Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook Head....Unbelievable

Options
  • 16-01-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

A 3rd ship has sunk there today. Cousins of mine died when their trawler sunk back about 17 years ago, and since then it seems like two or three boats go down there a year, but 3 in a week. Eerie, especially as the marine department wouldnt release their report into the accident in 1990.

Mods, wasnt sure where to put this. Do as you will.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

<conspiracy> isn't that the place where there is supposedly a lot of submarine activity? </end conspiracy>

Woman at work said it, but she says a lot of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We nearly need a sea/sailing forum at this stage. The guys who's boat sank today were out looking for the 7 who died earlier which frankly beggars belief. There is no way anyone should be out there until the current stormy spells passes (in about 4/5 days by the looks of it).

Mike.

ps woman at work is an asshole. You can tell her I said so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Silverfish wrote:
    <conspiracy> isn't that the place where there is supposedly a lot of submarine activity? </end conspiracy>

I've done a bit of looking around and the area is popular for cable laying subs, but I'm sure its a case of putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Personally I would imagine its got a lot to do with currents / bad weather simultaneously.

Its pretty awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

At least both of the crew were safely rescued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    We nearly need a sea/sailing forum at this stage!
    A Marine Forum may be more appropriate as a Sailing and Boating Forum already exists. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doh! :oops

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Doh! :oops

Mike.
    Jesus Mike, with 21,867 posts I would have expected better. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Yeah, get a girlfriend! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Silverfish wrote:

TBH, I am totally paranoid anyway, but submarine was the first thing I thought of when I read the headline about a huge wave hitting the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just heard on the radio that the third trawler went down off tuskar rock, isnt that the same place an aer lingus plane crashed in the 1930's...conspiracy

admiralgar wrote:
    isnt that the same place an aer lingus plane crashed in the 1930's...conspiracy
    1968 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

TBH, I am totally paranoid anyway, but submarine was the first thing I thought of when I read the headline about a huge wave hitting the boat.

Submarines don't cause waves, huge or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

How do you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

You should'nt believe everything you read in the paper Koko. I can tell by your post that you dont know the boat in question and are basing your opinion on hearsay and possibly the picture of the boat in the papers which was taken after the boat was hit by a Bell liner in 1999.

The boat is one of the safest and most well equipment in the southeast. Not only did it meet regulations but it exceeded them. It was on its way to Howth for aesthetic repairs if you may. Being done while the weather was too bad to fish. The only reason it wasnt fishing the last week is cos it was out on the search for the other fisherman who unfortunately are still missing.

Personally I think it is those men and their families that we should be focusing our attention on instead of making misinformed remarks about what may or may not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 koko3100

sonners
    Believe me I am think of the me n lost , I knew a few of them a while back
    I am not basing my opinion on the papers or some picture in the new just the case as I see it ,you are right you should nt believe every thing you hear in
    the news
    Really though do you call pulling a shaft out asthetic , The renegade was built in 1968 in De Helder Holland as a beam trawler , it has since been converted & renamed twice
    Have a look here http://www.findafishingboat.com/listings.php?cid=8 you would nearly have to give away a boat like her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think the waters a bit shallow around there for underwater submarine activity tbh, I heard a couple of people mention that one of the trawlers may have hit a submerged container that was washed off a container ship. It would probably account for one of the trawlers being broken up. A lot more needs to be done from a safety point of view as far as I'm concerned, its one of the most dangerous jobs.:(

I know she was built in '68 koko. But for reference, go down to Dunmore and ask a few fishermen how old their boats are? She was one of the newest boats of her size. The irish fishing fleet is one of the oldest in Europe, if not The oldest. This is due to many things (lack of government grants being the main one) but the point is she was'nt as old and decrepit as you are making out.

And all I can see from your link is the abundence of wooden hulled boats we have in our community. The Renegade was a stell hulled boat - very very big difference.

But I do agree with your feelings on the families of the poor men who were lost. It just wrecks my head when I hear people speculating about things they dont know about (I'm not directing this at you personally). You mention you knew some of the men that are missing so I'm sure you've heard just a much sh*t as I have from people that never stepped foot on a fishing boat in their life. Unfortunately the only people that will ever know what really went on last week are the peole we're still looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I heard on the radio that all Irish vessels have to have a monitoring system, VMS, installed on them so the Navy can keep track of them. Surely it wouldn't be difficult for the Navy to automatically radio a ship who's VMS goes offline for a period of time. It could speed up rescue attempts for striken vessels. If an airplane disappears off radar/regular radio contact warning lights start going off. Why isn't the same true of ships? We don't exactly have a vast fishing fleet anymore do we.

The monitoring system the navy have is there to prevent illegal fishing as opposed to monitor safety. They use it to make sure your where you say you are and that your not fishing too far out/too close to shore. I know of numerous occasions where boats have been contacted by the navy within 30 minutes of this equipment breaking. They will ring, ask you where you are, whats goin on and either come check on you or tell you to go back to land until its fixed.

It has been questioned by some of the fisherman (as you have also pointed out) as to why the disappearance of the HoneyDew II off of their monitoring system was not noted earlier. Especially when it was such a stormy night.

Supposedly (I'm not in a position to say for definite) it could have helped raise the alarm up to six hours before it was actually raised. It should be acknowledged though that the navy (along with the rest of the coastal services) would have been preoccupied that night with the sinking of the Pere Charles. There is'nt another night in local memory where two boats have gone down within hours of each other. Its a predicament everybody hoped could'nt happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement