Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service or Do it yourself?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are.

Basically I had a full service on the car last Summer where everything was done (My poor wallet knew all about it).
    However, I currently need a New Bulb for it, and wouldn't mind just checking other stuff while the hands are dirty, but having never done it before i was wondering if its better to do it yourself or take it in to be serviced.
    I don't fully trust mechanics, especially since i brought my Bike into one before, told them exactly what I wanted done, and then they went ahead and did more adding to the bill before claiming they legally couldn't give it back to me without making these repairs.

Also, wheres the best place to get a bulb for a VW Polo, preferably near the d6 area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They couldn't legally give you your bike back? Who the fsck do they think they are? A slap in the face should have followed when they said that.

RE: Service. I DIY. But if you're doing it for the first time, get a friend to show you how it's done for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I think it'll be well worth your while to do it yourself. Obviously in the financial sense there are obvious advantages but you would want to have some clue of what you're about. I agree with John, if you're unsure at all get someone to keep an eye on you the first time. If you get into the habit of doing it yourself, you'll have the reduced cost, convenience of doing it when and where suits you, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Well worth learning to do it yourself! lets face it labour rates are only going to keep going up....

I would say get a haynes manual for your car, if you can, and have a read over it... obviously if there's someone that can keep an eye on you it would be good too...

If your changing plugs be very very carefull about cross threading the new ones when your putting them in. There's a few simple things that you can do to avoid cross threading them... eg put them in by hand, you can push some flexible tubing over them to help them find the right thread or you can turn them anti clockwise till you hear/feel the end of the threads running over each other, do it a few times, then just after you feel it start turning clock wise, always do this by hand... a tool should be required just for the final torquing...

It's definitly not rocket science, and some of the time in garrages it's the appretices that do the basic servicing...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No disrespect to the OP, but I would be very wary of advising someone without the relevant expertise to try servicing their own car. Whilst I completely agree with the points made about saving money, knowing what's been done, personal satisfaction etc, there is also the potential for it all to go horribly and dangerously wrong. AFAIK, there are evening courses in car maintenance - I think one of these would be a good (and safe) place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doodee wrote:
    I don't fully trust mechanics, especially since i brought my Bike into one before, told them exactly what I wanted done, and then they went ahead and did more adding to the bill before claiming they legally couldn't give it back to me without making these repairs.

Sounds like a Simpsons sketch :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Anan1 wrote:
    No disrespect to the OP, but I would be very wary of advising someone without the relevant expertise to try servicing their own car. Whilst I completely agree with the points made about saving money, knowing what's been done, personal satisfaction etc, there is also the potential for it all to go horribly and dangerously wrong. AFAIK, there are evening courses in car maintenance - I think one of these would be a good (and safe) place to start.

I would agree with this. Had my brakes fail a good few years ago after a friend replaced the rear brake shoes He left out a part and the fell off the cylinders.

Car repair can be very dangerous unless you know what you are at.

Also many modern cars need special tools to do anything torx screws and other non standard types abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you are servicing your car yourself you have to get alxe stands and a proper trolley jack, also a couple of chocks for the wheels.
    Originally Posted by Anan1

Agree here but for basic maintance on an older car, like changing oil etc, most people be should able to do this. It's straightforward enough and also things like checking brakes is easy.

Never do something you don't know what you are doing, obvious but worth saying. Have a friend who is a good mechanic to help/guide you through. Changing brake pads/shoes is something that can be done easy but again have someone who knows what they are doing to help. Also be make sure you have all the parts you need before you start, as when the car is up on the stands you can't go anywhere.

OP, How old is the car? If it's new then you can't service it yourself as you can't reset the service light on some makes of car, and no garage will reset it for a DIYer.

Bulbs for a Polo can be bought in any motor factor, check the Golden pages for one in D6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

DIY all the way.

As a first-timer though, you 100% need to have someone with you who knows what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just a word of caution:

I am not a mechanic by any means, but am pretty OK at working on mechanical stuff, and have done stuff like changed gearboxes and clutches in JCBs.

However I still managed to leave the oil filter on the car loose the last time I serviced it. Had I not spotted it the night before I was to leave for Dublin it could have emptied on the sump on the road up. Thankfully no harm was done, but it scared the sh1t out of me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I DIY'ed it for the first time last summer. My advice:

1) Do your service - especially your first - when you have plenty of spare time, and you know the weather will be good if working outside.
    2) Get a Haynes manual for your car as suggested above and study it thoroughly.
    3) Make sure you get all the bits you need - don't forget stuff like the new sump washer/seal etc..
    4) Make sure you have all the right tools you need. As said above, all sorts of weird and wonderful bolts and nuts are used these days. A decent socket set is a must (with a spark plug extention) along with spanners, screwdrivers etc..
    5) Have plenty of old rags to hand - you WILL drop your tools repeatedly into the basin of old oil (if you're anything like me!!!! :D )
    6) Check that you can use the trolley jack safely - practice with it raising the car before you work. Always use the stands and always chock the back wheels.
    7) Oh, have a can of WD40 to hand as well. My sump plug was impossible to shift at first, sprayed some WD40 on it and eventually it loosened. I spent most time of my first service loosening the sump plug and the oil filter container (mine is a paper filter held in a metal case).

It's great doing it yourself rather than using a garage. Maybe use the garage every 2nd service and ask them to do the more fiddly stuff (like fuel filter, brakes etc.) until you are confident to do them yourself. Even doing the minor service (plugs, air/oil filters, oil change) yourself, you'll save a few quid.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    Just a word of caution:

I am not a mechanic by any means, but am pretty OK at working on mechanical stuff, and have done stuff like changed gearboxes and clutches in JCBs.

However I still managed to leave the oil filter on the car loose the last time I serviced it. Had I not spotted it the night before I was to leave for Dublin it could have emptied on the sump on the road up. Thankfully no harm was done, but it scared the sh1t out of me.

You claim to be a mechanic on powerboat.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭maidhc

JohnCleary wrote:
    You claim to be a mechanic on powerboat.ie?

Nope! Make no claim to be a mechanic anywhere, get seasick within 3 seconds of being on a boat, and have never heard of powerboat.ie. Same username?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Get yourself a haynes manual for your car. It'l show u how to do everything.

maidhc wrote:
    Nope! Make no claim to be a mechanic anywhere, get seasick within 3 seconds of being on a boat, and have never heard of powerboat.ie. Same username?

Must be someone else. Just they use the same username as you and are also from Cork

Advertisement