Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bitch\Moan\Rant about CoOp Thread

Options
  • 18-01-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Ok I havent even started CoOp yet and I already dont like it. I got my contract yesterday and it says Im starting at 8 in the morning, which means I have to be up just after 6 every morning to get the Bus. Im more than likely going to be staring at something that looks like an excell sheet for the next 9 months and to top it all off it says in my contract that they can get me to do overtime at any time without notice and that wouldnt be too bad if it wasnt for the fact that it goes on to say that I wont get paid for this overtime.

So feel free to rant about your CoOp for the next 8 months here. And if anyone fancies telling there CoOp horror stories from other years to make us feel better, feel free!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭chubba1984

I must say my contract for Co-op was very similar to yours Cooperguy. However, it turned out to be the most enjoyable 8 months of my college life. Over 100 UL students in Dublin, nyts out were some craic and nobody was particularly stuck for money. It's amazing how little you take notice of the early starts when it becomes routine, and you can do feck all during the day at work if you pretend to be busy. I only did overtime 3 times in eight months as well. Got offered the full-time position afterwards as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

No paid overtime.
    What was a bit less than minimum wage per hour.
    Crappy timesheets to fill in [stupid metrics]

Didn't like it really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Had a 2 week period full of over time that I didn't get paid for (You rarely will when your getting a salary)

Other then that it was grand. Work was generally alright, People were fantastic, and a few good nights out to boot on company pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Welcome to the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

testicle wrote:
    Welcome to the real world
    Well luckily im back in my college bubble in 8 months :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Two words: Civil Service.

Boo yeah. €450 net a week. 09:45-10am start (whenever was ok); 30minute break at 11 in the subsidised Leinster House canteen; 1-2:15/2:30 lunch; end of day at 5-5:30. Fill the gaps in between with hours on d'Interweb with occassional frollicks to the photocopying room and meetings. Throw in a junket to Brussels (oh yes, overtime, subsistence, and accommodation in the Radisson). My God, co-op was the life to live.

Now where are those people who slag off HPSS??? :D:D:D

Boo yeah. €450 net a week. 09:45-10am start (whenever was ok); 30minute break at 11 in the subsidised Leinster House canteen; 1-2:15/2:30 lunch; end of day at 5-5:30. Fill the gaps in between with hours on d'Interweb with occassional frollicks to the photocopying room and meetings. Through in a junket to Brussels (oh yes, overtime, subsistence, and accommodation in the Radisson). My God, co-op was the life to live.

If I paid taxes I would be suitably outraged.

About this

<
    >

Outraged.

I know who to blame when my passport is late :D
    Through in a junket to Brussels

It's throw in a junket to Brussels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Boo yeah. €450 net a week. 09:45-10am start (whenever was ok); 30minute break at 11 in the subsidised Leinster House canteen; 1-2:15/2:30 lunch; end of day at 5-5:30. Fill the gaps in between with hours on d'Interweb with occassional frollicks to the photocopying room and meetings. Through in a junket to Brussels (oh yes, overtime, subsistence, and accommodation in the Radisson). My God, co-op was the life to live.

Damn right! Don't forget the flexi- days as well!;)

Lived at home during my civil service jobby (yay- not!) and saved squillions.

Peteee wrote:

You do.

idiot. :rolleyes:

And ftr, your not one to comment about other folks spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Do you all get paid basic minimum salary for Co-op, €25,000 or whatever it is (if it was a years work)?

• Advertisement

Funkstard wrote:
    Do you all get paid basic minimum salary for Co-op, €25,000 or whatever it is (if it was a years work)?

My contract said €15,000 a year, so 10,000 for 8 months (About minimum wage)
    You do.

idiot.

And ftr, your not one to comment about other folks spelling.

I was referring to income tax :rolleyes:

And it wasn't her spelling I was correcting it was her grammar. Through is a perfectly legitimate word, but not in this circumstance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not getting paid ANYTHING for Co-Op. I even asked for €50 a week just to cover my loan repayments but no, apparently they can't afford it in their budget. Working 9 -5, 5 days a week which means I'm having major trouble finding a part-time job because I've been repeatedly told I'll have to work at least one evening a week, starting at 5 which I physically can't do. Couldn't even start at 6 cause I'd have no time for food. Really annoyed about it all.

ergonomics wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not getting paid ANYTHING for Co-Op. I even asked for €50 a week just to cover my loan repayments but no, apparently they can't afford it in their budget. Working 9 -5, 5 days a week which means I'm having major trouble finding a part-time job because I've been repeatedly told I'll have to work at least one evening a week, starting at 5 which I physically can't do. Couldn't even start at 6 cause I'd have no time for food. Really annoyed about it all.

Where are you working?

I thought they had abolished slavery...

Peteee wrote:
    I was referring to income tax :rolleyes:

And it wasn't her spelling I was correcting it was her grammar. Through is a perfectly legitimate word, but not in this circumstance :p

You need to be more specific so :rolleyes:

It was her spelling of the word throw...

Think my contract was 15k a year also, maybe less. cba checking tbh.

See, the thing about co-op is that employers are not required to pay you. Tis more a good will thing.
    If the company aren't paying you, tell the co_op office you're in need of financial aid or summet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Peteee wrote:
    Where are you working?

I thought they had abolished slavery...

I'd rather not say exactly but apparently it's the norm for placements in the media sector. I could have got the Co-Op office to organise a paid placement but I'd rather work somewhere that would actually get me experience in the job I want after college. I also took the job with the understanding that some payment would be organised for me but I was told last month that I was getting absolutely nothing.

Peteee wrote:

About this

<
    >

Outraged.

I know who to blame when my passport is late :D

It's throw in a junket to Brussels :P

Whoopsy! You see, to continue on, after co-op they (being the big-wigs in UL) send us HPSSers on Erasmus to pass away another semester. So, being surrounded by Polaks who speak Polski all the time, it's no wonder my English has suffered abominably! *hangs head in shame*

PS I had nothing to do with your passport. So there. :P
    klong wrote:
    Don't forget the flexi- days as well!

I didn't work flexi days...I worked in the Houses of the Oireachtas, it's the only Civil Service job that you don't clock in/out for or work up flexis. It has its advantages and disadvantages. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

you all lose, i start coop on Monday in the US, Georgia to be exact, working 7am-4pm. That measn I have to get up at 5am to go to work.

Its gonig to be GREAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Here's one of them right here!!!

Enjoy it while you can; you won't find a job after college :p

Any friends of mine who did HPSS are either waitressing or doing postgrads, having been unable to find work. This is despite having a similar co-op to you (cushy number, travelling, good experience, etc).

Should've done manufacturing or engineering buddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

rorymagory wrote:
    Here's one of them right here!!!

Enjoy it while you can; you won't find a job after college :p

Any friends of mine who did HPSS are either waitressing or doing postgrads, having been unable to find work. This is despite having a similar co-op to you (cushy number, travelling, good experience, etc).

Should've done manufacturing or engineering buddy :D

Take a look at the HPSS thread from last week or thereabouts. I am a HPSS student. I know my degree is as useful as a chocolate fireguard; I'd imagine bluedolphin would say the same. It's all well and good saying HPSS people "should" have done manufacturing or engineering, but for my own part, I have no interest on engineering or manufacturing. Different people have different aptitudes. Besides, you smelly engineers need someone to serve you your Big Macs. Would you like fries with that?;) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

klong wrote:
    Would you like fries with that?;) :D

Yes please and super size it too :D

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

klong wrote:
    Besides, you smelly engineers need someone to serve you your Big Macs. Would you like fries with that?;) :D

Whoa whoa whoa there, lets not bring my interesting odour into this. Or Big Macs.

klong wrote:
    Take a look at the HPSS thread from last week or thereabouts. I am a HPSS student. I know my degree is as useful as a chocolate fireguard; I'd imagine bluedolphin would say the same. It's all well and good saying HPSS people "should" have done manufacturing or engineering, but for my own part, I have no interest on engineering or manufacturing. Different people have different aptitudes. Besides, you smelly engineers need someone to serve you your Big Macs. Would you like fries with that?;) :D

Hear, hear!

I know my degree won't land me with many employment opportunities upon graduation, but at least I'll have had great fun for my four years of it. Oh yes, while you Engis slave away with your billions and zillions of hours we have 12, or 10 or less depending on personal choices. And if you're clever (as most HPSSers are) you will arrange such hours so that you will have at least one day off a week. Ahh ok, go on, say we're dossers so. Fine. So be it. But, it's the one time in life where it's acceptable to be a dosser. We're at college, we're getting a degree.

And I'm planning on doing a postgrad anyway. Always was. So there. :p

One more thing, with a university degree, it'll be easy to climb to managerial level fairly fast in any fastfood chain. We have interpersonal skills. So, if there's a sudden decline in demand/over supply of Engis, it'll be HPSS graduates who will be your bosses. Respect.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

So, if there's a sudden decline in demand/over supply of Engis, it'll be HPSS graduates who will be your bosses. Respect.:cool:

???

Believe it or not but most engineering managers were at one time engineers themselves.
    You do realise that Engineers can be some of the most arrogant b@stards(when I was in Coop the Engineers were almost bullying the Computer Scientists).

4th Yr Elec Eng for those wondering.

juliuspret wrote:
    (when I was in Coop the Engineers were almost bullying the Computer Scientists).

Damn Engi's 5b00ae3ba886bd0a4d62.gif

Peteee wrote:
    Damn Engi's 5b00ae3ba886bd0a4d62.gif

You should be banned for insinuating that engi are **** :v:

juliuspret wrote:
    ???

What I meant was that if there is an oversupply of engis then they will be forced to become McD workers also, under the wrath of HPSS bosses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

What I meant was that if there is an oversupply of engis then they will be forced to become McD workers also, under the wrath of HPSS bosses :D

An oversupply??

Are you serious?

Im one of 20 or so Electronic Engineering 4th years.....4 years ago I have been told there were 4 times that!!!

They have become so desperate that the 1st years have been gifted Dell Laptops just for starting the course!

juliuspret wrote:
    An oversupply??

Are you serious?

Im one of 20 or so Electronic Engineering 4th years.....4 years ago I have been told there were 4 times that!!!

They have become so desperate that the 1st years have been gifted Dell Laptops just for starting the course!

I said if... It's all hypothetically speaking... As is my potential permanent unemployment...

Advertisement