Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time do you start work?

Options
  • 17-01-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what time people start work at as often when coming home after a night shift I'd be heading out the Lucan road at 9am and still see lines of cars heading into the city. One imagines that most people work 9 to 5 but just how many people work outside these hours?

What time do you start work at? 66 votes

Before 6am
    0% 0 votes
    6-6:59am
    3% 2 votes
    7-7:59am
    0% 0 votes
    8-8:59am
    24% 16 votes
    9-9:59am
    31% 21 votes
    10-10:59am
    34% 23 votes
    11am or after
    1% 1 vote
    Shift work, nights and days
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

When I was in Ireland, I lived in Thurles but often worked in Dublin 3-4 days a week.
    Depending on what time I needed to be in the city I would be leaving Thurles any time from 5am-6:30am. Getting up 30min before I left.

Usually not leaving Dublin until maybe 5pm-6pm depending on the job. Often later and still face the same drive the next morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The more forward-thinking coompanies operate flexi-time for workers, allowing them to start earlier/later and finish earlier/later. Most people choose the start and finish later option as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm on flexi and usually start between 9:45 and 10am. I've had to vote 9-10am but so have all the 9am starters probably. I think you should have selected different time ranges for the poll!

Anyway it's nice travelling to work on a half empty bus just after the rush. Going home in the evening I go to the gym in town and so avoid the evening rush too. All it takes is a little planning (and a forward thinking employer that allows flexi-time). It's like having an extra hour in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Start time between 7 and 8 am.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

My company allows us to start work between 8 and 10. Unfortunately I work in IT so I finish when my boss decides I finish :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Earliest Start Time - 3.30am
    Latest Start Time - 8.00pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

90 % of the time i start at 10pm or 11pm, if im on days i start at 11 am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It varies for me. Currently I am doing some evening work, so it is 6:30pm, but when I have day work, it is usually 9am. I can work anywhere from Bray to Balbriggan, and having to use public transport, that can mean some early starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You need to fix that poll. Should it be 8 to 8.59 etc. If you start at nine you can apply to both categories.

My official hours of work are 8.45 to 5.30. I spent 16 years working in London where I eithered worked 9-5 or 9.30-5.30. Every job I've worked here has been longer. Employers need to take into account that commuting times are getting longer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tazz T wrote:
    Should it be 8 to 8.59 etc.
    What about people who start between 8.59 and 9.00? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Flexi..
    but like to get in for 7ish to get started and make for the great escape earlier in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I start at 7 (finish at 4).
    At that time I can go from door to door in 50 minutes via public transport from Skerries to the city center.
    Added bonus is that I get a seat both ways on the train. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

My working hours are 8:15 to 4:45. TBH I would have preferred starting/ending late, rather than early, but what can you do. It's hard to make it in for that early.

Advertisement