Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pattern Days

Options
  • 16-01-2007 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right section, mods please move if not.

Looking for any existing pattern days still celebrated today. If possible, the town/townland, patron saint and date would be of great help.

Thanks in Advance.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Patrún days, I think they're called. A lot of rural parishes in Ireland still have them. Often, they're tied in with a holy well day or the blessing of the graves in a particular parish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks Europerson,

I should have explained maybe a bit more. I do know what they are , I was just looking any specific information where and when they occur locally.

Thanks again.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

St Mullins in Co. Carlow have one every August (I think, its during the summer anyway).
    Saint is St Moling.

Just googled and its on July 25th, which is St Moling's Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

you are probably aware in some places it is kind of dying out.

i am not sure if its on anymore, but, there is a place called brideswell (st bridget's well is there) that use to hold pattern sunday. it was a whole week of festivity like irish dance/musician classes, story telling and other exhibitions in relation to the old days. the 2 pubs use to make a lot of money out of it (not saying they exploited or anything, they were very much involved in keeping the tradition going and contributed greatly) and of course a mass (think that was held in the cemetary on cam hill)

brideswell is in the parish of kiltoom or curraboy (not sure which) part of the athlone hinterland (10 miles out of athlone) on the roscommon side.

anyway it is worth findng out if it does be still held.i think it was on in the month of july

incidently what is actually the patterns all about, i use to go when i was a child but never really understood why they were held, just taught it was a thing villages did or was it solely dedicated to the patron saint of the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's huge in Ballylanders, Co Limerick. It's on the 15th(?) of August every year but goes on for a week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks all some great info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Castlegregory, Co. Kerry.

For some reason, it's traditional to make lamb pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Dromin, Co Louth. End of October, 1st week of November I think. Mass and blessing of the graves is the big thing there. No Holy well there AFAIK. But you could try contacting the church. Or may be a diocesan office asking about patterns generally. Might be an easy way of getting places, dates etc.

Like Europerson says patrún seems to be the word, at least that's how you hear older people pronounce it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I was at the exhibition A Time and a Place in the National Gallery last week (it's over now), and there was a massive painting called Pattern Day. It depicted such an event down the West somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There was one in Donaghmede (dublin 13) up to the 1950's associated with the holy well of St Donagh.The pattern was held on St John's Eve and involveed bathing in the well followed by a procession to another well in the grounds of Donaghmede house(still standing).The well was,as far as i can remember supposed to heal eye problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement