Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joanna Newsom

Options
  • 20-01-2007 8:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any Fans?

Went to see her in glasgow last wknd and she blew me away, i thought she'd be good but surpassed all expectations. Can't wait to see her again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

She's wonderful. I loved the first album but this new one is even better. So distinctive sounding, so many great songs. Did she have an orchestra with her in Glasgow or was it a solo show?

Oh and before anyone mentions anything, can I refer them to this thread first?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ya she had a mini orchestra with her. THey were deadly. Played Ys, and a new song with them and then she did about 5-6 songs on her own Bridges and Ballons. A Trad scottish one. An amazing version of Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie and ended on Sadie. Encore was Peach Plum Pear.

The venue was lovely too. I have 4 songs on video and i'll upload em to youtube at some stage. There's a cool version of Clam Crab from the MAnchester gig on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I love Newsom. I first heard her on Jools Holland a few years ago doing "the book of right-on", and I was transfixed.
    Y's is a fantastic album. I'm listening to it a lot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Her first LP is one of my favourites of the last couple of years but I'm really not all that keen on the newer one.. Really long songs are fine with me but I think in terms of emotional clout, wit and melody they don't have much of the potency of her first batch of songs.. and those strange lurching, fussy string arrangements don't really help. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please don't mention any MCD events please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saw her in the Sugar Club a few years ago and it was amazing. Can only imagine how good the new material sounds live.

Advertisement