Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disc Skimming

Options
  • 18-01-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Need to get a set of pads for the car and they told me I need to get the discs skimmed also. There's 80k (miles) on the clock so sounds a bit low but I suppose it depends.
    What's involved with skimming - just like sanding a layer off the discs I assume?
    Any ideas on approx prices for this kind of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I didnt think that went on in this day and age, dont bother skimming them just replace them, it cant be that expensive and your life depends on them literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Skimming is fine, provided it's done right and the discs don't get too thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A new pair of discs should only cost around 100 euro, unless you want super delux drilled and slotted discs which look better and cost a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevinp

tip !

Only use genuine manufacturers brake pads. spurious ones from a motor factor can be too hard and wear or warp your discs... I learned the hard way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are many highly reputable spurious producers. EBCm Brembo, Textar, ATE, etc. available from a decent motor factors.
    Most of these even supply manufacturers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement