

jhegarty wrote:
    all looks real to me...

is there a western union office anywhere in cork

:confused::confused::confused:

Ha, Western Union, biggest money grabbers on the planet. They won't refund or be able to retrace that money once it's picked up either... It's basically a fraudulent company benefiting from fraudulent use of their service.

Unfortunately, although I've never used them (thank god), I know more than I should..

Ha, Western Union, biggest money grabbers on the planet. They won't refund or be able to retrace that money once it's picked up either... It's basically a fraudulent company benefiting from fraudulent use of their service.

Unfortunately, although I've never used them (thank god), I know more than I should..

I think he was taking the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

JohnCleary wrote:
    I think he was taking the pi$$

He might have been, but I'm not.

I was aware of every scam running possible which made use of the Western Union service... and cars was just a minor profitable source of these scams.

Advertisement