Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Shields: My Bloody Valentine will "100%" Make Another Album

Options
  • 15-01-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

From Pitchfork today: :D
    Kevin Shields has revealed, in an interview published in the January/February issue of Magnet Magazine, that he intends to record another full-length with My Bloody Valentine. It would be the shoegaze overlords' first album since 1991's classic Loveless.
    "I do feel that I will make another great record," Shields told the publication. "We are 100% going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we die or something. I'd feel really bad if I didn't make another record. Like, ****, people only got the first two chapters, but the last bit is the best bit. It's just that it's taken me such an oddly long time for that to happen." Wait. Better than Loveless? Kev, we know good for press and everything, but holy crap, dude, what are you saying?

Given Shields' recent remix and solo work for Sofia Coppola films and Go! Team singles, the guy has a lot to prove-- although there's no question the album would certainly be one of the most highly anticipated releases of... whatever year it eventually comes out. As for what year that might be, Shields was hesitant to give any kind of timeframe. (Actually, the answer was, "I don't know," so let's just take this with a grain of salt altogether.) But Shields did have this to say, in defense of the band's inability, thus far, to follow their magnum opus:

"A lot of people say the reason My Bloody Valentine didn't make another record is because we couldn't. That's mostly true, but not because we couldn't make another record, but because I never could be bothered to make another record unless I was really excited by it. And just by fate or whatever, that never happened. I'm quite optimistic about the future, even though experience has taught me that I'm probably just delusional."

I'd still be amazed if it does happen...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭-Lithium-

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. Hear it. He wouldn't be Kevin Shields if he was great at getting his act together. Still, I really hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I thought it was amusing to see this up on the Pitchfork and NME sites as if it was major news.. Kev Shields has been periodically restating that he still wants to make new My Bloody Valentine music in interviews for years. I fear the window of opportunity for another great record may well have closed though, after 15 years.. It's funny because back when they'd just released Loveless they vowed that the next one would be recorded and put out extremely quickly to avoid the same dragging-on scenario.. If they had come out with a follow up straight away it would have at least prevented the huge pressure that would now inevitably arise from trying to compete with something that's become an indie monolith in the intervening years. I'm not going to get my hopes up of hearing anything new from him, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bah - whatever about MBV reforming and putting out a new record, Shields himself has done very little in the intervening period. Created some background noise for Primal Scream, compiled the Lost in Translation soundtrack - what else has he done? Thats not much return for 15 years.

Are the royalties from Loveless so good that he can afford to do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

He did a remix or two (for The Go Team and for something on the Marie Antionette soundtrack), they weren't too great.

He worked with Joy Zipper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

He's done quite a few other remixes too, none of them too memorable. However, the new stuff he did for Lost in Translation sounded promising so I do hope that at the very least he does a solo album.

• Advertisement
Advertisement