Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no nct - fail driving test?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Just realised that the nct disc has a day on it and dosen't expire at the end of the month like tax. It expires today the 19th and I'm doing my driving test on Monday 22nd? I applied for an nct 2 weeks ago when the letter arrived but couldn't get a date for my test centre until middle of Feb. Anyway if i turn up on Monday with this vehicle will I fail automatically?

Comments

zap wrote:
    Just realised that the nct disc has a day on it and dosen't expire at the end of the month like tax. It expires today the 19th and I'm doing my driving test on Monday 22nd? I applied for an nct 2 weeks ago when the letter arrived but couldn't get a date for my test centre until middle of Feb. Anyway if i turn up on Monday with this vehicle will I fail automatically?

At a guess I would say yes. I would say if they spot it he/she will either refuse to do the test or fail you.

No harm chancing it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

yep! theyl refuse to take you out....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

my tax was out but i took my dads car as i was insured on it...my own insurance covered me......do you have any other car you can do the test in....
    all i was asked was am i insured to drive this car and i said yes...

better to chance it than a fail out right...as they will check the nct and it will be automatic fail without it..sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

yep I am fleet insurance so they're is several other vehicles that i can drive most are however, commerical jeaps so that should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

zap - you don't actually fail if you do not have a valid NCT disc. They just don't proceed with the test. (Much the same to you I suppose!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

aye first thing my tester done the other day was check the NCT cert on my car , if you read the back of your appointment letter it specifically says that an applicant with a car with out of date tax , NCT or no insurance will not be permitted to sit the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

The same thing happened to me, my insurance disc was slightly ripped and my instructor told me that they wouldn't take me out in it. This was the day before the test so no time to get a new disc.

Most driving schools will let you hire their cars for a test if you ask them nicely. Might be a good idea to do a pre test with the same driving school a couple of hours before your test and then you'll be used to their car and then use it for the actual test.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Could you borrow someone elses and slip it in? The might check for the existence of the cert and the date - and not pay particular attention to the reg... risky but might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You could be lucky and they mightn't spot the date, just look at the month. Bring a letter confirming your NCT appointment time - at least it will show that it's not as if you're letting it slide. Say nothing unless they say it to you.

Don't risk taking paperwork from another car.

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'd use another car TBH. It's a bit of a waste to be sent home.

It's time off work wasted and a long wait to get another date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Could you borrow someone elses and slip it in? The might check for the existence of the cert and the date - and not pay particular attention to the reg... risky but might be worth a shot.

wont work , as the tester actually takes down the details for your test form (or at least mine did last week) so he / she would be paying attention to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

think im gonna use the car from driivng school it's an SGS (same company as does the NCT) test and the test centre is the NCT centre so i'd say she would spot it. Test is tomorrow anyway,

Advertisement