Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to clear my conscience

Options
  • 17-01-2007 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I feel the need to get this story off my mind so please excuse me if I rant on a little.
    I’ve been carrying this monkey on my back since I was 11 years old (19 years ) and feel that it may help me to get closure if I discuss it.
    Ya see… the thing is, When I was 9, I had a gold fish which I really really loved. It was my first pet and I used to eat my dinner beside it every evening on a side board which we had in our living room. I’d endlessly look at it swimming around it’s bowl and I felt we had a real bond.

My older sister was always the one that cleaned out his bowl even though he was my fish and I would always argue that I was old enough and responsible enough to be able to do it myself.
    2 years passed, I’m now 11 and our bond had gotten even stronger but my sister was still the one who’d clean out his bowl and my arguments seemed to fall on deaf ears.
    Until one day whilst in the middle of cleaningthe bowl my sister got called away and I took the opportunity to prove myself and also increase the bond between me and my gold fish.
    So.
    I cleaned his bowl and washed his stones in the bath tub. I then put his stones back into the bowl with his little ship wreck toy thingy and filled the bowl with water. I then lifted him up out of the sink and placed him in his newly cleaned, cleaner than clean bowl.
    As I walked grinningly into the living room, I felt a great sense of achievement as I put him back onto his place on the sideboard. I stood looking at him for a couple of minutes before calling my sister into the room to show her what I had done and how my gold fish was obviously delighted too as he was leaping (dolphinesque) up out of the water before splashing back in.
    My sister was amazed at the new trick I had thought him and went in for a closer look before screaming and running with the bowl towards the bathroom all the time shouting a torrent of abuse at me and reminding me of how stupid I was.
    Apparently……….golf fish don’t like hot water!

Over the next few days I watched as my gold fish, slowly dying, swam slantily, his skin turning a whiteish colour as his scales seemed to fall off his body into the depths of his bowl. Obviously I was very upset.

Day 4 and he’s on his last fins. My sister convinces me that it’s time to flush him, as he would then make it to the sea and have a much better chance of survival in his natural habitat.

I felt terrible for doing this to him and often wondered was my sister lying to me about him being ok. I feel that by talking about it today, it may help me to feel a little better about the situation and am already feeling a little better.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience?
    Who new that gold fish don’t like hot water?
    Was it too much too soon, or is an 11 year old normally ready for cleaning bowl responsabilities?
    Is 2 years a good innings inanyway for a gold fish?
    Could my fish still be alive?
    Is a gold fish’s natural habitat the sea?
    Isn’t it weird that he turned white?

Anywho, Gotta go now as I have to wash the dog.

Regards

Jarvis.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are going to hell OP, no doubt about it. :)

When I was a young lad there was no fish food left, ya know the flakey stuff that you drop onto the surface of the water, so I broke up some Weetabix into little flakes and fed it to them. It didn't work but..but it looked like fish food! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

aww bless jarvis....

heehee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jeepers the poor fish. Horrible image, the one of the fish jumping in and out of the water trying to escape. But I think God will let this one slip.

One time at my friends house, we were cleaning out his Hamster cage. Cleaned it immaculately. Then at the end , an hour later - you'd have to ask, how the bloody hell did we manage to not notice until this point - we realised that we didn't have the Hamster anymore.

He was in the bin with all the straw. For over an hour. Poor guy. At least, it ended well, although he did disappear the last time a short few weeks later, never to be found again...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is sadder than bambi. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Archeron

Excellent, a conscience clearing thread.

Arlene, I'm sorry. You didnt actually have rats in your bedroom, it was me who nibbled the corners off all of your video tape boxes, but only because someone told me it would be funny. How was I to know it would result in you moving? And as for the conclusive evidence of the rat poo in the corner.......well, I'm sorry to say, but they were actually small chocolate balls out of a yoghurt product. Thats the only reason I started eating them in front of you; I cant really tell what creature a poo came out of by taste alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oh, I can imagine the guilt! Well, it's out now, the healing process can begin :D

When I was a kid a friend of mine had a rabbit. One day while his Mam was at his Aunties he decided to wash his rabbit...this was in the days when it was legal to leave a six year old at home on his own for hours on end.

So he went about washing the rabbit...by putting him in the machine and adding some Persil before switching it on. It was Summer so my friend decided to dry the bunny on the line and gently hung him out to dry by his ears...he did it gently because the bunny was 'asleep'.

Then his Mammy came home and had to explain sympathetically to my friend that washing machines are for clothes only and that the bunny had gone to heaven. I attended the funeral with my friend and all was well until he turned to me and told me that I was right when I said he shouldn't have stuck him in the machine. All sympathy was gone and for some reason I got blamed for not stopping him! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

r3nu4l wrote:
    So he went about washing the rabbit...by putting him in the machine and adding some Persil before switching it on. It was Summer so my friend decided to dry the bunny on the line and gently hung him out to dry by his ears...he did it gently because the bunny was 'asleep'.

Roffle :D Oh my God, I can't believe the kid actually did that! Very conscientious of him to add the Persil...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can't wait to pour hot water on my cousins fisheseseseseeseses........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

jarvis wrote:

Anywho, Gotta go now as I have to wash the dog.
    With boiling hot water right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

My brother caught me actually stealing baby birds from a nest in a shed behind our house when I was seven or eight. They ended up dying, which I had completely forgotten about until this topic was brought up. They were swallows.

I don't remember much about it, apart from getting a huge smack from my brother when I was caught,which I will never forget:eek: ... have always maintained a healthy respect (and distance) for birds and nature ever since!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Eating him would be the ultimate compliment instead of putting him in with your ****

InFront wrote:
    My brother caught me actually stealing baby birds from a nest in a shed behind our house when I was seven or eight. They ended up dying, which I had completely forgotten about until this topic was brought up. They were swallows.

I don't remember much about it, apart from getting a huge smack from my brother when I was caught,which I will never forget:eek: ... have always maintained a healthy respect (and distance) for birds and nature ever since!!

Don't worry they have a couple of sets of hatchlings, you didn't endanger the population as much as your brother may have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

When I was very young I was on holidays down the country and I was playing down by the river next to where we were staying. There were gaps in the wall under the bridge which often had bird nests in them. That year one of the nests had eggs in it. A couple of days later I went down to check on it and the eggs had hatched and there were four bady birds in the nest.

I went to tell my Dad and told him to come and see and I ran back down to the nest. Well I had the not so good idea to pick up the nest and bring it to him. The nest fell apart as I pulled it from the wall and three of the baby birds fell down onto the ledge I was standing on. Two of them rolled into the river and got swept away but I managed to pick up the other one and put it back in.

Man I felt so guilty - I had nightmares about it for weeks. I even went to confession and told the priest. I can't imagine what he was thinking when I said "Bless me father for I have sinned... I killed two baby birds." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Archeron wrote:
    Excellent, a conscience clearing thread.

Arlene, I'm sorry. You didnt actually have rats in your bedroom, it was me who nibbled the corners off all of your video tape boxes, but only because someone told me it would be funny. How was I to know it would result in you moving? And as for the conclusive evidence of the rat poo in the corner.......well, I'm sorry to say, but they were actually small chocolate balls out of a yoghurt product. Thats the only reason I started eating them in front of you; I cant really tell what creature a poo came out of by taste alone.

:D Classic stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Bizarre story. Sorry for your loss.:(

You're very funny though, well written, got a giggle out of me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? No

Who new that gold fish don’t like hot water? They can actually live in warm water, but common sense would suggest that NO creature can with stand boiling water

Was it too much too soon, or is an 11 year old normally ready for cleaning bowl responsabilities? Maybe not, had he been given instructions

Is 2 years a good innings inanyway for a gold fish? No, they can live to be 40. Mine are 9 and have recently been given a new home in a big tank at the aquarium I work in.

Could my fish still be alive? Um....

Is a gold fish’s natural habitat the sea? No. Salt will kill them.

Isn’t it weird that he turned white? They usually turn white from a lack of light. The hot water thing is news to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My then 5(?) year old niece decided to change the goldfish's water at 7am one Sunday. Wanda got lucky when my sister heard the splashing water.

I once dropped a newborn puppy. :(

Victor wrote:
    I once dropped a newborn puppy. :(

I heard they bounce?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

So he went about washing the rabbit...by putting him in the machine and adding some Persil

Shoulda used daz. It would've got it whiter than white.

I stood on one of my pet mice when i was a kid. It's eyes bulged out of it's head, poor thing.
    I gave it a decent burial out the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I put the SCREW in the tuna:( I put the screw in the tuna:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fishy story?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not on concrete. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

haha!! keenan and kel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

bronte wrote:
    haha!! keenan and kel! :D
    ugh vomit-atious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Car Mad wrote:
    I put the SCREW in the tuna:( I put the screw in the tuna:(

You'll love this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKpiuTCPabk haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

Lorax wrote:

ha excellent, i loved the i have a radio in my car episode

Lorax wrote:
    love it:D Thanks for posting that.

I started the fire. I'm sorry, it was foolish and immature of me.:(

• Advertisement

I started the fire. I'm sorry, it was foolish and immature of me.:(

which fire:confused:
    If you have comited a crime and want to own up please click yes.
    If you have not comited a crime please click no.

*Clicks NO

You have selected no which means you have comited a crime and dont want to own up a dozen squad cars are on the way to your house now.
    While you are waiting why not look at our new range of garda shirts you have the right to remain fabulous!!!

:D:D:D

Advertisement