Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I quickly unload a banger but still make some cash?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

I have a 97 Fiat Punto. Engine wise she's fine. 68k on the clock and running sweet. Unfortunately there's a dent in the bonnet, the boot and the drivers side door. The clutch cable is also gone and the driver's side lock is busted due to some scumbag taking a screwdriver to it over Christmas.

Climbing in the passenger door was no fun and the clutch cable going was the last straw. I'd like to get a few quid for her, but scrappage is probably only going to yield me €100.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Zakalwe wrote:
    I have a 97 Fiat Punto. Engine wise she's fine. 68k on the clock and running sweet. Unfortunately there's a dent in the bonnet, the boot and the drivers side door. The clutch cable is also gone and the driver's side lock is busted due to some scumbag taking a screwdriver to it over Christmas.

Climbing in the passenger door was no fun and the clutch cable going was the last straw. I'd like to get a few quid for her, but scrappage is probably only going to yield me €100.

Any suggestions?

Break it
    sell parts on ebay ffor no reserve someone will buy and charge well for postage and the excellent packaging:DD.
    all the small bits first door handles window motors etc and once you have sold as much as you can then bring to the scrappie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Chunkychops

the only way to make money on that is to make sure u have it insured for fire and theft. Then tow it to Ballymun, Darndale or some other sh1thole and let nature take its course .. leavinga full can of petrol in the passenger seat will also help things along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

edit: In reply to the ebay comment.

That sounds like a job for someone with a) more knowledge of cars and b) more time.

Good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just ignoring the whole insurance fraud angle here: First off, that would require TPF&T insurance, and even then the insurance company will only cover the cost of replacement - i.e. all they'll give it is the cost of yet another banger, probably even a bit less.

Insurance fraud isn't me and besides I'd only end up with higher premiums and lose my no claims bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the only way to make money on that is to make sure u have it insured for fire and theft. Then tow it to Ballymun, Darndale or some other sh1thole and let nature take its course .. leavinga full can of petrol in the passenger seat will also help things along

I hope you are joking, Chunkychops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

:D OK just put ads up everywhere ie bords.ie buyandsell CBG for a 1€ and local rags but only free ads or you will be losing money pacing ads for 30€, if you ask ffor 400 and get 200 you will be happy and the person who bought it will think you are an easy touch and got it for half the price.
    right now Turtle wax colour enhanser, wax, son of a gun, a bag of rags and a hoover should be your best friends!!!!

I'm thinking that fixing the clutch cable and swapping the locks on the front doors would go a long way towards selling this.

Now, does anyone think I can fix a broken cable with a Haynes manual I plan to try and find in the library tomorrow and some general tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I thought that model punto had a hydraulic clutch? Are you sure its a clutch cable thats gone and not the whole clutch?

I know very little about cars. I assumed it was a cable.

97 1.1 Punto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

What happens when you try to use the clutch, is there a loud screeching noise and the car doesn't move ?

The clutch pedal is loose and I can't put her into gear.

The car somehow died while parked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I'm not sure if you can just swop the lock barrels. You might need to take them apart and fiddle with small components in order to get them to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I sure someone might buy it for banger racing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the best thing to do is advertise it for parts on buy&sell.net and adverts.ie. There are still a good few of these Puntos on the road so there should be someone looking for a cheap donor car. These sites are free so it will cost you nothing. Afaik a scrap yard charges you these days for taking a car off your hands.

Advertisement