Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer lagging when browsing boards

Options
  • 19-01-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using the latest Firefox. When I browse forums I tend to open about 5 or 6 tabs at the same time as I see threads I'm interested in.

When I do this, while they're loading, Media Player Classic or VideoLAN or my TV card on my other monitor will "lag" as though too much CPU is being used up by Firefox.

Surely there's a way around this beyond turning Javascript off?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You could try starting Firefox with a lower priority. Close all instances of Firefox, open a command prompt and check if the following starts up smoothly (adjust drive and path as appropriate)(seems START doesn't like long filenames enclosed in quotes):
    START /low c:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe

If that helps, go to the properties of your Firefox shortcut and change Target to:
    c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c START /low c:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Firefox can be pretty heavy on memory, especially if you've been browsing for a while, or have a fair few tabs open.

Try this firefox optimization

Also - for general firefox optimisation, have a look at firetune

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

My computer slows down to a crawl when windows is downloading updates in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Whats are your pc specs ciaran ?

Also - what's your memory usage normally ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Specs.. jasus.. been so long since I called them out!

AMD64 3500+
    2GB RAM
    SATA Hard Drives
    XP SP2

Will have a look at the other suggestions offered too.

Any more ideas?

Jebus - it's still bad then?

Can you post your typical memory usage on your system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I notice the same. It's not as bad with FF on a Mac, but on a similar spec PC it's bad. It looks like inefficient Javascript used for the drop down menu. On an older laptop I just Adbock the offending JS, and all is fine when opening multiple tabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

oh that would be because boards.ie is monitoring your communications in its effort to dominate the entire planet! except venezuala boards.ie is willing to except venezuala as an independant state

• Advertisement

kurisu wrote:
    oh that would be because boards.ie is monitoring your communications in its effort to dominate the entire planet! except venezuala boards.ie is willing to except venezuala as an independant state
    That's fine, if they could do it without lagging my forum experience :)

Advertisement