Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Letter.

Options
  • 20-01-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Afternoon fellow petrol heads,

Got a letter of work to move me up the list of the driving test, but i have already applied for it, got a comfirmation letter saying they have recived my application, so is it possible for me to send the letter in now, always thought you had to send the letter from work in with the, test application.

Thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

No you can sen it in later, I'm doing that myself on Monday.

What I'm not sure about is whether your manager has to write it or do you write it yourself and include vat no. etc, or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I sent mine in after I got my confimation letter. Make sure to put the reference number on it. Otherwise it will get lost in the ether.

Mine got lost because I forgot to put reference number on it. Rang up and they found it. Got test within 6 weeks. And I passed!!! :D (no congrats, that was Sept)

Regarding headed notepaper etc. best ask HR, they've probably done it before. Headed notepaper would be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

But I mean, can I write the letter and sign it myself? I have the headed notepaper, headed envelope, managers permission, so can I write it requesting a cancellation for myself?

Or do I have to ask the manager to write it on my behalf? Because that would be a royal pain, knowing how long things generally take in work :(

Elessar wrote:
    Or do I have to ask the manager to write it on my behalf? Because that would be a royal pain, knowing how long things generally take in work :(

Some unscrupulous person might suggest that you write the letter on your manager's behalf. Then you could either sign it for them or ask them to sign it.

That would however be completely illegal and immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ballooba wrote:
    That would however be completely illegal and immoral.
    Ye but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

if the manager has already given you permission then there would be nothing wrong with writing the letter and asking him/her to read it over and sign it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just asked the girl in the office, at the end of the day, the boss came over and handed me the letter, they even wrote out the envolpe and put a stamp on it for me:), just had to put the ref no on it, they just put my name and address, on the top, bit of insurance wha.

Six weeks?! better get a few pre- tests!

Thanks

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:

I'd give them a buzz in a fortnight or so 'to make sure they received the letter'. They should give you a date over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I did this before except I went one extra step - Found someone big in the GAA who knows someone in the Dept. of Transport who's also connected with GAA - Got the test in 2 fscking weeks.

Holy cr4p I was sh1tting it, spent the whole 2 weeks doing pre-tests and lessons. Never again... I'll wait next time! Passed though.. G'wan GAA w4nkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Volvoboy wrote:

Thanks

-VB-

Sent it on a Tuesday had the test Wednesday the next week. They expect you to handle the short notice as your employer "needs" to give you the time off to get a licence!!! 8 Days...now I never though the civil service were efficient, but my opinion has changed somewhat (not totally..that shower in revenue:mad: :mad: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Volvoboy wrote:
    Just asked the girl in the office, at the end of the day, the boss came over and handed me the letter, they even wrote out the envolpe and put a stamp on it for me:), just had to put the ref no on it, they just put my name and address, on the top, bit of insurance wha.

Thanks

-VB-

Was that Raheny? Also just out of curiousity what information does the letter have to contain, ie. employers PPS number, your PPS number, driving test reference #, employers signature etc? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it's a large well known company manager will have to sign on headed paper to say you urgently need a full licence as you have been offered a job with the company suybject to gaining a full licence/ your role now requires you to drive.

For smaller local companies, an owner/director should probably sign just to be on the safe side

your name, address, PPS and your booking reference are all that is needed, put in DOB just so they can ensure that it is actually you...had loads of trouble with them not being able to find my booking reference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup, mine worked a treat. Got my test 2 wks after the letter went in.

ninty9er wrote:
    If it's a large well known company manager will have to sign on headed paper to say you urgently need a full licence as you have been offered a job with the company suybject to gaining a full licence/ your role now requires you to drive.

For smaller local companies, an owner/director should probably sign just to be on the safe side

your name, address, PPS and your booking reference are all that is needed, put in DOB just so they can ensure that it is actually you...had loads of trouble with them not being able to find my booking reference

Thanks, would you not need your employers PPS number aswell though? Otherwise anyone could pretend they work for ESB/Eircom/etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Duffler

Hi lads, sent in the "work letter" about 2months ago and heard nothing back. Is this normal?Does anyone have the tel number for who i should follow this up with?

Thanks
    J.

Was that Raheny? Also just out of curiousity what information does the letter have to contain, ie. employers PPS number, your PPS number, driving test reference #, employers signature etc? Thx

*Bump* can anyone answer this? Could be a useful thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From the website:
    Q. Can I look for an early test for employment purposes?

A. An early test can be arranged in such cases; you must however provide written confirmation from your employer (prospective employer) that you are being offered employment, which requires a full driving licence. The confirmation should be on the employers headed paper and must include the employers RSI number. In such cases the candidate may get short notice of a test appointment.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Thanks Stark.

Advertisement