Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science/Math science ?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi, i'm thinking of doing either maths or computer science in ucc next year. I think I would be slightly more interested in computer science although I know one or two who did cs and said that it wasnt a great course and that it isnt considered to be a "good" degree.
    If anyone doing/did either of these degrees could tell me a bit more about the degrees and how they found them it would be much appreciated.
    ty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im in first year, its grand. Nothing spectacular, you'd want to be good at Maths or have a good understandment of it. UL's Computer Systems is what most companies look for straight away so Ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

You can do a joint degree, computer science with mathematics. You'll do some comp sci modules, and some maths modules.

I did computer science and have never heard anyone say that it wasn't a "good" degree. I don't know what they're talking about... the piece of paper is as good as any other, and most computer-related jobs will look for a BSc in Comp Science or similar.

Have a look back through the UCC forum and you will find other threads asking about Computer Science in UCC. Also have a look at the UCC website and you might be able to find a list of modules and maybe some of the course material to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Illkillya wrote:
    You can do a joint degree, computer science with mathematics. You'll do some comp sci modules, and some maths modules.

Can you still do the joint degree i thought they stopped that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

mrac wrote:
    Can you still do the joint degree i thought they stopped that ?
    You're probably right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You can only do a joint honours degree in Computer Science with Economics now, they took away the maths option a few years back.

I'd take the opposite opinion of IllKillya on Computer Science, I thought the course was farcical to be honest. There are too many lecturers who simply aren't bothered with the lecturing aspect. The majority would take pre-written lecture slides from text books and read them verbatim in lectures. There were a couple of fantastic lecturers in fairness though, but these were always an exception rather than the rule. If you're looking to learn about the hardware/networking/practical side, the UCC course doesn't even touch this. CIT do however offer their students the chance to get MCSE and CCNA accreditation. My final gripe about the course, there wasn't enough programming. The vast majority of the degree is exam-orientated, so much so that it makes almost redundant if you're trying to achieve good grades (for example, I did about 20 hours of programming for all of third year but still got a 1H).

I won't be all negative though, if you like the idea of learning abstract theories and concepts and having high-level knowledge of academic subjects, it'll probably suit you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement