Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice please

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

My brother was "done" this week for not having up to date tax, and being over the limit from the night before. Should he have some form of legal rep for his court appearance?
    Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, never had any experience with the law before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

Absolutely mate, you need legal representation for the day in court or else you ll find the whole experience intimidating and confusing. you can look for a solicitor on the day outside the court and say that you neeed legal aid, thats where the state pay for your legal represenation, if you cant afford it. it wont put you out of pocket and the guards cant act the prick if you are legally represented.
    solicitors/barristers can put your side of the story across more articulately and the judge will probably listen more. make sure the summons was issued less than 6 month after the alledged offence. it can be thrown out if it was issued out of date.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

electro.ie wrote:
    Absolutely mate, you need legal representation for the day in court or else you ll find the whole experience intimidating and confusing. you can look for a solicitor on the day outside the court and say that you neeed legal aid, thats where the state pay for your legal represenation, if you cant afford it. it wont put you out of pocket and the guards cant act the prick if you are legally represented.
    solicitors/barristers can put your side of the story across more articulately and the judge will probably listen more. make sure the summons was issued less than 6 month after the alledged offence. it can be thrown out if it was issued out of date.
    good luck

I did'nt realise they can if someone isn't legally represented! Last time I checked its up to the judge to make sure someone can get a fair trial. ANd the use of nice words works better? What about the fact that a barrister/solicitor might just know the law better. I gotta get back to that 'act the prick' comment. How do they act the prick in court?

Advertisement