Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP Canna get me drums OFF

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

1996 306 1.9D Saloon

Ok i got one drum off but the LHS one is breaking my heart . I have pushed back the H/B Lever and this loosed up the shoes. I even loosed the screws off the cylinder so there is loads of free play on the shoes. I think my problem is the bearing is too tight on the center. i have pulled and pushed and hammered but no joy. i have read every post to do with hubs but i need more help. at the moment the car is undriveable.
    How do i get me drums off???

HELP PLEASE.

thanks
    JOE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Seriously have you tried a sledge hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Hi
    I had the same problem when i had a 306.
    The best way i could do it was try prise it off top then bottom then each side all the way round with a screw drive untill i could tap the rest of it of with a hammer.
    Just brut force.
    I'd tighten the cylinder back up first or you might damage the brake pipe.
    Hope this is some help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Ok how does this idea sound cause iv tried all the solutions above!

remove the hub nut but leave the wheel on. with the car supported on a big block of wood, from under the car kick the wheel around the edges.
    Yea or nae??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You are trying to remove the brake drum and not the hub!

If you remove the hub nut the wheel bearing will be very week, and with very little force will brake up, and the wheel/brake drum and hub will fall off the car!!!

It sounds like the brake drum is too tight on the hub! the hub is what the wheel bolts into.

If the hub and drum are free to spin, and the drum is not binding against the brake shoes, i would advise using a large bearing pullers or the like. There should be a lip on the brake drum for the fingers to catch on to..

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

I faced a similar situation before (drum binding against brake shoes) and borrowed a slide hammer from a local garage. It did the trick and the drum survived unscathed. Halfords stock 'universal' (didn't fit in my case) hub pullers which might do the trick for you. (A Halford's assistant suggested bleeding the brake in question to release some pressure, but it didn't make any difference.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Does the drum actually rotate at the moment ?

I would guess you have a lip on the drum and the shoes are still in the way. Even backing off the adjustment may not work, though loosening the handbrake will not have enough effect either way !

You should be able to back off the adjustment wheel, it will be a pain if you are not familiar with it. Usually there is a hole on the front face of the drum to do this, or else use one of the wheel bolt holes. It helps to have a torch to see what you are doing, and some brake cleaner !

Also some cars have jacking holes on the drum anmd you use the wheel studs in the other holes to pull the drum off ! Other than that you could try the method you described, leaving the wheel on, I've done it several times, but usually ended up fitted new bearings !

IMO the best way is to try to back off the adjustment, then prise the drum over the lip, BUT square it up and whilst pulling tap it firmly on the outer edge (the outer part of the area where the shoe contacts it).

Advertisement