Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpss?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Howdy, I'm REALLY interested in this course, and putting it as number one, hopefully I'll get the points, but anyhoo can anyone tell me if they've done it and what they think of it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Im doing it at the moment.

Sounds great and interesting and all that, but you have to ask yourself- what do you want to do as a career. HPSS won't get you through many doors, you need a masters after it really, like most humanities courses. Why do you want to do HPSS?

Great subject choices and for 1st and 2nd year you're mixed in with a load of other courses. Unless you have a class party (which we have not), the only time you'll meet the rest of your classmates is orientation week and graduation. Plenty of mature students too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

^^ what he said. Please see my PM for more info :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I want to go into either tourism or social work, but that's a rough idea, was hoping to do this course because it covers subjects I'd expect to find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Isn't there a social work degree course in trinners? How do you think HPSS would help for a career in tourism/social work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

There's social science in UCC aswell..

• Advertisement

There is one in Trinity, I don't exactly like Trinity, don't expect a 480 and want to get away from Dublin. The course description says that you could have a career in International Tourism and Public Services, I thought I could go on and get an MA in sociology which is also a route to take to Social work after doing the HPSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Rozabeez wrote:
    There is one in Trinity, I don't exactly like Trinity, don't expect a 480 and want to get away from Dublin. The course description says that you could have a career in International Tourism and Public Services, I thought I could go on and get an MA in sociology which is also a route to take to Social work after doing the HPSS.

Ya, I think that's a pretty decent idea alright. UL has an MA in socio too. HPSS is a mixed bag. There are interesting modules and excellent co-op opportunities but like the people who are doing it said, you'll need a post-grad for a lot of jobs. That said, the same can be said about any psychology degree... Doesn't make it any less worthwhile.;)

Don't you mean "daycent" idea? I changed that course to 4th on my CAO, just in case I couldn't take that route or something, now I've got TCD, then LIT.

Advertisement