Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much for a 40k timing belt & service

Options
  • 18-01-2007 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

How much for a 40k timing belt & service on a 01 opel astra.....was quuted €580 from the local main dealer..that seem right???....think i might go independant!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

they replacing the water pump/tensioners etc also? and does that price include the parts?
    you could source the timing kit from ebay for half the price usually quoted at dealerships
    i recently got my calibra timing kit for about 120 delivered and then fitted for 300 at an independant mechanic (dat 300 also included getting a new front bearing being fitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I don't think you need to get the belt replaced until 60K, check the Manual. Also, you are recommended to get the Water Pump done at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Google gf50 and opel (or vauxhall). It's the idler pulley, made from plastic, and is reckoned to be flawed as it can shatter early and shred the timing belt.

This is why they recommend a new belt at 40k as it's really the pulley they want to change. They replace it with a (metal) gf25 (and bill you for it), as well as the belt, water pump etc.

The gf50 was featured on BBC's Watchdog a good few years ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

slickmcvic wrote:
    How much for a 40k timing belt & service on a 01 opel astra.....was quuted €580 from the local main dealer..that seem right???....think i might go independant!!

Sounds about right from a dealer. I paid something similar when I got my '01 Astra done.

As said above, make sure that includes the water pump as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

yeah they said it includes parts....i'd say i'll go for it (gulp).......bit of a shock though comin from a 1.2 corsa to a 1.8 coupe!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

slickmcvic wrote:
    yeah they said it includes parts....i'd say i'll go for it (gulp).......bit of a shock though comin from a 1.2 corsa to a 1.8 coupe!!

Ah, another coupe owner? I've had mine from new - selling it at the moment.

It's the one job I'd get done at the dealer to be honest. It's dear but it's only every 40k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

why does the water pump have to be changed at the same time? Just wondering?

jimogr wrote:
    why does the water pump have to be changed at the same time? Just wondering?

Doesn't have to be, it's just that it's easily done at the same time, and it's a part that usually needs replacing every 40k to 50k miles or so also (like the timing belt).

Water pumps seem to be an Astra weakness also.

Getting them done separately would double the labour cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JHMEG wrote:
    Google gf50 and opel (or vauxhall). It's the idler pulley, made from plastic, and is reckoned to be flawed as it can shatter early and shred the timing belt.

This is why they recommend a new belt at 40k as it's really the pulley they want to change. They replace it with a (metal) gf25 (and bill you for it), as well as the belt, water pump etc.

The gf50 was featured on BBC's Watchdog a good few years ago.
    at least they replaced the pulley with a metal one. Us Alfa drivers are still getting plastic ones put in and have to get them replaced every 40k miles

Advertisement