Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17" wheels ?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I have a 06 Audi A3 1.6 Sportback with 16" wheels and standard suspension. I was thinking about getting 17" wheels to improve driving dynamics, etc. Do you think it would make much difference? Would it have a large adverse effect on ride comfort?

Thanks,
    Charles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It really depends on what type of roads you drive.

Going from standard 16" alloys to 17" means that you will have to get a lower profile tyre to offset the increaded rim diameter. This can effect the comfort of the ride but not by too much imo.

Of course if your driving on bog roads with plenty of potholes you might find that the 17" alloys are more prone to buckels. I have 17" alloys on my car for the last 4 years and luckily enough I have not had any damage done to them other than a small few scuffs from kerbing.

I have seen plenty of A3s with 17" wheels so it is just something to be aware of with Irish roads the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Charles, I've got the 17" standard ambition (sport) wheels on my 05 A3... never have had a problem with potholes, never had a puncture yet. Ride is pretty stiff, but Audi suspension is hard regardless of wheel diameter.
    One thing to be aware of, the sports suspension on mine is 15 mm lower than standard... so your car may appear to ride a tad high with the bigger wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi all,

I have a 06 Audi A3 1.6 Sportback with 16" wheels and standard suspension. I was thinking about getting 17" wheels to improve driving dynamics, etc. Do you think it would make much difference? Would it have a large adverse effect on ride comfort?

Thanks,
    Charles.
    As bazz says, it depends on what type of roads you drive on. As a general rule, bigger wheels and lowered/hardened suspension will allow you to corner harder on smooth tarmac but will slow you down on rougher surfaces. Pretty much anyone going from 16" to 17" in this country will therefore be doing it for cosmetic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Charles Gamble

Thanks a lot for the advice. I mostly drive on good roads, I think I'll check out the prices of upgrading before deciding.

Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

with 17" try and keep the profile at least "45" as in 215/"45"/17

anything less than that, I think the ride confort is too compromised plus puctures become more frequent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Charles.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are 'driving dynamics', and how would they be improved by larger wheels with a lower profile? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good advice there ^^
    esel wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what are 'driving dynamics', and how would they be improved by larger wheels with a lower profile? :confused:

See Anan1's post and that a lower profile tyre usually is wider, having a larger surface of contact (grip) on the road

I have 18" 255/45 tyres myself and my car is lowered and the suspension is stiffened. It looks great and it's very sporty, but driving it on bad roads is a complete PITA. I've been lucky having burst only one (expensive) tyre on a pothole in 3 years and I'm quite careful :(

Advertisement