Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 quick questions on new car - advice appreciated

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Hello

I bought a brand new sportline golf 2 weeks ago (with pearl-effect black paint and 17" zandvoort alloys). My 2 problems are:

- when I leave the car overnight or haven't drived in a few hours the inside of the alloys (not the 5 outside spokes but the round disc just inside) is covered in what looks like rust or orange/brown muck - but then once i drive away it disappears completely. Does anyone know what is causing this and should I bring it back to the garage?

- i have a white 1 foot long scratch on the side of the car that just appeared over last few days - have no idea how it happened. It's white, visable and when i run my finger over it I can feel a very tiny groove into the paint. Can I get a home paint job kit to paint over this, any advice? You can't see it from far away just up close but it's annoying

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

#1 its your brake discs - they corrode on the surface when exposed to the elements - a bit of driving cleans them up.
    #2 - halfords do touch up kits as do many motor factors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1. Brake dust (normally when it rains heavily and then dry you get that, dont touch it as brake dust contains that stuff they put into attics that can cause cancer).

2. Sounds like you got handbagged. Women are a pain in the arse with their handbags, some lift them over the car others dont and dont realise that they are scratching your car when they try a squeeze there arse in between cars in the car parks.

Home kit would do but get the scratch taken out properly though.

Enjoy your new car.

IIRC brake pads no longer use asbestos (under Braking Directive 98/12/EC I think), nor do attics insulation - insulation now is all glass fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I scraped my car with the little bit of metal on my belt when cleaning it! I took it to Body craft (I think that's the name) A little place in North Strand. They got it looking like there never was a mark on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

kbannon wrote:
    IIRC brake pads no longer use asbestos (under Braking Directive 98/12/EC I think), nor do attics insulation - insulation now is all glass fibre.

Thanks for that.

I always wear gloves and a mask when changing the brake pads. Thanks. :D

• Advertisement

I didn't say the stuff wasn't toxic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JoeA3

#1 - this is completely normal. All cars do this, you are only noticing it cos the spoked alloys make the brake discs so visible.

#2- beware attempting to patch it up with paint! You are likely to make it much much worse. Try "Meguairs Scratch X", followed by some wax. This should help a lot. You will never be able to patch it up with a touch up stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

1. This is kind of normal,the brake disc will get a light film of rust particularly in wet weather.Attached is a pic of mine which hasn't been used in a couple of days.

DSC_2834%20m.JPG

2. To mask the scratch you could try to fill it with a back permanent marker and give it a coat of wax.Will need to be redone but you need to be careful with touch up paint so as you don't ruin the car

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest if I had a brand new 07 car with a small scratch I would not go messing with diy paint kits or markers on it. A bad repair job will show up on a new car straight away and you will hate yourself for going at it. Either take it to a professional for advice or live with it the way it is.

I know what it is like to have "new car syndrome", you try to rap the car in cotton wool and spot every little thing that happens to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Thanks a million for the advice - very much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

I'm surprised that a new car would get rust on the discs in only a few hours. I do know that if you let them sit for a few days you will get rust spots.
    You can get some brake disc cleaner if it is really a problem. Problem might not be as bad after using this product.
    Agreed about taking a new car to a pro to get the scratch removed.....all depending on price.

Advertisement