Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying from dealers near the Naas Road

Options
  • 18-01-2007 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey all, does anyone know if it is safe enough to buy from dealers along the Naas Road, Long Mile, Robinhood Estate areas? I have recently moved up from Cork and am looking to buy something cheap, but not something that will break down as soon as i get it home. I saw a tv show about some dealers around there and heard they change company names and stuff. how true is this? im afraid i may not know enough to what these guys may be hiding. Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Depends on where you are going...
    What type of car are you looking for and whats your budget??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SnoopyDogDog

can i mention the names of the dealer i am enquring about? the car is only worth 2500 anyway and looks ok but you can never tell really

sorry, i meant I cant reall tell!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What car is it etc?? If you want to PM me with details then do!!

sent PM to you jonny, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I was about to buy a car from a dealer off the NAAS road last year. He looked very reputable. Stocks very high quality cars...have even seem him flog Ferraris.

Long story short...car I was about to purchase was clocked. He denied knowing and no way to tell if he knew or not.

Moral of the story is all dealers are devious swines. You need to be careful of them all...whether they're main dealers or just small time crooks :)

thnx carlover.

any obvious ways of finding out if they are clocked? the show i saw was about most of them dealers were at it. i could get AA to have a look but a bit too costly for the price im willing to spend. cars for the missus and told her to get a bike, feck sake

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A reputable car dealer will allow you to view the ownership cert/log book and contact the previous owner.
    Also get the reg and ring the manufacturers head office and ask about service history.
    Check the mileage against the service handbook and NCT certs.
    Lastly bring a mechanic or car expert with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

yea, ive seen some clocked cars there and other dealerships too.
    the latest one was a 2003 volvo diesel, showing only 42k on the clock, but it was well tired. and in the engine bay it was really dirty and shabby: the clincher was a sticker on the air cleaner claiming it had been changed at 118k miles.
    when i pointed it out to the guy, he legged it into the office and would not come out.
    i went to the guards, but basically they werent interested unless i had actually bought the car, when it becomes an offence.
    a couple of weeks later the *same* car was up for sale at another dealer's in another part of town.

*always* ask to see history for the car, either service history or even NCT or MOT history. if it hasn't got history, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just got my last car from a dealer just off the Naas road (100m up the Long Mile Road) in a place called Automotion.
    I can't praise the place enough. Friendly, helpful and go out of their way to make sure any small probs yea find with the car are sorted out in a quick manner all fully under warranty.
    I will be going back to them for my next car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

there are a few dodgy ones on the naas road but the good ones are branded by the bad ones sometimes the dealers do get caught themselves with clocked cars that they dont know about so not all of them are doing it

i know alot of dealers who bought cars off the carbase place got stung with clocked cars and cars still on finance so even the bigger places who seem to be better might not be

carlover the place you are on about wasnt orange at somestage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I wouldn't buy a car out their TBH. It's a mine field.

Far too much chance of buying a lemon unless you are well clued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dealers often rotate their stock with other dealers looks good to the people different cars in stock every few weeks. oh yeah that car went out yesterday, no lie, it did to another dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

there is a dealership on the Naas Road that I certainly wouldn't recommend.

some of the worst cowboys I've witnessed.

not sure if I can name them here but I think I'd better not.

:mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

el diablo wrote:
    there is a dealership on the Naas Road that I certainly wouldn't recommend.

some of the worst cowboys I've witnessed.

not sure if I can name them here but I think I'd better not.

:mad:

Its more fun when you name them so everyone knows who yu are talking about so we wont go to them.

a give us a clue so no one gets stung or even will u pm me cos my mate is looking at a car on the naas road so if u help us out would be greatful

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do it via PM/email/telephone/snail mail unless you are prepared to cover boards legal costs for any libel cases!

kbannon wrote:
    Do it via PM/email/telephone/snail mail unless you are prepared to cover boards legal costs for any libel cases!
    just as michealjohn said just give us some hints, donot put the name up on boards as it might cause problems.

ok, I PM'ed those of you who are interested...:p

thanks for that i dont think thats the first time their name has popped up on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Guys i have bought 2 cars from dublin motors www.dublinmotors.ie
    and found them to be pretty good, the problem with my last car they sorted quick at their own expense, a shower around the around the corner are idiots , i bought a car for my mam and dealt directly with the owner the car had been there for a while and he clean it up etc, so a few days later i went out it was still in the same condition.

My last car i bought from star motors, the service i got was second to none i dealt with the owner and he was honest from the start gave me a good price a good warranty and even filled it up with petrol, id throughly recommend him

thanks for the tips where is the dublin motors place could you pm the name of the place you had the trouble with so i can stay away thanks

Guys i have bought 2 cars from dublin motors www.dublinmotors.ie
    and found them to be pretty good, the problem with my last car they sorted quick at their own expense, a shower around the around the corner are idiots , i bought a car for my mam and dealt directly with the owner the car had been there for a while and he clean it up etc, so a few days later i went out it was still in the same condition.

My last car i bought from star motors, the service i got was second to none i dealt with the owner and he was honest from the start gave me a good price a good warranty and even filled it up with petrol, id throughly recommend him
    Dublinmotors cant even upload good quality pictures.that just shows how good they are:D

thanks for that i dont think thats the first time their name has popped up on boards
    ok, no worries. I don't want anyone else to be stung by them. :rolleyes:

if anyone else wants to know who I'm talking about I will PM it to you...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

drdre wrote:
    Dublinmotors cant even upload good quality pictures.that just shows how good they are:D

If they're still using the same computer that i seen 2 years ago thats the reason....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

el diablo wrote:
    ok, no worries. I don't want anyone else to be stung by them. :rolleyes:

if anyone else wants to know who I'm talking about I will PM it to you...;)

I'm going out on Saturday to look at a couple of places. Would appreciate any PMs of where to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

MOH wrote:
    I'm going out on Saturday to look at a couple of places. Would appreciate any PMs of where to avoid.

Honest answer...and best one you'll get is treat every car dealer the same...like they just killed your mother or something. Worst thing you can do is go into a dealer with a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I've heard all sorts of stories from people in the trade...and about main dealers too by the way. Don't be fooled by a glitzy showroom. They are ALL rotten. It's the business...inherent in the culture.

Do your homework...have a mechanic look at any motor you want to buy. If it seems in any way dodgy walk. Ask all the questions. People think you shouldn't ask stuff like was this car ever crashed. You have to. The onus is not on the dealer to tell you this. If they lie however they're in trouble.

If it's imported treat the car as if it must be dodgy and get a HPI check done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement