Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith College Law Dublin

Options
  • 15-01-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know how big class sizes are in Griffith College Dublin Law lectures i.e. how many people there are in each lecture? Also for the LLB how many hours do students have to do each week? And do you have a laugh at Griffith? Am transferring from UCD next September, would be grateful for any info! Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm presently in my final year doing the LLB in Griffith so i'll post what I know.

Class numbers gradually dwindle as the years go on but I guess that happens in all colleges, anyways in first year, class sizes could be anywhere from 55-100, depending on the class, its time and the lecturer.

Again the hours you have depends on the year you are in but, in first year you should have around 15 hours in lectures a week and maybe 2 in tutorials but tutorial attendence is usually very low.

In relation to the social aspect of the college things have changed dramatically since I first started. The college has completed the development of a new bar and restaurnat which in fairness are top class. The students union in my first 2 years had a realitively low presence but now they seem to organise plenty of events and there seems to be flyers for weekly nights out everywher these days. Whilst Griffith will never be able to offer the depth of social events UCD or DCU can offer, it certainly has made strides in the last year and as long as you make an effort with people you should have a good time.

I would definitley reccommend the LLB programme if you have an interest in doing law. The lecturers are top class, with some trully gifted people in their respective fields and they generally make an effort to get to know students and be as helpful as possible. As long as you are willing to put the work in, its a great subject to study.'

I was disappointed at first when I realised I wouldn't be able to study law in one of the big universities but now I sort of have a feeling that everything has its reasons. From the accounts of friends who study in the likes of UCD they generally tell me its sink or swim, with the lecturers not really giving a toss whether you understood the lecture or not and are really bothered whether you pass or not. With law, I feel that under those conditions I might have found it very difficult in first year. However, like I said, the lecturers really make an effort in Griffith to make sure you are understanding the subjects and provide you with good notes and exam preperations. I should stress that it is by no means a walk in the park and come second year you really are expected to put in some serious work but, the structures are all there in place for you to do this.

Hope this helped na dif you have any other questions just post em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'm presently in my final year doing the LLB in Griffith so i'll post what I know.

Class numbers gradually dwindle as the years go on but I guess that happens in all colleges, anyways in first year, class sizes could be anywhere from 55-100, depending on the class, its time and the lecturer.

Again the hours you have depends on the year you are in but, in first year you should have around 15 hours in lectures a week and maybe 2 in tutorials but tutorial attendence is usually very low.

In relation to the social aspect of the college things have changed dramatically since I first started. The college has completed the development of a new bar and restaurnat which in fairness are top class. The students union in my first 2 years had a realitively low presence but now they seem to organise plenty of events and there seems to be flyers for weekly nights out everywher these days. Whilst Griffith will never be able to offer the depth of social events UCD or DCU can offer, it certainly has made strides in the last year and as long as you make an effort with people you should have a good time.

I would definitley reccommend the LLB programme if you have an interest in doing law. The lecturers are top class, with some trully gifted people in their respective fields and they generally make an effort to get to know students and be as helpful as possible. As long as you are willing to put the work in, its a great subject to study.'

I was disappointed at first when I realised I wouldn't be able to study law in one of the big universities but now I sort of have a feeling that everything has its reasons. From the accounts of friends who study in the likes of UCD they generally tell me its sink or swim, with the lecturers not really giving a toss whether you understood the lecture or not and are really bothered whether you pass or not. With law, I feel that under those conditions I might have found it very difficult in first year. However, like I said, the lecturers really make an effort in Griffith to make sure you are understanding the subjects and provide you with good notes and exam preperations. I should stress that it is by no means a walk in the park and come second year you really are expected to put in some serious work but, the structures are all there in place for you to do this.

Hope this helped na dif you have any other questions just post em up.

The difference in lectures/lecturers in a private college as opposed to UCD would not surprise me. As someone with experience of studying in UCD I know how disorganised and sloppy presentation of courses can be. I would have expected a private college to be leaner, hungrier and less in the comfort-zone. Lecturers in the likes of UCD are, when established, literally unsackable and it shows. They are appointed because of some Phd research they did and their suitablity for lecturing seems not to be questioned. A private college not propped up by the state and dependent on establishing a reputation based on reality will be a different ball-game.

Advertisement