Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons Dublin

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody had an experience with New Horizons in Dublin - i was thinking of doing a course there but they wouldn't give me a price unless I called into them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah FFS, that's unbelievable.

There was a thread over on one of the education forums before Christmas about a certain company's questionable credentials and practices, for some reason this crowd reminded me of that thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Personally, that would set the alarm bells ringing for me straight away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That sounds like a hard sell.

If they can't do stuff on line, how much use can they be ???

what type of course do you want to do, easer to suggest alternatives that way,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was looking to do an mcsa with the exchange elective. The guy rang me back withing 10 mins of submitting the form but all he wanted to do was arrange a time for me to come into them. I work in IT as a junior network admin - I support/build the servers and support exchange too but I'd like to get certified and learn more about what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

New Horizons would generally be a well respected training company. They're the only place you can do Microsoft certification exams in Dublin.

They probably just need to have a proper chat with you to make sure you pick the right course.

Alternatively, you could always try IACT on Stephen's green?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

krinpit wrote:
    They're the only place you can do Microsoft certification exams in Dublin.
    are you sure about that ?
    anyway there are oodles of places offering MCSA's

anyway they are on the list.

yes an interview might be the best way to decide the exact course to go with but still think that in this day and age they should be able to give info without having to goto them

http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/learning/

BT Training
    Calyx Training
    Moresoft Computer Training
    New Horizons Ireland
    Passax Computers
    PFH Computer Training
    QA Training
    Sureskills Training

other places - just to show the variety
    http://www.nightcourses.com/profiles/ashfield/
    http://www.dorset-college.ie/computingcourse.aspx?ID=89
    http://www.fas.ie/services_to_businesses/programmes/dublin.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Would have to say I founds Calyx Training quite good, I did my 70-270, 70-290 and 70-284 there

all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well New Horizons is not the only one to provide MCP certifications in Dublin, but they are the only one to be a approved Prometric Testing Center that deliver the test itself. You coul go with a few other Cert Center with VUE, there are about 6 in Dublin, but to schedule an exam it is a nightmare. Plus VUE is more expensive than Prometric. A Microsoft exam is 140 euros with Prometric, about 170 with VUE.

Anyway if you are already working with MS Products in a prod environment, trainer conducted training might help to get new skills and certainly even understand or go further in some aspects of the products, but a good Microsoft Press book might also do it, depending of your self hability to learn by yourself.

See my point ? All marketing.

Moved to a more appropiate place - have a look at the stickies for other places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭donaghs

I did the A+ with them four years ago and had no problems with them. Admittedly my work paid for it, I'm more cautious with my own money (i.e I prefer to do self-study). It was CBT stuff with a A+/MSCE certified instructor overseeing the students. Suited my needs fine at the time. Strange that they couldn't give a quote. I always go back to them to do MCP exams as they've always been more helpful and friendly to me than any of the other training/testing centres.

I actually bought cbt nuggets vids online last week and have been working away with them - so far i'm really happy with them because i can study whenever i want!

• Advertisement

Yeah CBT are pretty good but you will find later if you want to pass the exams that your CBT was supposed to cover, because CBT is exam oriented, that many points are missing.
    So make sure before you go, you review exam overview from MS website, and content of the CBT in question.
    But if you do extra searches you will find the missing parts.
    But the guys are not bad and usually pretty well explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rooker7

I used New Horizons quite a bit in the UK when I was younger, they were very good and I sent staff there for various courses - all with good feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

tom dunne wrote:
    Ah FFS, that's unbelievable.

Personally, that would set the alarm bells ringing for me straight away.

Just to be upfront about this, I currently work for New Horizons, although it is not in that capacity that I signed up and have used these boards almost since they were started.

If you've done training in Dublin with other training companies it probably does seem unbelievable, because other training companies aren’t offering anything like the choice of options (delivery, pricing, flexibility) that New Horizons are, and they certainly aren’t offering the same level of service.

There is nothing underhand about why we encourage people to come in for a consultation. Quite the opposite in fact, simply: the main goal of New Horizons Ireland is to be recognised as the BEST training provider in Ireland*.

To this end we go the extra mile and give people a no obligation consultation that is supposed to let them know exactly what they are getting into with their choice of course. Both from a technical and career perspective and it is supposed to let a potential client properly evaluate our training centre.

The combination of the number of delivery options/platforms and various pricing options means that without having this consultation we cannot guarantee that you are getting an accurate price. For example, saying to me "how much is an MCSA with you guys" is tantamount to saying "How long is a length of string".

At best, with no information about your situation, I can give you a range and in the case of the above example (the full MCSA training track) that range would be: €748 - €5,900. Is that useful to you?

It would be easier for us if we conducted a four week MCSA bootcamp, as some of our competitors do because there are no options; you either start it when they want or you don’t. It’s very easy to quantify something that in-flexible. We don’t do this however because we want our students to leave with actual skills and knowledge, not just the feeling that they might be prepared for a Microsoft MCP exam.

In addition we conduct technical training in a very unique way to the Irish market. It's almost impossible to communicate how this works effectively without having seen it. I say this speaking from experience of having tried. Someone else has called it CBT training with a mentor but having seen many CBT training courses, it’s not an accurate description.

Finally, we have clients that include some of the largest companies and government departments in the country. These include, Microsoft, BDO Simpson Xavier, Tesco, Bank of Ireland, Independent Newspapers, Matter Hospital, The Evaluation Office, to name just a few.

If anyone from Boards.ie wants to have a no-BS chat with me about training and your options drop me an email: neil.sisson at newhorizons.com or call me on 8898709.

There will be no hard sells, like someone who posted before me suggested and I’ll even give you a preferential pricing for being a boards.ie member.

Neil

* - 98% of New Horizons clients would recommend New Horizons to others (Source: KnowledgeAdvisors, an independent third party evaluation service that survey every student after their class/course with training providers)
    - New Horizons Ireland is ranked as the #1 Learning provider in Ireland and consistently out performs benchmark peer IT training companies in instructor performance, courseware, quality and facility satisfaction. (source: KnowledgeAdvisors)
    - New Horizons have achieved Gold CPLS status and are the only Gold CPLS based solely on training.
    - New Horizons won the Best Trainer Award in the SFA National Small Business Awards in 2006
    - We have up to 70% more practical labs than our competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Shador,

Original post was
    " Customer asked for price, but had to go into NH to get it"

Asking the price of a course over the phone is not an unreasonable request, if the customer wanted more information , you could have asked did they need an appointment.

Sounds like over vealous marketing to me.

I was wondering why the guy would have asked to come over in personn ?
    When I saw your sig I understood why..You are a FEMALE !

I have asked a quote over the phone 3 weeks ago and go it no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Neil, I appreciate your honest disclosure, but please bear in mind that the charter specifies no advertising in thread.

Please keep any future details in the Certification - What, When and Where sticky at the top of the forum.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

tk123 wrote:
    Has anybody had an experience with New Horizons in Dublin - i was thinking of doing a course there but they wouldn't give me a price unless I called into them?

I'm looking to do A+ and proabably N+ after depending on how things go course. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where Horizons was based in Dublin ?

I was looking at BCT in merrion square and A+ is expensive there, but if i can get my employer to pay at least half i would be happy ;)

celt2005 wrote:
    Shador,

Original post was

Asking the price of a course over the phone is not an unreasonable request, if the customer wanted more information , you could have asked did they need an appointment.

The guy also said that they didn't allow people to just book exams there if you didn't do the course with them - even thou you can book them on prometric's site without even contacting NH!! Anyhoos I'm glad i went with the cbt/test sim route i think i might get funny looks for sipping coke/having a snacks/having no shoes on/taking a few mins to visit boards if i was in a classroom somewhere! :D

tk123 wrote:
    The guy also said that they didn't allow people to just book exams there if you didn't do the course with them - even thou you can book them on prometric's site without even contacting NH!!

That is absolutely correct. Prometric are an independant third party body who administer technical exams. We can only book exam dates for students of New Horizons into the exam centre.

Prometric book everyone else through their own website.

This is one of the big benefits of training with New Horizons, because we can get you an exam date in about two days. If you book with Prometric often times it can be up to a month before you can get an exam date.
    Anyhoos I'm glad i went with the cbt/test sim route i think i might get funny looks for sipping coke/having a snacks/having no shoes on/taking a few mins to visit boards if i was in a classroom somewhere! :D

Best of luck with the course and for the record, no one would have batted an eyelid with you drinking coke or taking your shoes off....well, unless your feet smell :)

celt2005 wrote:
    Shador,

Original post was

As I said...
    Shad0r wrote:
    For example, saying to me "how much is an MCSA with you guys" is tantamount to saying "How long is a length of string".

At best, with no information about your situation, I can give you a range and in the case of the above example (the full MCSA training track) that range would be: €748 - €5,900. Is that useful to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

they used to be good. but not anymore. last two times I was there, I felt like I was inconveniencing everyone with my presence, and they never booked my exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

was there last month and they were sound

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're forever awkward about my non matching signatures (due to dyspraxia) but otherwise fine. Never tried to charge an extra proctor fee like some places (passax in galway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Never had any problems with them. Always helpful and was 10 mins late for an exam once and was still able to sit it no problem

Advertisement