Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Now?,.. Why Here?

Options
  • 18-01-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Just thought of a new Spiritual question might like to ask and see other people's views on it..

forget the typical question of why are we here and all that.
    mine is...

Why in this time and age I was born?
    Like why was'nt I born into the 1100's or 520 AD ? or even before?

Is it your Destiny? a pattern of the existence?

I believe that GOD did decide it for me based on his all knowing knowledge of me as a soul and whats the best suited time for me to exist.

I would like to see what some of you might think and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have work to do and lessons to learn in this time and this lifetime as part of my soul journey/developement.

That for me explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Suff wrote:
    Why in this time and age I was born?
    For myself its accident. Wherever you go, there you are.

I'm not sure how it works with God in the picture. Is your view that God creates souls then thinks 'that's a soul that's particularly suited to being born around 1980'. Or do you think God says 'I need to populate the years starting in the 1980s. I'll manufacture some souls that suit those years.'

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Schuhart wrote:
    Is your view that God creates souls then thinks 'that's a soul that's particularly suited to being born around 1980'. Or do you think God says 'I need to populate the years starting in the 1980s. I'll manufacture some souls that suit those years.'

Dunno, ...maybe both!

like create groovy/hippie souls for the 60's n' 70's (I'm included :D ) then maybe created {bad-taste in everything} souls to populate the 80's and grumpy ones for the 90's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Life on earth has evolved in this manner, and that takes millions of years to occur. In the thousands of years of human domination, there has been many many different calendars adopted and dropped. It so happens that as a result of political and religious occurances, in Ireland we use the Gregorian calendar, and thus it is the 19th January 2007.

If the French Revolutionary Calendar became popular then it would be Année 215 de la République Mois de Nivose Decade III Jour du Nonidi.

I'd stop reading into the whole "why now" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd stop reading into the whole "why now" thing.
    That's so 1990s.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Life on earth has evolved in this manner, and that takes millions of years to occur. In the thousands of years of human domination, there has been many many different calendars adopted and dropped. It so happens that as a result of political and religious occurances, in Ireland we use the Gregorian calendar, and thus it is the 19th January 2007.

Yeah but No but yeah but No,... I mean you've missed the point here.
    yourself as a soul came to live at this day and age, why not 1000 years ago or 100 years from now? thats the Question.
    If the French Revolutionary Calendar became popular then it would be Année 215 de la République Mois de Nivose Decade III Jour du Nonidi.

Show off!

would some fo you agree with me that:
    We are the lucky generation!? think of all the achievements we've made in terms of technolog, medicine, science, medicine, travel,..etc
    two generations ago, they didn't have any elements of our current daily life, ok polution/ golbal warming was'nt an issue as it is today but when we look at their life you really appreciate what you have.
    I dont know about the next generations, there are too many threats now from polution/ golbal warming to a nuclear holocaust. I know whats some of you might say....all predictions made in the early 1900's were cast aside / rejected.
    I dont know,... :S forget all the above, I'm tired of thinking about it.... I'm going to numb my brain with food.

*Edit:
    After the food..everything turns to bliss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Suff wrote:
    Yeah but No but yeah but No,... I mean you've missed the point here.
    yourself as a soul came to live at this day and age, why not 1000 years ago or 100 years from now? thats the Question.

Well answering that question would necessitate belief in a 'soul' in the first place, so I think I'll leave it to the rest of ye to answer instead! ;)
    Suff wrote:
    Show off!

I used: http://www.calendarhome.com/converter/

:D
    Suff wrote:
    would some fo you agree with me that:
    We are the lucky generation!? think of all the achievements we've made in terms of technolog, medicine, science, medicine, travel,..etc
    two generations ago, they didn't have any elements of our current daily life, ok polution/ golbal warming was'nt an issue as it is today but when we look at their life you really appreciate what you have.
    I dont know about the next generations, there are too many threats now from polution/ golbal warming to a nuclear holocaust. I know whats some of you might say....all predictions made in the early 1900's were cast aside / rejected.
    I dont know,... :S forget all the above, I'm tired of thinking about it.... I'm going to numb my brain with food.

*Edit:
    After the food..everything turns to bliss :)

Was that a heroin sandwich you had, cos to the sober mind that paragraph appears to be gibberish! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

DaveMcG behave.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Was that a heroin sandwich you had, cos to the sober mind that paragraph appears to be gibberish! :D

Maybe!... I don't know what they feed Chickens these days!
    All I could say in response:... it made sense to me at the time of writing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

You're spirit decided when to incarnate for it's own reasons. You forget what they are when you're born though. You're still your spirit (in a body).

Or from a reincarnation point of view you were in fact born in a few various times.

Or from a, perhaps zen sense, you are everything and everywhen. But again you can't see this because of relative consciousness'. Rather like everyone is one schizophrenic. God/Tao/it has multiple personalities :p

Or you don't exist at all and it's one grand illusion.

And maybe time doesn't exist. You can only exist in the now along with everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

The prime difficulty I think with this question is that as humans it is very difficult for us to a) understand the concept of time and b) difficult to appreciate the implications of conciousness or rather a time when your "own" consciousness did not exist.

The why now bit is therefore I think quite difficult to consider. Also it assumes that you current existence at this point in time has a specific reason rather than the more obvious answer which is that you ARE hear now!

Hope this has made this more confusing for everyone lol!

I love the Oscar Wilde quote which goes something like................."I was dead for millions of years before I was born and I didn't suffer even the slightest inconvenience from it"!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Its like that Fatboy Slim tune and video, Right here, right now-all life has progressed and evolved upwards at breakneck speed from primeival beginnings to end up with an entity that sits on a bench and doesn't do much other than sleep and eat, ie me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

i read the OP and the first thing that came to mind was a quote from the film Zulu.

Where the young lad says to the sargeant, "why us?"

The sarge replies: "'cos were ere laddie, there's no-one else"

So whatever the reason, were here . Its how we progress in gthis life thats important, not working out hwy and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well I'm agnostic, so the athiest in me says I'm here because sh*t happens, and the theist in me says, if a higher power created me, then who am I to even be able to comprehend why or how.

So basically, I don't care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

We are all here to live and continue the species. There is a lot more besides but it's hard to get complete agreement between two people on what those reasons are.

I believe we are evolving as is the entire universe, I think that we may come back in different bodies many times until we have done what we are intended to do, this would be a key theme in a lot of religions including some pagan ones.

I think that we are like fish inside a bowl really, most of us cannot look at our limited experience of life from the outside without dying. But... like a fish that jumps out of the water for a few seconds we can receive insights and enlightenment that change us but like the fish falling back into the bowl again, that experience is usually short lived and without truly absorbing the lessons from it the experience is often quickly forgotten.

Life is beautiful but no-one ever said it was going to be fair!

http://www.electricpublications.com

Advertisement