Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a new model A6 - mileage too high? Opinions

Options
  • 17-01-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currenlty thinking of buying a new model A6 - 2.0 TDI. Cargiant have these 2 in stock:

http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/detail.asp?Id=313847
    http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/detail.asp?Id=314830

Mileage is quite high on both - wouldn't overly concern me if they have full service history. Both cars could be got for about €30k incl. VRT

Cheapest i can find on carzone is about €37k - what are people's opinions/experiences with the new A6 or the cars above?

Thanks,
    BF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

They are nice cars and probably will give good reliable service,

But how much do you think it would be worth in 2 years time with another 40K put on them? A 4 year old a6 with 130K on the clock isn't going to be the most attractive buy unless it's really cheap.

How much is one with say 40k on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Our VRT system favours the importation of low mileage cars. I wouldn't even look at either of those, running costs will be higher and resale much lower than an equivalent car with, say, 20,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Most CarGiant cars have high mileage. I would look at Autotrader if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

try :

www.allapprovedcars.com

I got mine from it last year from a main dealer with F.A.S.H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Thanks for the help - price jumps quite a bit when the mileage is more reasonable - €30k incl VRT is my limit - will look at the sites suggested and hope something turns up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I would have said that VRT would work in your favour at high miles. due to the OMSP calculation it's be much less on a high mileage vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ninty9er wrote:
    I would have said that VRT would work in your favour at high miles. due to the OMSP calculation it's be much less on a high mileage vehicle

No, in my experience, Anan1 is right. The OMSP (and thus the VRT payable) doesn't vary much between high and low mileages for a given car. Much less than the real going rates

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

have had a look at the vrt calculation and there is only a few hundred euro in the difference between an A6 with 25k miles and 85k miles, so the VRT is definitely not favouring high mile cars!

Advertisement