Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Biggest Loser

Options
  • 19-01-2007 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of reality tv, but last March I got to watch The Biggest Loser when I was in Sydney for a few weeks. Found it pretty good. The show got a repeat in New Zealand over the past few weeks. Managed to catch up on the last few episodes.

Has anyone else seen this. Twelve contestants try to get rid of the most weight over a few weeks. Winner gets $200k. I guess what was drawing me to the show was the contestants are not trying to get fame and fortune out of the show. They all want to lose weight regardless of the outcome, the money was an added bonus to most. All they wanted was someone to give them the encouragement and kick in arse they needed.

Most lost at least 20kg, others went above 40kg.

I think the show started in America, not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

haven't heard of it sounds allot better than things like big brother and the other stuff out there tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

ya sounds like a great idea to me too - normally hate reality tv but I think this could hold my attention. Haven't heard about it before though.

Looks like Rabies was right re its origins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The presenter on the Australian show was terrible. She really spells out every... single... thing.

Like other reality shows, a contestant gets voted out out each week and there is the usual immunity challanges. One of the challanges revolved around food :D Giving in to temptation rewarded the winner with immunity, for the next week. But then they had increased their caloire intake.

Different show to the norm. Sky or Channel 4 will probably do a version of it some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Biggest Loser is on NBC in the US, I've seen it a couple of times. I think the 'wan that from Sabrina presents it, Caroline_Rhea. She is horribly annoying presenter. Its over for this season.

edit: d'oh too late.

Ruu, the Us version is kicking off again this week over here. Probably has started already in your neck of the woods.

It is a little different from the Oz version. There is 50 competitors at the start, each representing an American state.

Don't know anything else about the show format, presume it will be similar to the Oz show.

• Advertisement

Well, they cut the 50 to 12 at the very start. Not really fair on the rest of the people. So many were left disappointed.
    Next week they are going to allow two of the those cut join the house. the two with the greatest percentage of weight lost will get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RadioActive

I don't mind the Biggest Loser. It's one reality show that people could actually get inspired by and it could may be help them lose a little weight. The other stuff out there has gone way overboard.

Advertisement