Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tucks on the motorway - question.

Options
  • 17-01-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

So are HGV's artic lorries etc. allowed to use the overtaking lane on a motorway or not? If not, has anyone ever seen this law being enforced? The reason I ask is that they seem to be slowing down a lot of traffic at the start of the M50 northbound every morning. Traffic flow is extremely erratic and it seems to be because the overtaking lane is being flooded with artic's. I'm not griping about this, they have a job to do and want to get from A to B in the quickest time possible - I'm just wondering more than anything.

Now personally I feel sorry for them if it's the law, it's a bit harsh. Surely it's not though? If I'm drving an artic and I can plough along at 95km/h and I come across a car tipping on the motorway at 70-80 km/h I would be damned if I was going to sit behind that car. I'd be out there like a flash. I've seen them getting some grief (cars booting up behind them at 125/130 km/h - jamming on hte brakes and flashing like lunatics) on the road and am just curious about what the law is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

No, they are not allowed use the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Also what is the story with the Port tunnel, thought they couldnt head up town anymore without going through the port tunnel? that was the point of it. Well any morning I have been coming into town and heading home in the evening there is the same amount of trucks on the Quays as there always was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Driving a HGV in the overtaking lane is a penalty point offence now, but I keep seeing it every day, massive 40ft rolling roadblocks :mad:
    I don't think they have banned trucks from Dublin city centre yet, but its coming. Of course, they will still have to allow trucks travelling to destinations in the city in (such as all the guinness ones, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stephen wrote:
    Of course, they will still have to allow trucks travelling to destinations in the city in (such as all the guinness ones, etc).

Their origin will be in the city too :rolleyes:

The HGV Management Strategy will come into operation on the 19th of February, 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They tend not to enforce it on two-lane carriageways, as it's really only intended to keep HGVs out of the right-hand lane on three-lane carriageways. Much like on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bluetonic wrote:
    Their origin will be in the city too :rolleyes:

Not all of them, smartass. There are much larger Guinness trucks (i.e. not the small ones with single-axle trailers that deliver to pubs) that do daily runs from the other breweries around the country to St. James's Gate, normally hauling 40ft trailers loaded with kegs, as well as trucks from ingredient suppliers (usually large tankers and the like).

seamus wrote:
    They tend not to enforce it on two-lane carriageways, as it's really only intended to keep HGVs out of the right-hand lane on three-lane carriageways. Much like on the continent.
    This rule is only in place for motorways. I don't think there are any three lane motorways in Ireland.

From http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php it says "Driving a HGV or bus on the outside lane on a motorway"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

think the city ban is for 5 axle trucks only , anything else will be allowed in with a permit AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I bloody hope there is some enforcement for them.

Personally I don't feel one bit sorry. I see too mnay construction vehicles overtaking and doing dangerous speeds every day on the M50.

layke wrote:
    I bloody hope there is some enforcement for them.

Personally I don't feel one bit sorry. I see too mnay construction vehicles overtaking and doing dangerous speeds every day on the M50.
    The worst one is then you have one truck in the driving lane doing 100kmh and another arsehole in a truck overtaking him at 105kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Big Nelly wrote:
    Also what is the story with the Port tunnel, thought they couldnt head up town anymore without going through the port tunnel? that was the point of it. Well any morning I have been coming into town and heading home in the evening there is the same amount of trucks on the Quays as there always was!!!

They have a month or so grace before they are banned from the quays. I think its around the 20th it kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If I'm drving an artic and I can plough along at 95km/h and I come across a car tipping on the motorway at 70-80 km/h I would be damned if I was going to sit behind that car
    The maximum legal speed limit for a truck over 3.5 tonnes is 80kph. The mandatory speed limiter will allow up to 85/90kph.
    layke wrote:
    I see too mnay construction vehicles overtaking and doing dangerous speeds every day on the M50.
    Tipper truck drivers would be considered to be the 'cowboys' of the truck industry. They are paid per load - that may explain their antics.
    The worst one is then you have one truck in the driving lane doing 100kmh and another arsehole in a truck overtaking him at 105kmh
    Both would be breaking the law anyway, regardless of what lane they were in.
    Stephen wrote:
    massive 40ft rolling roadblocks
    Most trailers are now 45ft. Factoring in the protruding portion of the tractor unit and the space between gives about 55ft in length.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

aww, after seeing the heading i thought they were giving free cracker biscuits :D

Seriously though, Im sick to death of sitting behind a lorry overtaking another lorry but taking about 20 mins to do so. On a sort of seperate note, I was driving behind a truck a few months back, and there were a load of stones coming off the back of it smashing into the front of the car. That wasnt as bad as the rock that rolled off and tumbled towards me in the air, which was around the size of a pineapple. All cars swerving out of the way

antodeco wrote:
    aww, after seeing the heading i thought they were giving free cracker biscuits :D
    LOL :D Didn't spot that!

antodeco wrote:
    Im sick to death of sitting behind a lorry overtaking another lorry but taking about 20 mins to do so
    It's not so pleasant being in the truck doing the overtaking either. I don't understand why the driver of the truck being overtaken, just doesn't ease of the gas for a few seconds. The other truck is marginally faster anyway so what has he to lose?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's not so pleasant being in the truck doing the overtaking either. I don't understand why the driver of the truck being overtaken, just doesn't ease of the gas for a few seconds. The other truck is marginally faster anyway so what has he to lose?

Thats exactly my point. One of 2 errors occur. Either the overtaking truck doesnt have the power to overtake properly, or the other driver has no common sense to slow down. Sometimes I think they are having a yap through their windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

antodeco wrote:
    Thats exactly my point. One of 2 errors occur. Either the overtaking truck doesnt have the power to overtake properly, or the other driver has no common sense to slow down. Sometimes I think they are having a yap through their windows!

The overtaking truck (or bus) usually cannot go any faster because of the speed limiter.

I agree with Wishbone, the logical thing is for the slower truck to ease off for a few seconds but TBH I rarely seen that done.

The law is exceedingly stupid, it is one thing on three lane M-ways in the UK or on the continent but to apply it here to two lane motorways is a typically ignorant Irish political decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think the M50 works would stop if they did start enforcing no HGVs in the outside lane of a motorway.

How are all the trucks supposed to get to the roadworks?:confused:

And with the Port tunnel aren't HGVs coming out in the overtaking lane?

It was a silly law for this country with no 3 lane motorways and till we have some I doubt the Gardai will be too strict with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del2005 wrote:
    Those trucks are in Lane 1 of the mainline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

John R wrote:
    The overtaking truck (or bus) usually cannot go any faster because of the speed limiter.

I agree with Wishbone, the logical thing is for the slower truck to ease off for a few seconds but TBH I rarely seen that done.

The law is exceedingly stupid, it is one thing on three lane M-ways in the UK or on the continent but to apply it here to two lane motorways is a typically ignorant Irish political decision.
    It is stupid alright. A big long straight on a motorway, and they can't overtake a slower truck, but it's OK then to do it on a normal road. I've often seen older trucks tipping along at 40mph on a motorway, and if every artic doing their 50mph limit were to stay behind him until the motorway ended, you'd have a convoy of about 30 trucks doing 40mph! Great!

Del2005 wrote:
    How are all the trucks supposed to get to the roadworks?:confused:
    There are exemptions for road maintenance/roadworks trucks.
    Del2005 wrote:
    They emerge on the centre lane. The law prohibiting trucks refers to the most righthand lane (whether 2 or 3 lane).
    Del2005 wrote:
    it was a silly law for this country with no 3 lane motorways
    Some portions of motorways are 3 lane. (Port Tunnel North exit, the portion of the M1 westbound towards the airport, the Westlink Toll Bridge etc.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement