Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my motorhome

Options
  • 19-01-2007 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Knaus Sun Traveller 608K
    Imported myself from Germany, second hand, saving a pile.

Twin dining areas.
    6 berth with bunks for the kids.

Motorhome.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A '89 Laika "Laserhome 61", 6.3 x 2.2 x 2.9 m, based on the Iveco 35-10, RWD with twin wheels (handy on these roads), used to be five berth, is now 3 berth with "lounge" instead of dinette.

Ancient and ugly ...but great !

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

3ps

i wouldnt mind hearing your a story on importing as i'm shopping for one, did you always want a knaus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Hi KoNiT!

I had never been camping in my life. My friend bought a motorhome and I thought it might be a good idea. 3 months later I had imported it.

The most important aspect of purchasing is the interior layout.

I spent HOURS and HOURS surfing the net looking at vans and layouts.

An excellent site for this is www.mobile.de, you can select english language and then search on motorhome.... 10's of thousands.

What I did was (as I knew NOTHING)... start searching at a price range. Look at all the photos for each van and make notes of what was out there. (I had never been in a van before). At the same time, make note of particular makes and models that seemed to fit.

After a while I had a long list of vans etc.

Then I joined www.motorhomefacts.com and spent HOURS and HOURS reading through the archives!!!

By reading other peoples issues I learned alot about what I wanted in a van.

So I basically created a shortlist... and the Knaus was top of the list. It has a good reputation, and the layout was good. I also liked the look of them.

So then I just searched on them on mobile.de until one I liked turned up... and one did in a Hymer dealer near Dortmund.

Now, my sister lives in Dusseldorf and she did drive over and had a quick look for me... but you could do this yourself for not much money.

I then paid in advance and flew over, met my sister and went to the dealer.

The dealer sorted out all the export documentation, plates and insurance for about €200. You need to send him passport info in advance for this. The insurance is not comprehensive but lasts EU wide for 2-3 weeks. Be careful driving home.

I had never driven a van before but we got on fine!!!

Of course, one factor for choosing a van for import into Ireland is the weight. I keep forgetting the intricacies but basically if the unladen weight is < 3000kg then you have to pay VRT.

The approach I took was that I would aim to be higher than 3000kg but to plan that I had to pay it. It is practically impossible to find the true unladen weight of vehicles over the web or from a dealer. Even the documented figures are usually wrong (to make it look like there is payload).

Of course you might find a nice dealer who will bring it to a weigh station for you.

Anything else you need to know just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

At present we have an 05 Kentucky Coral 6 7 beth. We decided at the holiday show to upgrade. Got a great deal from Donaghey Motorhomes. This is our new baby in the link. She will be ready for collection 2nd week of April!

www.irishmotorhomes.com/brochure/20.pdf
    :D:D

Veeery nice ...good luck with it !

I've heard very good things about this new 3 liter engine ...it's supposed to be fab.

What's the max weight on this one, 3850 or 4000 or more kg?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Its 4000kg. Hubbie has full HGV licence so theres no probs with licence etc. We have it covered!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

We've got a Ford Hearld, 4 berth, RHD, rear u-lounge, 1998, hob, grill & oven (huge bonus). Hoping to upgrade to a 6 berth this year with bunk beds for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Southern Belle...

I have bunks.

The layout is that there is a 2 seater facing 1 seater and small table at the back side of the van. The table drops and you move the cushions around to form a single bed. The are "fake" presses above this area and they drop down to form the bunk.

I really like this layout but only for smaller children. I have a 7 and 3 year old.

When my 7 year old is older He will definately sleep on the bottom.

if you have teenagers I would recommend getting 2 fixed bunks as they are usually slightly larger, one of the most common configs being across the back wall.

Thanks 3ps. The fixed bunks option is what we're thinking of alright. We say a few at last year's show, so we're really looking forward to browsing around next week. Another 'must have' for me is the hob / grill / oven combo. It really saves on using take aways when we're away.

The grill/oven is a rather new addition to continental makes (has been around a lot longer on UK makes).
    I have to say, I never missed it. Don't want to be slaving over the full Sunday roast when out camping :D and a fry is just as easily rustled up in a pan or two.

Doesn't the full "Aga" take up a lot of space and weight, as well as use quite a bit of gas when on full blast?

• Advertisement

Well, this is our first MH, so I've always had the "full cooker". I agree that a fry is easily rustled up, and when we're away for short periods, i.e. a w/end, I don't use the oven. I find it great when we're away for a few weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Followed this 6 wheeler Burstner down the N4 today

Pushy.jpg

Note to self: clean flies off windscreen! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

3ps wrote:
    Knaus Sun Traveller 608K
    Imported myself from Germany, second hand, saving a pile.

Twin dining areas.
    6 berth with bunks for the kids.

Hi 3p's

any internal pics you can share?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

When is a good time to look at importing? I heard 'end of season' was good - what is the end of the season? Is august too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi

Looging at buying a hymer 494 or 544 - was in england a few weeks ago hopping in and out of vans at Brownhills - thought would take advantage of sterling but didnt manage to agree a price... Now looking at going to germany - read mixed reports re 1.9 or 2.8 engine. We want a fuel efficient on (in so far as possible!) but want to make sure it'll be ablt to get up the ole irish hills also!! was looking at www.mobile.de - bit confused re german vat etc? Is this payable on top of price - thought just had to pay VRT on import? If anyone looking for parts for VW give me a shout!!

Thanks a mill and happy motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

shigg wrote: »
    Hi

Looging at buying a hymer 494 or 544 - was in england a few weeks ago hopping in and out of vans at Brownhills - thought would take advantage of sterling but didnt manage to agree a price... Now looking at going to germany - read mixed reports re 1.9 or 2.8 engine. We want a fuel efficient on (in so far as possible!) but want to make sure it'll be ablt to get up the ole irish hills also!! was looking at www.mobile.de - bit confused re german vat etc? Is this payable on top of price - thought just had to pay VRT on import? If anyone looking for parts for VW give me a shout!!

Thanks a mill and happy motoring

My previous MH was a Hymer494, 1.9TDi. The engine was grand for main roads and motorways, it would do 130Km/H all day long. Hill climbs were a bit of a challenge unless you got a good run at them. I'd say the bigger engine would be a better option especially for anything bigger than a 494.
    My current MH is a bigger vehicle with a 2.8lt engine and I see little difference between them in fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Also imported my one from Germany 2 years ago, really easy to do. 1999 Burstner 5 berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got a fiat adria twin 07 form the north during the summer

ours is the exact same with out the awning and we have a 2 bike rack

adria-1.jpg

Advertisement