Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips for getting a good used car deal at a dealership

Options
  • 18-01-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Looking at trading in the missus' car to get something a bit bigger. Her car is worth around 5k and I'd be looking at something worth up to 10k. Have an idea what I'm looking for, and I'm going to hit the dealerships in the next few weeks with the aim of picking up a good deal with a trade-in. Main reason is I don't want the hassle of selling privately (will end up doing that with my own car which I'm also changing soon, so one is enough to deal with).

So I'll be looking for the best deal I can get.

Any tips on extracting the best possible amount for the trade-in, and typically how much of a discount could I extract on a used car price in % terms ? I read on one of the a4 related threads about 10% on a new car in the 40k region...

Also - will I get a good deal on the trade-in at a dealership in general ?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

when trading in, you're best bet is to get a good trade in for your current car. You could try some white lies by playing a garage off another. Another thing I'll say is don't be afraid to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

bennyx_o wrote:
    when trading in, you're best bet is to get a good trade in for your current car.

not exactly sure what you mean by that ? do you mean you should get a good price for the trade-in before discussing the purchase price of what you're looking for ? will a dealer do this - give you a book price for what you're trading in before considering what you want to buy ?

That would be great if so, as it makes the whole thing more transparent.

Good tips on playing them off each other, and also walking away. I fully intend to do both if that's what it takes to get what I want !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Decide on what make and model you want, spend a day or two visiting garages where you've seen the car you want for sale. Get trade-in prices from all of them - you'd be amazed at the differences in trade-in valuations.

Make sure to have the car you are trading-in spotless and in good general shape otherwise that'll be an excuse for them to drop the value of it.

When you've shopped around, visit the top two dealers you have listed again and push for their best deal. The fact that you've come back to them should spark a deal. Don't be afraid to appear cheeky - put it to them that you really like the car and want to buy, but at the right price. Then even if they refuse your first offer, it's a starting point from which to bargain from. If your initial offer is too high, you could end up paying too much.

Finally, make sure you take a good long look at the car before finally agreeing to buy. Take your time, and don't feel under pressure to rush into it. Check the car bodywork top to bottom, open all the doors and look around the door openings/frames etc.. Check the boot, pull out the spare wheel, check around the front under the bonnet for signs of accident damage. Be thorough.

Try and take a look underneath, and check the tyres and exhaust system as best you can.

Inside check all seats front and back, door trim, ceiling, dash etc.. Check all electrical items - sun roof, windows, mirrors, demister, air con, radio/CD, central locking.

Take the car for a decent spin and check the steering, brakes, clutch and gearbox. Listen for knocks whilst driving.

Be sure to check the VIN against the VLC (or V5). If you can get the name of the previous owner (he/she may have given permission for this), all the better - give them a call and ask them about the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mido

Just a further question on this topic - tax and NCT are due on our car which we're looking to sell and am considering trading it in. The car is only worth about 3500, is a dealer likely to offer much more if tax & NCT are up to date for the next year/2 years respectively? Is it worth the hassle, especially the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Mido wrote:
    Just a further question on this topic - tax and NCT are due on our car which we're looking to sell and am considering trading it in. The car is only worth about 3500, is a dealer likely to offer much more if tax & NCT are up to date for the next year/2 years respectively? Is it worth the hassle, especially the NCT?
    probably not worth your while getting it NCT'ed and taxed. especially if it needs much work in order to pass the NCT...

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
Advertisement