Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Conor Faughnan

Options
  • 17-01-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Speaks more shoite yet again :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0117/petrol.html?rss

He says petrol prices are unlikely to fall much further than last months average but yet most garages (around Dublin anyway) seem to be offering petrol and diesel for well under the euro mark :confused: My local Texaco who wouldnt be the cheapest by any means has petrol at 98.9 and Diesel at 97.9 !

Good man Conor! This sort of consumer inertia is why prices are the way they are in this country, this clown has just given the fuel companies an excuse to lash on a few more cents again when the mood takes them....just because this 'expert' was asked for an opinion.

I remember this guy when he used to read out the traffic on 2fm :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Faughnan ain't an economist is he? Nope! Prices are been ticking down a few % in the last 3-4 weeks and if the US winter stays milder than average then we might see furthur falls. Would'nt expect anything lower than about 95 cent average though (assuming nothing else hits fan in meantime).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

mike65 wrote:
    Faughnan ain't an economist is he? Nope!

Never a truer word spoken ! He should keep his trap shut on stuff he doesn't understand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This guy makes me sick.

He should be jumping up and down in the media highlighting the plight of the irish motorist, not pointing out his opinion on stuff nobody asked him to.

He always seems to side with big business or the government.

Ireland needs a proper motorists association that has some clout with the govt.
    like the vitners.

Maybe : 'United Motorists Front of Eire' :D or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭tc20

RobAMerc wrote:

Tossers. Its the Motorists United Front of Eire you should be following, bignose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RobAMerc wrote:
    This guy makes me sick.

He should be jumping up and down in the media highlighting the plight of the irish motorist, not pointing out his opinion on stuff nobody asked him to.

He always seems to side with big business or the government.

Ireland needs a proper motorists association that has some clout with the govt.
    like the vitners.

What do you want him to say? "Irish motorists are by far on the lower end of the petrol price scale but to hell with that, we want it cheaper"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was thinking about this last week. Lately all of the petrol stations have settled around the 99 cent mark. They say they are making a loss at this but that they take the hit so that they make the money back elsewhere.

What happens when they start to raise the price en masse?
    99c -> 1.10c -> 1.20c -> 1.40c -> 1.80c -> 2.20c

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I tend to agree with the OP TBH. He 'forecasted' the way fuel prices would go over a previous month when prices were rising gradually, and BANG, the following day the garages all put their prices up to his 'forecast'.

Tis not all his fault though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tc20 wrote:
    Tossers. Its the Motorists United Front of Eire you should be following, bignose :D
    Isn't it the Motorists United Front of Free Ireland? Or MUFFi...

I am positive there's a Batman style red phone in Faughnan's office which rings whenever a soundbite is needed on something related to motoring.

Robbo wrote:
    Isn't it the Motorists United Front of Free Ireland? Or MUFFi...

I am positive there's a Batman style red phone in Faughnan's office which rings whenever a soundbite is needed on something related to motoring.
    LOL and he is 'Chief O'Hara' :D

Its a pity the likes if today fm call on this guy as their resident expert for all matters relating to cars, road quality, tolls to fuel prices, jesus lads !
    I'd actually respect the average joe on the street more than this lad.
    Maybe the media pay his wages and the AA is just a franchise for him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Its all to do with PR and the high profile he has in the AA. He is definitely no eddie hobbs.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Conor Faughnan is the PR spokesman for a private company.
    His job is presumably to voice the AAs opinion on certain motoring related issues not necessarily to stand up for motorists and fight their corner.
    However, he does seem to be the only person in media circles that has a pro-motorist voice. Realistically, what would things be like if he wasn't there?

kbannon wrote:
    Conor Faughnan is the PR spokesman for a private company.
    His job is presumably to voice the AAs opinion on certain motoring related issues not necessarily to stand up for motorists and fight their corner.
    However, he does seem to be the only person in media circles that has a pro-motorist voice. Realistically, what would things be like if he wasn't there?

Wouldnt be any worse ;) Give someone else a chance, this guy is a waffler.

OIL prices briefly fell below $50 per barrel yesterday for the first time since May 25, 2005, after the U.S. government reported larger-than-expected jumps in crude oil and gasoline inventories.

Oil has dropped 17pc since the end of 2006 amid weeks of mild winter weather in the U.S. Northeast, a key consumer of heating fuels, and growing energy stockpiles.

"There's no doubt that this is significant," said Phil Flynn of Alaron Trading Corp.

"If you're a bull, the only thing you can hold your hat on is they didn't close below $50."

Quick someone call Conor and ask him what this means for the Irish motorist and why his prediction of the other day now looks like horsesh1t ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

RobAMerc wrote:

oh but then he might have to explain why his own "organisation" isn't the most consumer-friendly bunch of folks when it comes to the insurance side of things, notice how he never rocks the boat about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MAYPOP wrote:
    oh but then he might have to explain why his own "organisation" isn't the most consumer-friendly bunch of folks when it comes to the insurance side of things, notice how he never rocks the boat about that?
    Care to elucidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

tc20 wrote:

I think the "life of brian" humour has been lost on everyone! PITY!

Alun wrote:
    Care to elucidate?

Not sure what their policy is at the moment as they do not quote online, but for many years they would only insure over-28's, which isn't very consumer-friendly IMO, and seems to me to be hypocritical when they have a spokesman frequently condemning petrol prices, VRT, tax, etc.

MAYPOP wrote:
    Not sure what their policy is at the moment as they do not quote online, but for many years they would only insure over-28's, which isn't very consumer-friendly IMO, and seems to me to be hypocritical when they have a spokesman frequently condemning petrol prices, VRT, tax, etc.
    Well, the AA (in Ireland in any case) is only a broker, not an insurance company themselves, so they're bound by the policy restrictions of the insurance companies that they happen to deal with.

Alun wrote:
    Well, the AA (in Ireland in any case) is only a broker, not an insurance company themselves, so they're bound by the policy restrictions of the insurance companies that they happen to deal with.

I don't really care if they are brokers, they refused to quote people because of their age.

MAYPOP wrote:
    I don't really care if they are brokers, they refused to quote people because of their age.
    Well, if the insurance companies they broker for won't accept people under 28, for whatever reason, they haven't really got any choice have they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote:
    Well, if the insurance companies they broker for won't accept people under 28, for whatever reason, they haven't really got any choice have they?

I was in the AA office during the week about insurance. I'm 24, and got a quote, albeit a very uncompetitive one. The guy explained that the insurers give them special rates on over 28s, and that is their target market.

A different Broker gave me a quote that is half the AA one, despite the actual insurers being the same. Horses for courses, not something worth getting worried about.

Advertisement