Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever had an accident?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Just a quick poll. I've been driving 6 years now and not had even a tip. My dad has been driving 50 years (partly for a living) and never had an accident!
    I am touching all the wood I can find while writing this!

Have you ever had a crash, your fault or not? 53 votes

In first year of driving
    0% 0 votes
    In my 2nd year
    22% 12 votes
    In my first 5 years
    16% 9 votes
    In my first 10 years
    16% 9 votes
    > 10 years
    16% 9 votes
    Never
    26% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mine doesn't fit into your poll. I had an accident after 13 years.

(Do skids on black ice count? No damage, except to my pride)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

only driving 2 years, but yet to have an accident (*touches wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Slow coach wrote:
    Mine doesn't fit into your poll. I had an accident after 13 years.

(Do skids on black ice count? No damage, except to my pride)

Oops, I'm an eejit. Pretend that 'In my first 10 years' is changed to '>5 years'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You could always just amend the poll!

Anyway, I had my first crash last summer. Someone drove into me on a roundabout.

Not my fault, but about €5k worth of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

drove my car into a wall once (or twice).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

a big milk tank hit into me last month, his fault. last week i crashed into a truck, my fault! 250e damage with this one... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had several:

3 months into having a licence, overestimated width of garage and dented daddy's pride and joy

several months into having my own car, reversed out of a parking spot into the road only to meet someone who was doing the same (on the other side) in the middle with a bang

several months later somebody crashed into me while I was slowing down for a narrow turn

about five years later I totalled my Mini while running out of road when the cars in front of me braked hard ...that's what you get from speeding and not keeping your distance in the rain.

two years after that somebody plucked me off my bike (no real harm done) while turning into my path without looking

but for the last 15 years ...no accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You could always just amend the poll!

Not sure how!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've had a few! Nothing for several years. The worst was a single car incident
    in a low sun/dirty windscreen/narrow back road situation. Wrecked the car which did a rollover! Could have killed myself but in the event only strained some shoulder muscles (seat belt) and nicked my left ear. I had my car totalled by a milk truck down in Cork once. Got a good write-off price for the car though.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I've had one, in my first summer of driving, a provisional driver (like myself) yielded for the car in front of me at a junction and didn't yield in time for me and drove right into me... I slammed the brakes, saved from most of the damage but my front bumper and left lights were rightly ****ed....

He paid for the damages himself and we did it without insurance. Strangely nobody will believe that it actually WASNT my fault.... lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Twice but neither were my fault (of course!).
    Once was when a locked fella walked out from behind a parked van into me.
    The other was when a man broke a red light crossing the single file bridge over the canal in Leixlip Confey.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never in >20 years of driving

*touches wood*

*touches wood again*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

No, but I was 3 seconds from being seriously injured or killed today. On the big roundabout this eve, over the M50 at the Blanch exit, I was at the red traffic light at the top of the slip road hill off the M50. I was stationary at the red light, then traffic light went green, I moved off, coming onto the roundabout and a silver Toyota Corolla comes barreling threw the red light from my right at say possibly 35mph, 15 foot in front of me. Some old woman was driving, who then jams on in the intersection, blocking the land going left down towards Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Was rearended 2 years ago having stepped on the brakes to avoid a pillock who thought it would be nice to skip the traffic queueing to get into the shopping centre at Blanchardstown.

Said pillock tried to get away, but I ran after him and caught up with him in traffic, got his details, etc, and he went on his way (refused to come back to scene). Luckily for me the woman who rearended me was waiting, and there were a few witnesses giving me their details (also angry at Mr. Pillock).

Gardai refused to follow up on it despite it being dangerous driving.

I still have yer man's details... wondering what sort of revenge I can get after all this time........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Driving about 8 years now. Never hit anything.

I have been in an accident as a pedestrian once or twice.

At about the age of 10 my mothers car won't start. Neighbours gave her a push. I thought it would be funny to hang on to the lip above the the passenger door as the car gets pushed. Suddenly it starts. There is poor Rabies hanging on to the car going up the road. car only travelled about 100m. Mother looks over, slams on the brakes and I end up getting wasted on the ground. Lycky I wasn't crushed by the car.

When I was 15 my Dad ran over my ankle. I was messing at the side of the car, when he was moving it out of the yard. When I yelled he stopped the car, but fu<king parked it on my ankle. No damage done, just lost skin.

At the age of 16 i was leading my horse home on the road. Some guy over takes me while a car is coming against us. He hits me but misses the horse. I get thrown in to the ditch. Couldn't walk on my right leg for a few days, muscles were badly bruised. The right side of my back was hit also, lucky he didn't break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I opted for never- my girlfriend's neighbour reversing into me while I was sleeping really is no fault of my own. Her tow bar put a colassal hole in my door- could fir both my hands in it. The insurance claim was very very messy- even though she admitted full liability. I had my driving test in 2 weeks, Allianz refused to pay for a rented car (provisional etc. etc.) and wanted me to get an additional two quotes for repair (I had college exams and didn't have the time). In the end I got it repaired with my money, passed the test and spent the next month trying to get the money I had paid out of Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

One accident - not a month after I passed my test. Guy on front braked hard to let two cyclists across the road, I stopped (just) - the guy behind me didn't..... Pushed us into the car on front.

Totalled the car (was driving my Mums at the time), front seat passanger had bad whiplash and a few cuts and bruses in the back. Eventually all sorted out with the insurance for the guy who hit me paying. The whiplash claim went to court in the end...

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Had a pretty decent accident about 4 years ago, was acting the prat by driving far too fast in a car park, realised I wasn't going to make a 90 degree left hander, and went into the back of a parked nissan primera at about 20mph. Primera needed a new bumper, bootlid and had to go on a jig. My dads 405 suffered a cracked headlight lense, and now has nearly 300k miles on it. So much for crappy french build quality then?

The second accident was not my fault, some idiot in a 206 in front of me decided to make a last minute right hand turn into the dispensary in leixlip village at 6:30am ( why ? ). There was oncoming traffic, and they would have easily made the turn without stopping. Instead they slammed on, so did I, stopped easily enough, but the guy in the renault espace behind me was a little bit asleep and bang!
    I had stopped a few feet short of the 206, so I wasn't pushed into it. Luckily for me, I've a tow hitch, so there wasn't a scratch on my car, but it holed the radiator in the espace. As there was no damage to my car, I decided I'd be on my way, the guy in the espace admitted liability and all the damage seemed to be to his car. Thinking about it, he probably had no insurance. He drove off in a hurry with steam pouring out of the front of the car. This was stupid on my part, I really should have gotten his details.. wasn't thinking about whiplash or anything, just wanted to get out of there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I've totalled a rover metro (too fast in ****ty soft rain).

Came off my Suzuki GN 125. Again ****ty rainy day, dark, on a chicane with a car coming.

Van side swiped me off my Yamaha.

Walking home from mass when I was a young lad, priest comes down the road in his car and clips me in the head with his wing mirror sending me flying into a fence. Great crack ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Rear ended 4 days after I got my first car by none other then Joe Rooney. I was forced to jam on because the guy in front decided a random spot on the Finglas road would be a great place to let his passenger out. I stopped with enough room that I didn't get shunted into his car. For a comedian, Rooney was a bit of a dry sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

After 13 years, I hit a fox last September (guy behind me tailgating so I couldn't brake) and did €2,600 worth of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Have had three of note.

Once was ran over by my mam, three months in hospital thank you very much!

Was crashed into in Ballyfermot at night, Dawoo Matiz went straight into my side pillar, not a bother on it - mine was a write off :( It wasn't my fault, I had two lads in my car as witnesses (the filter light was in my favour - therefore he ran a red), but my insurance company decided to award to them regardless of what we said. I have tried to appeal, but have had zero joy :mad: No injury though so I guess it could be worse.

Went into a lamp post head on at 35-40mph having misjudged a corner in the rain. Wrote off that car, it was funny as the recovery people wanted to charge me €170 to take the car away, I just told em they could have it. Nose broken in 2 places & broken ribs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

On a scuttery wet morning in heavy traffic on the Mallow road to Cork a toolbox passed me out in an ex-An Post Citreon Van. He then passed the car in front of me. Finally he lost control trying to pass the artic in front of him. The car in front of me saw it happening and just stepped sideways and got past him on the Hard Shoulder. I was left facing him, turned completely sideways in front of me. I went straight into his drivers door at about 40 mph.

My insurance paid out because I should have been able to stop. I should definately take some of the blame, but it does pee me off that he got off scott free.

He was very lucky Injury wise. He had a crappy old tin can van and I hit him full welt straight into the drivers door with a Peugeot 405. All he got was a bruised leg. I had a bruised foot but that was only from kicking the shoite out of the car when I got out.

There were 12 cars involved in the end. The car behind me stopped ok and as far as I remember the car behind him stopped ok. Then there was a pile up of 3 or 4 cars. Then there was another gap and so on. There were 12 cars in 4 different clusters.

It even made the evening Echo. I only had the Pug 2 days. Luckily enough I hadn't sold my old car yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I've been unluckly/careless and have had 3 accidents, two were minor scrapes and the last one was serious.

Acc No 1. - Driving a crappy car with bad tyres, skidded at a junction in wet weather and clipped a car. Very little damage. My fault. Had been driving 2 years.

Acc No 2. - Ran into the back of a lorry stopped on a corner of a country road in the dark. I still claim it was his fault but the gardai say we both were at fault even though I wasn't driving fast. No damage to the lorry, my car needed a new bumper, bonnet, light etc. Had been driving 8-9 years.

Acc No 3. - Head-on collision with a car whose driver decided it would be fun to drive on the wrong side of the road. My wife and two children and myself were hospitalised with my wife and I dismissed the following day due to lack of beds. The two children were more seriously hurt and spent a week in hospital. Most serious of the many injuries was/is a fractured spine to my daughter (aged 11). Car written-off of course. And the other driver's fault, of course. Had been driving 20 years at the time.

Advertisement