Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colin Murphy presenting the panel

Options
  • 16-01-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

He's definitely not a patch on Dara O'Briain, particularly with the guests, but he's not terrible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

He'll never be as good as dara-- ( whos stand up dvd is probably the best ive ever seen) But ya it was v good last night luckily that gob****e jason byrne wasnt there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Hopefully Dara's not going to disappear from it anytime soon as Colin's nowhere near his level yet. In fairness he can't be Dara has presenting experience stretching back to Echo Island. Good last night, neither of the Byrnes which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Murphy is OK, but is not suited to the "big chair", IMO. He is better when he is a panelist rather than chairing the discussion.

I think that O'Briain will be seen less and less on The Panel as his "Mock the week" show in England takes off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have any of you seen Murphy in the Blizzard of Odd? He can defo host a show but they are different formats.

I much rather the Blizzard of Odd to come back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Colin Murphy is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Colins is a fantastic panelist, if not the best. But he was shown up last night as a presenter, especially when dara arrived. dara was almost chairing the discussion at times especially when the the professor chap came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It was rubbish again last night, I think it's day has come. No doubt RTE will keep it on air for another 17 years anyway. Murphy is far better on the Blizzard of Odd, he's just not comfortable enough as the host of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

It has not had it's day. I think a lot of peopel would disagree with that!

It's one of the best programmes on RTÉ. It is without a doubt hit and miss at times, but the majority of the time it is really, really funny. It's also great to see such a good vehicle for Irish comedians, because they deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

i think colin is trying to hard at the moment. He will probably get better with more experience but in fairness it must have been hard for him with dara coming on last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think they need to mix up the panellists a bit more. Getting kinda sick of seeing the same faces (and indeed jokes) every week. Maybe get the odd foreign comedian in if they're available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

I dont think Colin is as good as a presenter as Dara, but sure that goes without saying. I agree that he sometimes attempts to 'hog' the limelight by waffling on a bit, but hes not bad as a stand in. (which is what it was originally said to be - temporary!)

I dont agree that the show has had it's day, I still crack up every week. My favourite panel line-up would have to be Andrew Maxwell, Neil Delamere, Colin Murphy and Karl Spain seems to alright too. Not a fan of the Byrnes' and whos that girl?! I really dont know why they have her on it. Its like whenever she says something its just *cringe* and the others have to quickly rescue whatever non-funny statement she's just made!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I'm going to be really p1ssed off if he takes Dara's place when/if he goes. He's so annoying...I used to find it funny but now he just p1sses me off - especially because Dara has been out the last few weeks. I would take an hour of Dara's 'ehs' than Colin Murphy. Don't particularly like Andrew Maxwell either but he has his moments like yesterday.

What's the other guys name, is it Karl Spain? Or have I got it wrong? Looks like he has a more permanent spot - and rightly so. What a great idea to solve drink driving 'let them take the driving test drunk, and if they pass it they can drive drunk!' classic.

Anyway, I say get rid of Mairead Farrel and Colin Murphy....

The ideal panelists:

Dara O Briain - Host
    Neil Delaware - Panelist (and stand in if Dara is busy)
    Karl Spain - Panelist
    Paulinne McLynne - Panelist
    that red-haired guy who was on a while ago - Panelist
    Andrew Maxwell - Panelist

with the last two alternating every few weeks.

Anyway, I say get rid of Mairead Farrel and Colin Murphy....

The ideal panelists:

Dara O Briain - Host
    Neil Delaware - Panelist (and stand in if Dara is busy)
    Karl Spain - Panelist
    that red-haired guy who was on a while ago - Panelist
    Andrew Maxwell - Panelist

Mairead Farrel - thats her name! Seriously does anyone else just cringe when she says something? Nice girl though, just shouldnt be on The Panel!

Dont think Pauline Mclynn is funny either, so keep her off. And yeah I agree that Neil Delamere would be a better host than Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

I think colin murphy as a presenter is woeful. he has no interviewing skills and he seems a bit dumb really.he'd really struggle to get anything out of a crap guest. Neil Delamere is great but i saw him hosting a programme on a comedy festival in canada and he was crap, didnt seem relaxed at all, i think pauline... would make a great host as she'd be able to ask the guests some questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The biggest problem to me with Colin, who I love as a comedian and thought Blizzard was brilliant, is that on the Panel he still seems to act like one of the panelists. The number of times he cut off some of the others last night so that he could tell his own joke was incredible, especially in the first half of the episode. He still needs to learn when to step back and let the others talk, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like him, but he doesn't seem that comfortable in the role. I think with a few more shows he'd do a better job, just seems to forget sometimes that he's the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Gah, no way! Neither herself nor Mairead Farrel are that funny, but at least there's something to look at with Mairead :p

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the female panalists all together tbh. Mairead Farrel is OK, Paulinne McLynne is alright, Grainne Seoige is fine in small doses (she'd be more suited to a news/political programme than a satirical programme), what's-her-name that does the Eircom ads is woeful. None of them are particularly funny when pitted against 4 stand-ups. Other than Deirdre O'Kane, I can't think of an female Irish stand-up.

That said, so long as they keep Fiona Looney away, I'll be happy ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The biggest problem to me with Colin, who I love as a comedian and thought Blizzard was brilliant, is that on the Panel he still seems to act like one of the panelists. The number of times he cut off some of the others last night so that he could tell his own joke was incredible, especially in the first half of the episode. He still needs to learn when to step back and let the others talk, IMO.

QFT. I also think he gets too into the jokes, and lets them run too long. Dara knows when to stop a joke and move on. No doubt Colin will learn in time, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 humphty

Did none of yee see the interview with Dara O Briain?
    Itwas always the layout of the show that the presenter would change and the panelists swap about.
    I have to say, I don't think theres been a decent female panelist yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

1. Colin Murphy, good and all as he is as a panelist is not as good a D O'B as chair - we seem to have general agreement. Dara, not necessarily funnier, just seems a better chairman, and quicker to come up with something funny himself if the pace is flagging.
    2. By unanimous verdict, of the women the panel has had sit in its token woman seat, all have been a complete waste of time.

With the loss of DOB surely this politically correct deliberate hobling of the show can no longer be indulged, and all five places must be occupied by someone with a chance of contributing.

The campaign for and end to the token woman starts here: field a candidate in a vulnerable constituency in the next election, march to RTE and chant unfunny slogans, burn effigies of Ireland female 'commedians' on O'Connell St, fund research into Female Humour Replacement Therapy, I dont know. But something MUST be done.

(BTW Karl Spain - very disappointing. Funny guy but just not suited to the style of show. And A Maxwell's "Brazilian" policeman - hilarious.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This show would be vastly improved by permanently getting rid of that goober Dara O'Briain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Crucifix wrote:
    He's definitely not a patch on Dara O'Briain, particularly with the guests, but he's not terrible either.

second that

Pigman II wrote:
    This show would be vastly improved by permanently getting rid of that goober Dara O'Briain.

Oooohh look at you deliberately trying to cause controversy... I dont for a second believe that you think that!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

*Simone* wrote:
    Oooohh look at you deliberately trying to cause controversy... I dont for a second believe that you think that!!

How is is causing controversy?

This thread is about Colin Murphy presenting the panel & not how great Dara O'Briain.

I'd agree with Pigman 2. I'd much rather see Colin Murphy present it(opinions may differ at this point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

He was good last night, but hes still demanding a lot of the attention, rather than directing the course of the conversation.

Also, whoever the girl was that they had on...nice new addition anyway.

*Simone* wrote:

oh noe, someone has a different opinion to you!!!! :rolleyes:

rb_ie wrote:
    whoever the girl was that they had on...nice new addition anyway.

Rose Of Tralee i think, only saw it for a few minutes last night but it looked like her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain, again though, she was filling the token women's position, where she has to interject with 'serious' questions every so often. Either get someone there to hold their own or go with another male comedian as in Blame the Nation.

I did notice that the camera man tended to linger on her more than anyone else, slim pickings eh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

She wasn't funny at all.

Ray D'Arcy seemed very uncomfortable. I thought David Norris was good though.

Advertisement