Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ in the UK in 1983?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

Over the xmas, there was a transmission of the 1983 football final between Dublin and Galway on 34W. After the match had ended, and with about 10 mins more interviews to go before the end of the transmission, Michéal O Hehir announced "and now we say goodbye to our viewers in Britain".

Anyone know how RTÉ was distributed in the UK in 1983?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Zaphod wrote:
    Over the xmas, there was a transmission of the 1983 football final between Dublin and Galway on 34W. After the match had ended, and with about 10 mins more interviews to go before the end of the transmission, Michéal O Hehir announced "and now we say goodbye to our viewers in Britain".

Anyone know how RTÉ was distributed in the UK in 1983?

Maybe Channel 4 were taking the RTE coverage. I know CH4 covered GAA at one point - think it was probably after this but they were quite into minority interests, so maybe they took the RTE feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

It was Channel 4. They used to show the All-Ireland football and hurling finals live in the 1980s. I think the coverage stopped when Setanta bought the overseas rights from the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Channel 4 used to show the Late Late Show too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Mystery solved. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Long ago Evesham or Worchester or some place there had a small cable system which had RTE 1 via VHF hilltop reception. I'm sure that was much earlier than 1983. Possibly even in 405line days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Watty!
    I presume the 'hill top' was receiving Channel B from Maghera?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not even being on Band I would fix the reception problems that would cause! It was either Kippure Band III or Band I 405-line off Kippure also. The only UK cable system I've heard of to carry RTE was the Rediffusion one somewhere close to Liverpool, and it was 405 line Band I from Kippure.

Mt Lienster or Kippure. Various Mt Lienster VHF/UHF services can easily be recieved in parts of Wales, Devon & Cornwall. Mt. Lienster more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

According to this page...

http://www.irish-tv.com/kippure.asp

It was Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Northern Correspondent!

Thank you for the info. I haven't visited rlogue's website for some time.
    Maghera did get a mention but Kippure is the one.

Pretty impressive coverage map :D

• Advertisement

Probably where I heard about it in the first place!

Watty: :D

I'd heard it from a regular on uk.tech.broadcast who'd told me about Rediffusion Cable in Worcester. Back in the sixties they relayed RTÉ in 405 lines from Kippure as they could get a workable signal from their location.

There was of course no Band I 405 from Kippure and the little squeak of a signal on channel 3 from Donnybrook would hardly get as far as Blackrock Baths, never mind Worcestershire!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was Band I on Kippure... your own site even says so! It was turned off RTE2 like the rest of them were however, so it depends on when yer man in Worcester was claiming to pick it up.

MYOB wrote:
    There was Band I on Kippure... your own site even says so! It was turned off RTE2 like the rest of them were however, so it depends on when yer man in Worcester was claiming to pick it up.
    Judging by the infamous "Teilifís Éireann, bealach a seacht" it would have been band III. Most likely to avoid near channel interference with Divis channel 1 since Donnybrook was on channel 3.

I know it's been a few months but hey, it's still on the first page. ;)

Nope, there was never any Band I from Kippure. Channel 7 in the 405 line days was a Band III channel - although there was a low power transposer at Donnybrook on channel 3 which was Band I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Looks loke some people are cofusing "Band 1" with "405 line"

On maybe the cable system downconverted it to Band 1 after recieving it off air from Kippure ???

Advertisement