Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first post, several questions...

• 16-01-2007 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all.

I’m in the process of finalising the purchase of a site with OPP in Monaghan, close to the border with south Armagh and would like to clarify a few issues before the main undertaking happens. I’ve a few queries that have been slightly alluded to in previous threads; if anyone could point me in the right direction I’d greatly appreciate it…

1) The site has been passed as a single storey dwelling. I’m hoping to amend this to a dormer/ one and a half storey. If possible, which would be a more suitable option and how would I do so? (I’m a serious newbie to all of this ;) )
    2) I’m hoping to elevate the proposed site by about 2 meters, and include a basement in the new plans – how realistic is it to get these features passed?
    3) The current OPP states a single ridge roof. Would this allow for a lower level roof running at right-angles to form a T shape if the main ridge remained un-broken? (hope this makes sense):rolleyes:
    4) The OPP states the external finish should be plaster/dash. Could I amend this to stonework?

There’s a few other minor issues, but these four are causing a bit of consternation at the moment… Any advice, links, comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think you need to sit down with your local planner and discuss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

1. If the OPP says single storey then thats that unless you reapply for a dormer/1,5 storey type.

2. Same as above - you are changing the number of storeys and thus it will be a different house. Check for a condition on the permission in relation to the finished floor level of the proposed house.

3. Again this would be contradicting the OPP and may be against their design policies.

4. You can look for stonework but just be careful as they could deem an application for permission consequent to be invalid as you did not comply with the conditions of the OPP.

A general observation is that you want a house completely different from what outline PP was granted for. Basically you can either run with the conditions as set out in the OPP and be sure of getting the type of house that THEY want you to build or you can decide to scrap the outline and go in with an application for full permission for the type of house that YOU want. If that failed you can always fall back to the outline again.

You will need an architect/technician/engineer in any event so discuss these points with him

Edit: Just after reading smashey's post - yes you can make an appointment with the planner and discuss your proposals before finally deciding which route to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bofo

Smashey and Muffler - many thanks for the quick responses!

I mightn't have made it clear in my initial ramblings, but I'm intending to re-apply for a new set of criteria in regards planning permission. It's really just to cover the 4 aforementioned areas - change to dormer, include basement, use a stone finish and perhaps investigate into looking at an alternative to a standard rectangular shaped build...

*In relationship to the proposed new basement - the conditions in the current OPP say that the max roof ridge height is 6000mm above finished floor level - would this take into consideration basement or ground floor living level? *

I was looking to discover if these would be too drastic measures to re-apply for, but if not how long would it regularly take to get processed?

Thanks again

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The 6 meter ridge height is definitely for a single storey house. It is measured from the FFL (finished floor level) but I suspect that there is either a condition on the OPP about the FFL or the permission has been granted based on a FFL shown on the site layout plan.

Im not sure as to what type of planning application you intend to make but I can tell you that you will have problems if you apply for permission consequent on the outline permission as your proposals differ substantially from the OPP.

Timescale is - A decision must be made or further information sought within 8 weeks of applying.

Much appreciated! All the help is greatly appreciated. It's good to know the limitations prior to making any re-applications etc.

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

sounds like u havent bought the site yet...

and if i were u i would try and go for a contract between u and seller that u only buy the site pending planning (for what u want)

that way if u get refused planning u are not left with a site that u can only build a house on that u will not be happy with...

Thanks for the pointer Construct, but i've actually committed to a contract at this stage... There's OPP for a single storey at the moment, but i'd prefere if it could be re-applied for a dormer and passed at that instead. I guess i'll try that when the paperwork is done in a few weeks time and take it from there.

Cheers again

Brendan

Advertisement