Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Octavia - Indicator Noise Keeps Happening

Options
  • 18-01-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Had the timing belt et al done on a 01 Octavia yesterday, Only purchased it on Monday. Before getting the belt done there was no problem, since getting it done the indicator noise just randomly starts.

After I indicate, turn and straighten up it will stop as it should, it then will just start ticking on the straight.

Any idea as to why this is happening? Electrical fault? getting it fixed won't be a problem I'm just curious as to what could have caused or is causing the problem

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's a coincidence that the indicator started mal-functioning after the timing belt was done.

It sounds like the contacts in the indicator stick are arcing. Have you a warranty with the car? If not, you could call a Skoda garage and price a new one or check out a few breakers. Traynors in S.Armagh are good and deliver to Dublin regularly, depends where you are in the country.

This happened me with a car I had, I took the switch apart and got it fixed, this is a knightmare of a job as there are several springs and contacts that will 'pop' out as soon as you open it.
    My €0.02, try a scrap yard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Thanks for the reply Sparks, as I said won't have a problem getting it fixed but was just wondering what might have caused the problem. It's just going to be annoying over the next couple of days!

I hope nothing else malfunctions, I really like it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I hope nothing else malfunctions, I really like it!
    Don't worry about it, it's just one of those things that can happen. it's easily replaced. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Are you my doppleganer ?
    I too have a 01 Octavia, timing belt changed today and have the same problem with my indicator, although I've had it a couple of months now.
    When the clicking goes off on it's own does your indicators remain off as they should do and otherwise work normally ?
    If so what it is is a microswitch in the indicator stalk itself which I think it a common enough occurance but the steering wheel needs to be removed to replace it (so I've been told)so I don't think it's a DIY job but the part itself is very cheap. I got them to replace mine today so I'll be able to tell you the exact cost tomorrow when herself gets home with the invoice.

There is another similar issue that occurs with the Hazard Repay switch but this seems to make the lights themselves flash intermitantly or stay on when indicating and that's a DIY jon to fix but this doesn't sound like your problem.

Advertisement